Just scored a unique 7

• Thread starter darren
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
It's the "sub par" nature of them that makes Danelectros so cool!

I mean, come on... the guitar's body is a plywood frame with a masonite top and back! The original pickup housings were made from surplus lipstick tubes!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Precisely!

There are some sound clips of the Mod 6 here.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Sweet. It's like having all the vibe of an old baritone Dano, but with the full range of a seven string. I bet it jangles like the Beatles.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
The obligatory pics...

full_frontal.jpg

body.jpg

lipstick_tubes.jpg

chickenhead.jpg

down_the_strings.jpg

player.jpg

So far, i'm really pleased with it. It's in immaculate condition, and the neck plays really nicely. The action needs to come down a bit, and it needs heavier strings, but it's got a lively, jangly sound when played unplugged. I cannot wait to plug this into my rig tonight!

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
Cool Darren! You'll get some unique tones for sure!

metalrod

Reaction score
dude i only buy danelectro guitars cause i like to break them after a show. When I smash them on the stage they have a nice shattering effect which really gets the crowd going! :scream:

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Hey, if you have any spare Danelectro parts you want to get rid of, send 'em my way!

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure standard lipstick tube pickups are wider than normal 6-string pickups. A few pickup manufacturers make "strat-size" lipstick tubes that you can install in a Strat without modifying the pickguard. So i think regular lipstick tubes are wide enough to be used on a 7.

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
That's really cool :D I know Jagori Tanna from I Mother Earth used a Jerry Jones baritone guitar on a couple tracks on their last album and it sounded great. While this is a Danelectro, not a Jerry Jones, it'll probably sound a bit different, but it should be a similar kind of idea (vintage, twang kinda sound, but with those nice heavy low notes).

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Leon said:
And that's exactly how it sounds!

I was getting some awesome sounds out of it last night through my rig. It has a gritty, snarly sound when pushed, but also has a quirky single coil sound that's got a bit of strat-esque twang to it, but with a more hollow-sounding timbre. It's a really interesting voice.

But it can also grind it out when you flip the "blower" switch that activates all the pickups in series. That means it runs the output of one pickup into the input of the next. The sound is HUGE!

I had a blast playing it. It does need a setup and some heavier strings, but it is light and comfortable, the fretboard is absent of sharp fret ends, and the neck has a pleasing shape that isn't too thin or too club-like.

It's got an interesting and unique sound that is sure to inspire more gnarly riffs in the future. I'm really happy with it. If you guys see one out there, you should give it a try. It may not be metal, but it's a hell of a lot of fun, and its sound is complementary to just about anything else you guys are playing.

jim777

Seen all good people
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Sounds pretty good, I'm glad you like it so much after looking for one for so long. Nothing like a happy ending ;)

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
darren said:
I was getting some awesome sounds out of it last night through my rig. It has a gritty, snarly sound when pushed, but also has a quirky single coil sound that's got a bit of strat-esque twang to it, but with a more hollow-sounding timbre. It's a really interesting voice.

Oh, man, I really want one now. The cheap guitars of the past had a cool vibe to 'em that cheap guitars of the present do not have.

jim777

Seen all good people
Forum MVP
Reaction score
noodles said:
Oh, man, I really want one now. The cheap guitars of the past had a cool vibe to 'em that cheap guitars of the present do not have.

Couldn't agree more with that! :agreed:

')