Kahler/Floyd Rose question

• Thread starter Riff Obsessed
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all

I've just got a project off the ground (check the link in my sig if you're interested), and neither of the 6 strings I have at the moment are up to the task, and I can only really afford to buy one new guitar cause I've only got a part time job. But seeing as the 6 string songs are in both D standard and Drop C, I'm looking to figure out a way to be able to get a full floating trem in Drop C but a fixed bridge in D Standard on the same guitar.

I've been doing some research, and I'd figured I'd ask here for anyone that's used the Kahler Drop Stop thing (had a quick look but couldn't find anything other than the site that sells them). I know they can convert to a fixed bridge easily as well as do drop tunings, but I'm not sure if they can do what I want it to do without having to retune manually.

The other thing I can do possibly is use a Floyd with a D-tuna and a Tremol-no. I've heard of people using this to have a floating trem in standard tunings and a fixed trem in drop tunings, but I've never heard of people using it in reverse, which is ideally what I would like.

Any advice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Are you going to need both fixed and floating in the same song or in the same set?

To be honest, there's no method I've found to instantly go from fixed bridge to floating, in a different tuning, that works within the confines of a single song.

Though, let's lay out some facts:

A locking nut will make changing the note almost impossible on the fly.
A D-Tuna will not allow for full floating, only "dive only".
A Tremol-No will need to be accessed from the back of the guitar to change it's settings.
The Kahler will require an allen-key to turn a screw to make it fixed.

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
The main problem you're going to run into with the Dtuna is it hitting the guitar on pull-ups. You'd have to set it up floating with it in the out position.

You could possibly pull it off, but you'd have to put the tremol-no into fully locked before pushing the Dtuna in to go to the D standard tuning.

Pablo

Resident Wanker
Reaction score
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but what you're requesting simply isn't out there... I'd block the trem so that it will only allow for detuning - and here the D-Tuna would truly come in handy.

Cheers

Eske

Reaction score
Originally posted by MaxOfMetal
Are you going to need both fixed and floating in the same song or in the same set?
Just the same set, not the same song. Some of the songs I've done in Drop C have some Morbid Angel-type noise leads, but none of the songs in D standard have any trem use, which is why I was hoping I could solve the problem this way. Thanks for your help, time for plan B...

Bobulot

GRANDMAAAAAAAAAAAA
Reaction score
I've actually thought about doing something similar, except with dropping a B to an A. The solution I came up with as applied to your situation would be setting up a guitar with a Kahler, locking nut and something like a Sperzel D thing or a hipshot xtender on the low string. You would set up the bridge to float in drop C, then when tuning up:
1.lock the kalher to prevent the tuning change from affecting the other strings
2.unlock nut on the fifth and sixth string, flip the tuning machine to raise the sixth string from C to D
3.do the reverse to go pack to drop C floating
I ended up not going through with it (yet) because of the cost of buying all that stuff with the possibility of ending up a cent or two out of pitch each time which would bug the shit out of me. You'd most likely have to fiddle with the fine tuners on the fifth and sixth strings after every lock and unlock at the nut.

anthonyferguson

Reaction score
Just set it up so your 6th string fine-tuner as far in as it can go for D and tune it down to C quickly before the next song

I have my floyd set up like that all the time. only that way you'll have to have it floating all the time.

Latest posts

')