Just ordered a Randall T2!

• Thread starter The Breakdown
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
It has a 12at7 in the poweramp, but that's not a poweramp tube the way we would think of one (like el34/el84/6l6, etc).

I wouldn't buy a broken amp unless you were interested in trying to fix it or paying to have it fixed.

Stuff like cutting out could be as simple as a broken cable or dirty Jack, or as complicated as some dead part like a burned out transformer or something.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
Normally the cutting out thing is a worn out 12at7 I think. The power section can eat them up, my guitarist went thru this.

Spinedriver

Reaction score
Actually it has 1 power amp tube bud.

I used to own one and mine didn't have one. From what I remember, there were 3 12AX7 tubes and 1 12AT7. It's possible that somehow the 12AT7 is connected to the power section somehow but I don't know if it would cause the signal to go in & out like that but it's entirely possible, I suppose.

I was never really sure if that tube was there for the effects loop or the power section. I only had mine for about a year or so and never ran into any problems that I can think of other than the footswitch not working and that was like that when I bought it (it was a floor model).

Last edited:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
The power amp tube is a preamp tube that's there to shape the tone, so I imagine that going out can cause some problems.

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
If a 12ax7 is in the power section, try a 12at7 in place of it. I bet it’d cut down on the hiss and feedback. If it’s still intermittent then pull the chassis and check for bad solder joints. Typically, with mosfet circuits; overheating is the cause of intermittent power. You might pick up a cheap digital temp lazer to find hot spots and buy a small computer fan to mount inside near the hot areas. Even punch a couple holes on top of the chassis to allow heat to escape; if that’s the issue

lewis

Reaction score
if worst case scenario the transformer is broken/

what can be done?. Can you get replacements easy?. Would a tech/shop know what they are doing?.
Is it expensive?.

so my choices are.
Risk this slightly worst for wear T2 that needs a retube and has this intermittent issue (that hopefully new tubes would solve) OR
a dude is selling one that has just been retubed, that looks in amazing condition for £400 and that includes insured delivery.

If I can get the 1st option for anything from £250-300 does that still make the most sense?.
Or shall I bite the bullet, and get the more expensive, better condition, new tubed one?

DudeManBrother

Reaction score
If it’s your buddy, maybe he can take it to an amp repair shop to get a quote for repair. Subtract the cost of repair from £400 and see if he’d go for it. Otherwise buy the one that works

DudeManBrother

Reaction score
If the transformer is marked then you can get a replacement. Some have no markings at all, so you’d have to contact Randall to find out the specs.

lewis

Reaction score
If the transformer is marked then you can get a replacement. Some have no markings at all, so you’d have to contact Randall to find out the specs.
did I read right that Randall are going under or something?.
Would getting a replacement part from them even work if that was the case? lol

Spinedriver

Reaction score
if worst case scenario the transformer is broken/

what can be done?. Can you get replacements easy?. Would a tech/shop know what they are doing?.
Is it expensive?.

so my choices are.
Risk this slightly worst for wear T2 that needs a retube and has this intermittent issue (that hopefully new tubes would solve) OR
a dude is selling one that has just been retubed, that looks in amazing condition for £400 and that includes insured delivery.

If I can get the 1st option for anything from £250-300 does that still make the most sense?.
Or shall I bite the bullet, and get the more expensive, better condition, new tubed one?

The T2 has quite a bit of output so I'm guessing a new transformer won't be cheap. Along with that, the fee a technician will charge to replace it will probably be just as much.

The 400 option is still a decent deal and if he guarantees it works, sometimes it's better to spend a couple of extra dollars & go the safe route than to gamble on a broken amp and it end up costing a lot more than you wanted to pay for it to begin with.

Spinedriver

Reaction score
did I read right that Randall are going under or something?.
Would getting a replacement part from them even work if that was the case? lol

I'm pretty sure they're still ok. They just released several new amps & pedals over the last few years but that doesn't always mean much. That being said, the T2 hasn't been in production for quite some time so I don't know how good the odds would be of getting a replacement from them would be.

lewis

Reaction score
just read on the Randall forum that someone explained they had the exact same issue and apparently replacing the preamp tube in V3 position solved the issue completely. So weirdly V3 position must be used for volume?

EDIT:
Just heard back from the guy selling at £400 and apparently
" It failed once so had a load of cheap capacitors replaced with high grade ones. And 2nd time he was an idiot and turned it off and on again without a break and it blew. He literally just got it back from repairs carried out by black magic amps and tested it then it has sat undisturbed since.

There s been no intermittent problems and it should be more durable than stock"

DudeManBrother

Reaction score
Yeah dude grab the one with the cap job. I doubt Randall would sell you a trans, they’d just, hopefully, give you the specs on the one they use. If v3 is the relative tube, it wouldn’t really pertain to volume specifically, it’s just the integral part at that stage of the circuit that delivers a reliable amount of DC voltage to the rest of the circuit. If it’s failing then everything after it stops working as well.

wakjob

Reaction score
I highly doubt it's the power transformer.
If the amp powers up and the tube filaments
glow ... it's working.

IF, it's using one of those preamp tubes as a
phase inverter, it's more than likely one of the
12ax7's. I don't think a 12at7 is robust enough
for the job.

Randall Co. had gone through so many changes
it's hard to tell if they be willing to let you service
your own amp and provide you with parts, schematics ect...

lewis

Reaction score
I highly doubt it's the power transformer.
If the amp powers up and the tube filaments
glow ... it's working.

IF, it's using one of those preamp tubes as a
phase inverter, it's more than likely one of the
12ax7's. I don't think a 12at7 is robust enough
for the job.

Randall Co. had gone through so many changes
it's hard to tell if they be willing to let you service
your own amp and provide you with parts, schematics ect...
thats reassuring as Im trying to get my bands 2nd guitarist to pick up the cheaper one needing a retube. He happens to be in the market.
And two of these T2';s in the same band has massive tone potential haha

Also, this whole album is apparently all T2 tones -

Spinedriver

Reaction score
Yeah dude grab the one with the cap job. I doubt Randall would sell you a trans, they’d just, hopefully, give you the specs on the one they use. If v3 is the relative tube, it wouldn’t really pertain to volume specifically, it’s just the integral part at that stage of the circuit that delivers a reliable amount of DC voltage to the rest of the circuit. If it’s failing then everything after it stops working as well.

I'm just wondering if it was a bad tube or if there's something else that caused it to go wonky.

lewis

Reaction score
the exact one I ordered -
s-l1600.jpg

Spinedriver

Reaction score
update:
Just pulled the trigger on the £400 one.
She be mine!
Ive always always wanted a Randall Head.... \m/

Congrats !
I have a feeling you won't be disappointed. The thing has some SERIOUS low end, so I hope you have a good cab to go with it. Here's the video that helped me decide when I was looking at one. The 'high gain' starts at around 1:40 or so..

lewis

Reaction score
Congrats !
I have a feeling you won't be disappointed. The thing has some SERIOUS low end, so I hope you have a good cab to go with it. Here's the video that helped me decide when I was looking at one. The 'high gain' starts at around 1:40 or so..

thanks man!

I will do a NAD thread.
Also my cabinet is, a 4x12 loaded with two V30s & two K100's in an xpattern!!!!!! \m/
perfect for this amp.

')