Just placed an order on a Carvin DC727... here are the specs

• Thread starter Clydefrog
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Clydefrog

Reaction score
Been hemming and hawing over this thing for a while now, and I finally decided to pull the trigger. Talked to Don over the phone and got the specs finalized, so hopefully within 7-8 weeks I will be able to update this post with a NGD and pictures galore.

Never played a Carvin, so I hope I'll be able to adjust to the neck change (been playing 7621's and 7421's my entire 7 career).

On with the stats:
MAH - Maple Neck/Mahogany Body $50.00 - Didn't want to go with alder, wanted to try mahogany.
CS - Satin Matte Finish $0.00 - I like the look of satin.
RG - Radiation Green Metallic $25.00 - Green is my favorite color.
BST - Blackburst Edges $30.00 - Never once seen a radiation green guitar with blackburst edges. Wanted to try it.
5M - 5-Piece Maple Neck w/ 2 Koa Stripes $120.00 - Kind of a waste, but why not?
PSN - Painted Satin Finish Back Of Neck (Matches Body Color) $60.00 - This part I'm not too sure about.. we'll see how it turns out. Anyone with experience here?
-PH - Headstock To Match Plain Wood Body Color (Standard) $0.00 - Duh
-Maple fingerboard w/Black Dots $0.00 - I'm probably going to wind up putting Space Invader sticker inlays on it, but we'll see. Maple is so yummy.
-DI - Dot Inlays (Standard) $0.00
STJF - Stainless Jumbo Frets .055" H .110" W $40.00 - Heard too many good things about these to not try them.
-R14 - 14in Fretboard Radius (Standard) $0.00
-C26B - C26 Bridge Pickup $0.00 - Will be swapping out for a Crunchlab most likely.
-C26N - C26 Neck Pickup $0.00 - Will be swapping out with a Liquifire most likely.
-400 - Black Coils w/ Black Bezels (Standard) $0.00
BC - Black Hardware $30.00 - Wasn't sure if I should go with this or chrome. Still not sure :\
-1056 - Elixir Light Gauge .010 - .056 (Standard) $0.00
WL - White Logo $0.00
HC11 - Form-Fitted ABS Hardshell Case $54.00
Custom Shop Total: $1,258.00

There it is. Radiation green + blackburst body/edges, maple fretboard. I had considered going no inlays, but I owned a no inlay guitar once and couldn't get along with it, even with the side dots.

Expect an update when this thing comes in.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

potatohead

Reaction score
Sounds very cool, but wondering why you're going five piece neck when you're just going to paint over it?

Clydefrog

Reaction score
That's why I said it's kind of a waste, but if I ever decide that I don't get along with a painted neck, a good sanding will let the 5 piece beauty come out. Sort of a precautionary measure.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
I would get the back of the neck tung oiled.
the DC727 I had , was like that and it was killer ,plus you'l be able to see the 5 piece neck.

potatohead

Reaction score
I would get the back of the neck tung oiled.
the DC727 I had , was like that and it was killer ,plus you'l be able to see the 5 piece neck.

I agree. If it's a money thing, ditch the five piece and get it tunged anyway. I personally hate painted necks, but some people don't mind them.

Bigfan

sixstringer
Reaction score
You are not going to regret it, man, although I hope you're not planning on ever selling it though, as Carvins go down to about 35-45% in value used in mint condition.

potatohead

Reaction score
You are not going to regret it, man, although I hope you're not planning on ever selling it though, as Carvins go down to about 35-45% in value used in mint condition.

This was more true five years ago than it is true today. The problem has always been, why would someone pay 80% the price for something that may not be exactly what they want when they can pay a bit more and get exactly what they want.

Dirtdog

"Wicked Sensation"
Reaction score
I love my lefty Carvin 737. It is the best guitar I have ever played. I got mine with a floyd route with just the locking tuners and it just opens up the sustain. Not to mention the neck thru. The stainless Frets are the bee's knee's and I have a birdseye maple fretboard which is killer.

potatohead

Reaction score
I got ahold of Don and had the back of the neck changed to tung oil instead of painted, so now we'll be able to see the beautiful 5 piece.

Going to be rad.... (get it? :lol:)

Now, if it was me, I would leave the headstock unpainted so you can see the lines running through on the frontside. But all green is very cool too.

Clydefrog

Reaction score
The only thing that sucks is not having a guitar for 2 months. Sold my 7621 to fund it (wound up getting $780 for it, blew my mind). So that alone paid for 70% of the damn Carvin. I guess this will give me time to learn how to play bass better.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
I got ahold of Don and had the back of the neck changed to tung oil instead of painted, so now we'll be able to see the beautiful 5 piece.

You will NOT regret this decision... It just slays any sort of painted necks when it comes to feel! :yesway:

Looking forward to seeing it ready! My DC727 is one of the best guitars I've ever played. Just beautiful.

rug

Reaction score
I just bought my first 7 today, but I've ALWAYS had my eye on a Carvin 727. Can't wait to see pictures, Carvins are just gorgeous.

GiantBaba

omnicidal godmachine
Contributor
Reaction score
Can't wait to see this since Rad. Green w/ blackburst is one of my dream Carvin finishes. Gonna be awesome.

max-streich

Reaction score
why are you guys getting that cheap prices for the carvin guitars? When i "build" myself a guitar the price I get is about 2500-2800€. Why?

max-streich

Reaction score
no, I think it´s kind of weird that when I choose similar specs to yours that there is such a big gab betwenn those 2 prices.

')