Just how much tweaking

• Thread starter Selvmord
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Selvmord

Reaction score
does one need to do before just saying f*ck it this aint the pickup for me or maybe they arent installed correctly haha.

i know its a stupid question but I just feel like some of my p'up choices werent thought out very well.

this is what im working with

SEMI HOLLOW PRS SE = BKP MULE in the bridge

im actually ok with this choice. good warm tones at low gain settings. anything high gain just doesnt seem as clean or clear to me.

IBANEZ 7321 = I just put a EVO7 in the bridge. I dont feel like it gave me any clarity on the low end side but gave hella brightness on the high end side. it makes me not want to pick the damn thing up and play it.

IBANEZ rg321 = for whatever reason I put a steves special in the bridge. why..i dunno. loved the warmer tones i got but wasnt feeling the high gain stuff.

IBANEZ DX350 = put a crunchlab in the bridge. did so only because it was the rave of the week type thing so i said f*ck it lets see what happens.
im still undecided about this one. it is a tad to bright for me. ive got the bar toward the neck and havent tried reversing it yet.

and last but not least

IBANEZ SA bottom end series dont remember which one = Dimarzio D Activator
I tried this one in the 321 also and didnt like it so i figured let throw it in this one and see what happens. bright and defining if nothing else. still on the fence though as to if i have any real love for it.

all were installed by a "pro" so i dont think that would be the issue even though i wonder sometimes.

just looking for peoples 2 pennies on the subject.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
does one need to do before just saying f*ck it this aint the pickup for me or maybe they arent installed correctly haha.

i know its a stupid question but I just feel like some of my p'up choices werent thought out very well.

this is what im working with

SEMI HOLLOW PRS SE = BKP MULE in the bridge

im actually ok with this choice. good warm tones at low gain settings. anything high gain just doesnt seem as clean or clear to me.

IBANEZ 7321 = I just put a EVO7 in the bridge. I dont feel like it gave me any clarity on the low end side but gave hella brightness on the high end side. it makes me not want to pick the damn thing up and play it.

IBANEZ rg321 = for whatever reason I put a steves special in the bridge. why..i dunno. loved the warmer tones i got but wasnt feeling the high gain stuff.

IBANEZ DX350 = put a crunchlab in the bridge. did so only because it was the rave of the week type thing so i said f*ck it lets see what happens.
im still undecided about this one. it is a tad to bright for me. ive got the bar toward the neck and havent tried reversing it yet.

and last but not least

IBANEZ SA bottom end series dont remember which one = Dimarzio D Activator
I tried this one in the 321 also and didnt like it so i figured let throw it in this one and see what happens. bright and defining if nothing else. still on the fence though as to if i have any real love for it.

all were installed by a "pro" so i dont think that would be the issue even though i wonder sometimes.

just looking for peoples 2 pennies on the subject.

What sound are you trying to achieve and what amp are you using?

oh and what tuning do you use?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What does your rig look right and what are the settings you typically run?

Camer138

Reaction score
wierd.. i didnt find my crunch lab too bright witht he bar facing the neck.. and thats in my maple/walnut dc727.. towards the bridge is brighter.

Selvmord

Reaction score
usual tunings are anything from standard E or D for the sixer and B or Bb on the 7.

all gear is digital. theres not a specific amp sim i use because right now im really trying them all after giving up on the LINE 6 stuff.

i know its hard to answer because there really isnt a sound im going for but it just seemed like the only thing i could achieve was the low gain warmth or just that balls out LAMB OF GOD sound.

as far as the 7 goes......hell id be happy with just the low end cuttin through haha.

as far as settings go EQing is something thats beyond me at this point. im still of the old school plug that bitch in and go mindset. all the eq tinkering i did seemed to do more harm than good haha.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
as far as settings go EQing is something thats beyond me at this point. im still of the old school plug that bitch in and go mindset. all the eq tinkering i did seemed to do more harm than good haha.

This, bottom line is you might have to do some EQing.

Have you tried any SD pup's?

The JB has nice low end.
The Distortion has a nice mid range.
There is also the Custom (i havent had the opportunity to play one...but from what i hear they are one of the best pups they make)

Im plug and play too, but in the end you will always have to make some kind of adjustment.

I figured you were having a problem with clarity for drop tunings, not standard :lol:

What software are you using now?

rectifryer

Banned
Reaction score
Really, the essense of the tone will be there regardless of EQ. You can try nearly any mesa metal amp and get LOG within seconds with even shitty pickups. Whether or not its clear...........

What I am getting at, is that it has less to do with your pickups than it does your amp. Probably.

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
^That's a bit exaggerated, but for the most part true. Amp has a lot more influence on your overall tone. Cab/speakers play a big part too. Don't rule out pickups completely though. They do make quite the difference in tone. They're all voiced differently and have different responses to your playing. Some pickups will sound tighter and some will sound looser.

There is also the Custom (i havent had the opportunity to play one...but from what i hear they are one of the best pups they make)

They're friggin' amazing. I've never played a guitar with one that sounded muddy. Easily my favourite pup from Seymour Duncan.

')