Just got my Schecter C7 - String gauge question

• Thread starter Rev2010
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all. OK, just received my BlackJack C7, it's a beauty! Now, with my Ibanez AX7221 (24.75" scale) I've been using a set of Blue Steel DT's (13-56) and a single .070 string for the low B. That guitar is tuned down ADGCFAD and I like the heavy sound and all. Now that my new guitar is baritone scale (26.5") I know that those strings would like be way too tight cause of the extra string tension. I was wondering if there are any guru's here that may be able to tell me what string guages I should use to get a similar string tension feel as my short scale with the heavy strings. Thanks for any info.

Rev.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
a set of 10's would be a good place to start, IMO.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yeah, i'd probably try the GHS Boomers GB7M set, which is .010 to .060 as a starting point.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks Flobanez ;) One thing though... I've noticed that all baritone string sets are heavy gauge. Why is that if there's supposedly more string tension? I want to make sure to figure this out. So if I put a set of 13-70 on the baritone would the strings in fact be mega tight or would they be looser than on a 24.75"? Sorry about my confusion. It's just that after seeing all baritone string sets are of heavier gauge on musiciansfriend it got me wondering.

**EDIT - nevermind... just remembered baritones are tuned to B so that's why DUH :p

Rev.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
The whole "baritone" thing has been driving me nuts for ages. Many people (including guitar companies and retailers) refer to anything longer than 25.5" scale as a "baritone", and that's simply not the case.

You can have a 27" scale instrument tuned to standard pitch, and it'll result in more string tension (for the same gauge strings) and a tighter, snappier sound with a stronger fundamental frequency. (Lower frequencies results in longer wavelengths... if your scale length isn't long enough to accommodate the wavelength, you get a weak fundamental with too many overtones, making accurate tuning and intonation extremely difficult.)

Likewise, you can tune a 25.5" scale instrument down to B.

I would refer to the second example as a "baritone" before the first one, because baritone refers to the note range, not the scale length of an instrument. The longer scale length facilitates better intonation and a clearer fundamental, but it's not a necessary component of a guitar being a "baritone".

The 26.5" scale Schecters i would refer to as "extended scale instruments" but they really aren't "baritone" guitars by design.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I just went out and bought a set of D'Addario's 11-49 and a single .062 string. Hopefully that should be fine. I generally prefer a heavy string gauge so this should work out.

Rev.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
:yesway: I run 11-60 on my sevens - love the way they feel.

Congrats on a great new axe, bro. :hbang:

EverDream

Reaction score
darren said:
Yeah, i'd probably try the GHS Boomers GB7M set, which is .010 to .060 as a starting point.

yeah that's exactly what I use for A tuning, I use a regular .010 - .046 gauge set and then a .060 for the low A string. (that's on my schecter c7 blackjack)

and I too agree that Baritone is moreso a range of notes, and not a guitar length, but I still use the term baritone for longer guitars just because it sounds better (and it's easier) than saying 'extended length' lol. yep .010 - .060 should work nicely :)

jtm45

Reaction score
Do any of you find that speed-picking is more difficult with a heavier gauge (.58-.60) low B string ?

I hear some people say to go for heavier gauge and then others will advise that lighter gauge (even as light as .52 !!!) gives a far better sound and is better for fast picking.

I would have thought it would be very difficult to get enough tension from a .52 low B.
I'm struggling to get enough tension from a .54 low B even.

What's the score?!

EverDream

Reaction score
jtm45 said:
Do any of you find that speed-picking is more difficult with a heavier gauge (.58-.60) low B string ?

I hear some people say to go for heavier gauge and then others will advise that lighter gauge (even as light as .52 !!!) gives a far better sound and is better for fast picking.

I would have thought it would be very difficult to get enough tension from a .52 low B.
I'm struggling to get enough tension from a .54 low B even.

What's the score?!

When I first got my Schecter C7 it had .010 through .056 on it tuned to B. For me I couldn't stand the .056 was way too lose for my tastes, but now today I'm tuned to low A with .060 on the 7th, so I'm guessing a .058 would be perfect for B, however that's on the Schecter C7 which is longer than a standard 7 string. For a standard 25.5" length 7 string, well if you find it too rubbery at .054, I'd defintely try .058, seeing that .060 would probably be the best for rock solid tension, but since it is true (or at least I've noticed for me personally) that heavier gauges are harder to do fast picking on, you might want .058 or .056, the thing is if you're too loose, then there's no resistance and it's hard to pick fast as well! So you must find a happy balance, I'd say next set you get try one with a .058 on the 7th string, and if that's too hard to pick fast then go to .056, cheers! :)

jtm45

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice!
Like you say, i think it's a matter of experimenting with the different gauges until it feels right for me.
I'm relatively new to 7 strings so I suppose it's gonna' take a while to get properly sorted,lol.

I'm having fun getting there anyway! :hbang:

Mind Riot

Devoted seven stringer
Contributor
Reaction score
I run a .060 for my low A on my Schecter 007 Blackjack, which is identical to everdream's C-7 except for body shape. It also has the 26 1/2" scale, which is why I got it. I had a .056 before, just too loose. I don't find any problems with speed picking on a .060 but I played speed metal on bass in a band for six years so I'm really used to speed picking on heavy strings. If a bassist can do it, you can do it!

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
I find speedpicking easier on heavy strings as well. The reason is cause heavy strings don't move around as much when picking fast. They're more stable than lighter guage string which are more floppy.

Rev.

dav2321

Reaction score
I guess I'm the blacksheep here, with a set of 10s on and the extended scale of the Blackjack (B-E) I found bends and fast picking harder on the hands/wrists so I've gone down to 9s, I cant see myself going heavier than 10s without tuning down to reduce the string tension. Now with my Ibanez 7 (25.5) I usually have 10s and could go heavier with no problem. By the way my MM baritone came with a 70 (!!!) on the low B (28' B-E-A-D-G#-B) -that was changed the next day.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
dav2321 said:
I guess I'm the blacksheep here, with a set of 10s on and the extended scale of the Blackjack (B-E)

Not really. Keep in mind a number of us tune down to "A" so the thicker string guage is needed. If I were tuned to standard "B" I would be using 10's as I've always preferred heavier guages anyway.

Rev.

')