Just got new picks

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
I use these (3mm)
Buy Dunlop 475 Big Stubby Guitar Picks | Flat Picks | Musician's Friend
These (.53mm)
Dunlop Manufacturing :: Guitar Picks :: :: Stainless Steel Picks
and these (1.5mm)
Dunlop Manufacturing :: Guitar Picks :: :: Tortex® Sharp
interchangeably.

Ultex feels weird to me and Jazz picks just are just too small. I know, goes against the grain here. But I pick like the guitar insulted my mother, so the thicker/more rigid the pick, the better.

Sharp picks are great though! Very accurate and clean.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
^^^I hate little picks too.

I use orange tortes (can't remember the thickness) for largely rhythm playing stuff and a Jazz 3 XL for leads. You gotta have a hard pick for 11-54 in standard and re point just helps.

I'm by no means loyal to this pick, I'll use whatever's going. I just happen to have been given this pick and it's stayed with me.

Gryphon

Reaction score
I use these (3mm)
These (.53mm)
and these (1.5mm)
interchangeably.

Ultex feels weird to me and Jazz picks just are just too small. I know, goes against the grain here. But I pick like the guitar insulted my mother, so the thicker/more rigid the pick, the better.

I'm a big fan of the 1.5 mm tortex sharp as well. Gave the 2.0 mm Ultex Sharps a try and didn't like them. The 1.0 mm Ultex Sharps were pretty good though.

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
^^^I hate little picks too.

I use orange tortes (can't remember the thickness) for largely rhythm playing stuff and a Jazz 3 XL for leads. You gotta have a hard pick for 11-54 in standard and re point just helps.

I'm by no means loyal to this pick, I'll use whatever's going. I just happen to have been given this pick and it's stayed with me.

Dunlop_Tortex_.60mm_Orange12854310364c9e1efc20871.jpg

Blake1970

Reaction score
All I can use anymore are the Ultex picks as well. I use the .60 and find them to be very bright as well. I find other picks sort of dull the sound to much and these don't slip around between my fingers.

edsped

Reaction score
I use these (3mm)
These (.53mm)
and these (1.5mm)
interchangeably.

I like to really dig in with my pick as well, but I find that anything around 1.5mm and greater gives more of a "thuddy" attack. I prefer the snappier attack of 1.0-1.2mm picks. Anything thinner than like 0.9mm has more give than I like and the nice, strong snap starts to become more of a flap. Plus with really scratchy material like Ultex (or ultem) it feels even better to dig in with the pick.

MatthewK

Reaction score
I want to try the Jazz III in ultex, but I've gotten reeeeally used to the max grip carbon fiber.

')