Votes: 20 83.3%
  • Ibanez Apex 1

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Ibanez Apex 100

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters

WhoThenNow7

Reaction score
I know it's pretty much a no brainer, majority wise at least. But I have never played the Apex 1 or the Apex 100. I have an '01 firespeak blue K-7 and love it to death. How do the three guitars compare/differ and which do you prefer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DarkRain93

Banned
Reaction score
The K7 looks and sounds better to me. Plus you can choose between Head's or Munky's guitar, the gun metal grey or firespark blue.

Daf57

5 7s in 4ths
Reaction score
I voted K7 but it's close, to me personally, between it and the Apex 1. I agree the finishes on the K7 are a bit better. But both are great guitars.

I haven't played the 100 so can't make that call.

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
Love the K7, and I'm on a nationwide search right now to find a 2003 or newer K7. Only looking for 2003 or newer because they have thinner necks than the earlier models.

On the Apex 1, the inlay kills it for me, otherwise I'd grab one of those (they're on the 'bay all the time).

Apex 100 is a nice guitar too, just not my aesthetic... nor my favorite tonewood.

toiletstand

/\'...'/\
Reaction score
k7s were one of the first guitars i ever lusted over. i do love the apex 100 though. maybe one day ill get lucky and find one used for a good price.

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
k7s were one of the first guitars i ever lusted over. i do love the apex 100 though. maybe one day ill get lucky and find one used for a good price.

I saw an Apex 100 on the 'bay about a month ago, supposedly in mint condition, for around $1300. Seller had excellent feedback, good pics, free shipping, etc. No one was bidding on it. I couldn't believe it. Auction ended early/abruptly, so someone must've made an offer outside said auction.

Last edited:

WhoThenNow7

Reaction score
The K-7 will always be best in my eyes. I feel that the Apex 1 would be similar, but the Apex 100 surely has to have a noticeable difference sound wise due to the single coil pickup? I'd love to have a 100 though, looks real nice in my opinion.

Chris O

Not The Dude...
Reaction score
I've had all of them. The K7's were the best of the group in both feel and sound.

NorCal_Val

Reaction score
I voted K7; of course, I'm a bit biased as I just picked one up!
(Sorry for the spectacularly craptacular picture!)
photo_zpsb3555918.jpg

While I don't agree with the prior owner's painting the U-Bar and volume knob neon green,
it's an excellent playing/sounding instrument!!
I'm guessing because of the body being Mahogany, it has a different resonance to it than
my Universe and Prestige 7, it sounds a bit "darker".
I'm not sure what p'ups it has in it though, but they don't seem
to be hot; when I picked it up at GC, I ran it through a re-issue Fender Twin and it had this
great piano-like clarity through all the strings.
Acoustically, and through a clean amp, it has wonderful sustain. The neck seems to be
on the thin side, but not overly so.(it has the old style Floyd nut with bolts through the
neck unlike my Prestige which is top mounted)
I do like the Firespark Blue color; very nice. And the pearl-oid neck binding is a nice
bit of eye-candy.
Really looking forward to running through my amps and comparing/contrasting it to
my other 7's!

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
^ Sweet! I actually called GC about that exact guitar a week or so ago. I would've bought it myself except that I'm specifically looking for 2003 or later.

Reaction score
I own a K-7 and an Apex 2. Tried the Apex 1, still love the K-7, very versatile guitar imo. I've used it live and in the studio for death metal to funk, never dissapointed me.

')