Just starting out - Songs to Learn?

• Thread starter metalmaiden
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

metalmaiden

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm new at the guitar. I am looking for some songs to learn (preferably metal). I can play most of 'Paranoid' by Black Sabbath, 'One' by Metallica (excluding the second and third solos), some AC/DC and Zeppelin riffs...but I can't seem to learn a song the whole way through.

What are some songs you would suggest I work on to improve my playing and confidence? Which songs would be simple enough to learn the whole way through (note for note) and yet challenge me just that extra bit?

Any advice would be appreciated :) Thank you :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rosal76

Reaction score
I would suggest "Seasons in the abyss" by Slayer. Pretty cool song to learn. Easy riffs and easy solos. If you can play the beginning of "One" by Metallica, then Seasons shouldn't be too much of a problem for ya. :cool:

Dawn of the Shred

Member Since 2012
Reaction score
Walk by Pantera fun and easy to learn. Chelsea Grin has some fun and easy songs to play. Just play what u like start slow and you will catch on man.

feilong29

Reaction score
I've been out of practice for over a month due to school, and started out with some As I Lay Dying (Confined), Killswitch Engage (Rose of Sharyn, Take This Oath) and some August Burns Red (Truth of a Liar) to help me condition my chops. They have some gallop-type riffs, as well as some string skipping riffs and pedal riffs... perfect for metal!

K4RM4

ss.org Lurker
Reaction score
Atreyu has some easy songs - lip gloss and black, right side
Deftones - anything really, great for rythym work
Godsmack - I stand alone, re-align(minus solo, maybe)
Kittie - lots of peeps have forgotten the blissful simple, yet effective female quartet of awesome metalness. Kitties older stuff is really easy, but their guitar work has vastly improved with their latest two albums.
Static-X - Black and white
Trivium - Like light to the flies, in waves, pull harder on the strings of your martyr
Chevelle - one guy handles most of the guitar work and sings, so he keeps things simple yet effective, so almost everything.
Lacuna Coil - Swamped, Spellbound (easy solo, too)
Still Remains - worst is yet to come
Devildriver - I dreamed i died
Skillet - Christian metal, but Monster is really easy and fun to play.

Keep an open mind and some of these will be great fun to play along to.

Bennykins

Reaction score
In addition to the stuff already mentioned, I would check out some of the older Sepultura and Machine Head songs - some great riffs to be found there. Also Alice in Chains songs are real good to start out with.

Reaction score
When I started playing it was all about metallica. Metallica's "kill em all" has some really easy and amazing riffs to learn. KISS, Iron Maiden, a lot of classic metal and hard rock will get you moving. Lots of black metal is pretty easy as well. It all depends on your taste. The At the gates song "blinded by fear" is really easy and sounds awesome too. Hope that helps.

acrcmb

Reaction score
Definite agree with Deftones stuff you use a wide range of tunings and they have songs of different difficulties aswell, they're great for learning rhythm

Rosal76

Reaction score
Another song I would like to suggest is "Where the slime live" by Morbid Angel. This song is stupidly simple but very cool to learn because of the strong groove that it has. You could probably learn all the riffs in one day!!! :agreed:

However..., the solo is another story because Trey Azagthoth's guitar solos aren't exactly laid back. You could probably learn the solo in 2-3 days depending on how much time you put into it. :cool:

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Pantera - Floods
Beavis and Butthead Theme
Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix
Fade to Black - Metallica (Challenging for a beginner but doable)
Nothing Else Matters - Metallica
Santeria - Sublime

Stealthtastic

Doesn't play guitar
Reaction score
Atreyu has some easy songs - lip gloss and black, right side
Trivium - Like light to the flies, in waves, pull harder on the strings of your martyr, (Gunshot to the head of trepidation, rain,dying in your arms, built to fall, ascendancy.)

:agreed:

:agreed:
I played these songs every damn day, they are so fun to just play around on. Same with Shattering the skies above and once you get a 7 most of the shogun album.

Friendroid

Reaction score

DarkWolfXV

Excised n anatomised
Reaction score
Carcass is pretty simple, maybe intermediate. Corporeal Jigsore Quandary has really awesome riffs, so you might look into that.

MyNameIsMax

Reaction score
Machine Head has some sick riffs that you could probably learn. I used to play some of their stuff when i was still kind of starting out

Hipster Holocaust

Reaction score
Spawn of Possession looks like a good starting point

Yeah right.

Sabbath's best riffs are in C# standard tuning. Into the Void and Symptom of the Universe are 2 of the most badass riffs every conceived.

But I'm guessing you're using E standard tuning, so these songs:
Opeth - Master's Apprentices (I think that's the correct title)
Celtic Frost - Dethroned Emperor, Petty Obsession, Procreation of the Wicked, and Circle of the Tyrants.
KISS - God of Thunder.
Iron Maiden - Powerslave.

')