Just saw Metallica (1/27) Here is my review

• Thread starter GH0STrider
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GH0STrider

Resident Gangsta
Reaction score
First off let me give mad props to Machinehead. Holy fuck. They played nothing but material of their last two albums which are their best imo. Those guys are seriously underrated guitar players. Man can they play and thier tone was fucking to kill for. So yeah, Machinehead- getting things started the right way. The sword played before Machinehead but I really couldn't get into them at all.

SO onto the big show-

Metallica!

They had these massive coffins hanging from the ceiling that had all their lighting attached to them. There was a laser show and of course a healthy dose of pyro.

As for the band. They were pretty spot on. It was a very tight show. Lars didn't get off beat or speed things up either. They probably played at least 5 or 6 songs from death magnetic. I have to say I didn't really care much for the record itself but these songs were awesome live. They have so much energy and great dynamics for a live song. It really makes me look at that record a bit diferently now. There was no bullshit medly stuff either. Every song that they started they played in it's entirty. There was a good amount of older material; bells, one, master, sanatarium, sandman, sad but true, unforgiven, seek and destroy, ect.

All in all I couldn't believe, especially after all the bad reviews, how much ass these guys were able to kick. The only dark spot on the night was a screw up on kirk's part. During the chorus for "Sad but true" he came in with the medlody a tad bit late. I think only die hard musicians/fans could have picked it up. but whatev, not a big deal.

Tone- Their tone was very remonicent of the earlier metallica records I thought. I bit gainier and tighter but all in all good. I really thought James' clean tone was impressive too. Crystal clear. The one thing I want to point out ,which I thought was hilarious, is that they sounded their best when they were playing guitars that were not ESP. They both had a few Gibsons with them too. In fact, Kirk probably played half the set with either a LP custom or a flying V. James brought out the old white explorer for a few spots too. But man they just killed the esp's. Kind of interesting I thought.

I must say, give these guys a shot. Go see them for yourselves and ignore the crappy reviews. They fuckin slayed. I felt there was a lot of emotion and passion put into every song too. Maybe they aren't as "angry" as people want them to be or whatever. But they all looked they were having a blast playing music and it was just an inspiring sight. A+ and worth every fucking dime spent.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
I saw them in Boston last week and man, they blew me away.

Not a single song from Load/Re-Load/St. Anger.....they played, "Battery", "Harvester Of Sorrow", fuckin "Hit The Lights"....KILLER SHOW.

Best live guitar tones (Next to Dimebag) I've ever heard....

No yodeling or "Babaaaayyy!" from James.....Lars fuckin rocked all night...

The best I've ever heard those guys.

Reaction score
I saw them in Boston last week and man, they blew me away....they played "Harvester Of Sorrow"

Hell i would've gone to that show just to see them play "Harvester Of Sorrow". I personally think "...And Justice For All" is the best album Metallica EVER put out, and ever will put out for that matter.

Luuk

Reaction score
I saw them in Boston last week and man, they blew me away....they played "Harvester Of Sorrow"
Hell i would've gone to that show just to see them play "Harvester Of Sorrow". I personally think "...And Justice For All" is the best album Metallica EVER put out, and ever will put out for that matter.

Me too. Since I've seen that moscow performance on vid, I just wanna see Harverster live played by 'tallica!

TheHandOfStone

E♭M7(♭5)
Reaction score
This review doesn't surprise me at all. I saw them back in 2004 on their Madly in Anger Tour and St. Anger was the only "newer" song they played that night. I was impressed. :scream:

GH0STrider

Resident Gangsta
Reaction score
blasphemy!!!!!!

the emg 81's are why IMO
those things blow donkey cock

yeah except everything but Kirk's gibson V were emg equipped. So you'll have to think some other reason why their esp's don't measure up to their gibsons my friend. :fawk:

Latest posts

')