Kahler Hybrid vs Pro Series?

• Thread starter heffergm
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

heffergm

Reaction score
I've been reading everything I can find on wammiusa and and kahlerusa, and aside from a rather vague note about the Pro series being "hand crafted" and the Hybrid "factory made", I can't figure out what the real difference is. Given the $150 or so price spread, I'm going to assume it's in materials.

Anyone know the details?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JesseTheMachine

Reaction score
I'd say that the hybrids are made of cheaper metals and maybe aren't machined to the same tolerances as the Pro models... Also, as stated on the Kahler website, a hybrid unit has a convenient allen key on the back that you can use to fix the bridge in place.

heffergm

Reaction score
I'd say that the hybrids are made of cheaper metals and maybe aren't machined to the same tolerances as the Pro models... Also, as stated on the Kahler website, a hybrid unit has a convenient allen key on the back that you can use to fix the bridge in place.

I noticed the fixed bridge bit... why that isn't an option on both is a little bewildering.

Reaction score
I've read that all the new Kahlers are casted and not machined. I'm pretty sure they will be total crap just like the old POS Kahlers that sucked really, really bad.

Edroz

new album soon!
Reaction score
I've read that all the new Kahlers are casted and not machined. I'm pretty sure they will be total crap just like the old POS Kahlers that sucked really, really bad.

i guess that's why the "old POS Kahler" on my Charvel is still going strong... i've been around Kahlers for years, and always found them to be top notch trems. hell, i'm having a KxK Sii-7 built with one right now.

heffergm

Reaction score
i guess that's why the "old POS Kahler" on my Charvel is still going strong :rollseyes:... i've been around Kahlers for years, and always found them to be top notch trems. hell, i'm having a KxK Sii-7 built with one right now.

Edroz, are they using a Hybrid (7327) or a Pro (2327)?

Edroz

new album soon!
Reaction score
Edroz, are they using a Hybrid (7327) or a Pro (2327)?

IIRC Rob (KxK) will only use the pro series Kahlers, as he doesn't feel the quality is up to par with the Hybrids... i ordered the 2317 for my build.

heffergm

Reaction score
IIRC Rob (KxK) will only use the pro series Kahlers, as he doesn't feel the quality is up to par with the Hybrids... i ordered the 2317 for my build.

Ok, that seals the deal on whether I'll go Pro or Hybrid. Thx for the info.

Reaction score
i guess that's why the "old POS Kahler" on my Charvel is still going strong... i've been around Kahlers for years, and always found them to be top notch trems. hell, i'm having a KxK Sii-7 built with one right now.
I owned two guitars that didn't stay in tune worth a shit with Kahlers on them. Also, I didn't like the feel or anything about the way they worked. If you had a good experience with them, that is awesome. In a sense, I am envious. Kahler seems to be a real night and day type of products where some folks love them for what they are and others can't stand them. I would love to play a Kahler equipped guitar that worked right and didn't go sharp on palm mutes, but I haven't. The sloppy screw in bars where horrible as well.

heffergm

Reaction score
I would love to play a Kahler equipped guitar that worked right and didn't go sharp on palm mutes, but I haven't. The sloppy screw in bars where horrible as well.

That seems incredibly weird to me (the sharp on palm mutes bit) given that, unless you had your picking hand WAY back on the cam, this isn't really possible with a Kahler, at least not like it is with a Floyd, since the forward portion of the bridge doesn't move. Who knows... there are a million reasons you can get a bad impression of something (bad setup, broken parts, etc).

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
It seems to me that any trem, Floyd, Kahler, Wilkinson, etc. can be glorious or complete shit, depending on the skill of the tech who set the guitar up.

Reaction score
I talked to Josh about that subject the other day ,and he stated that the Hybrids have parts made in other countries ,and the material quality is not as high as Pro line.
He was also asking me what kind of sound I need ,so if the Hybrid would be enough for me.
The 2327 and 2328 are both made out of brass.
The hybrids have different marterials.

Also the Pros are made in U.S.A ...totally.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score

Your flippant attitude aside, yes, the pros have machined base plates, while the hybrids are cast. I also believe the pros are made in America, while the hybrids are imported.

Still, the weak link of Kahler is, and always has been, the cast saddles. It is the Achilles Heel of the design, and both models have them.

joshvittek

Reaction score
Here is some information that might help clear the air:

Neither bridge is cast. Both are machined.

The difference between the Professional line and the Hybrid line is material and production methods. The Pro line uses 360 H/H brass, 1018CRS Steel, 303 stainless steel and 5060T6-7075 aircraft aluminum and is machined and hand milled in small runs of 20 30 pieces at a time. The higher grade metals affect the tone much like the woods of your guitar do.

-The Hybrid uses 360 H/H brass only.

-both bridges use the exact same set of bearings

-The Hybrid line does not offer the ability to mix your metals combinations for different tones like the Professional line. It is only available with a brass cam and brass saddle.

-The Hybrid has only a three hole cam as opposed to the professional's five holes. With three, you can only use the tremolo arm and not the additional palm lever as you can on the pro.

-Also, with only having three holes, it is not available in a left handed model. Only the Professional is available for left handers.

-The Hybrid uses some components that are made overseas that are sent to us raw, we plate the pieces and do final complete assembly here in California in combination with USA made pieces. Whereas, the professional is made exclusively in the USA.

Rob_KxK

Reaction score
To clarify, I only use the Pro model Kahlers on KxK because, as Josh stated the
hybrids have non-usa made components. If I have the choice between USA and
half or non USA I'll take the USA made. I prefer to support USA workers!

The Hybrids are great bridges and there is nothing wrong with them. I also think
it was a great idea for Kahler to introduce the hybrids as long as the Pros stay
100% here in the US.

Either one is a great bridge.
Rob

Reaction score
Here is some information that might help clear the air:

Neither bridge is cast. Both are machined.

The difference between the Professional line and the Hybrid line is material and production methods. The Pro line uses 360 H/H brass, 1018CRS Steel, 303 stainless steel and 5060T6-7075 aircraft aluminum and is machined and hand milled in small runs of 20 30 pieces at a time. The higher grade metals affect the tone much like the woods of your guitar do.

-The Hybrid uses 360 H/H brass only.

-both bridges use the exact same set of bearings

-The Hybrid line does not offer the ability to mix your metals combinations for different tones like the Professional line. It is only available with a brass cam and brass saddle.

-The Hybrid has only a three hole cam as opposed to the professional's five holes. With three, you can only use the tremolo arm and not the additional palm lever as you can on the pro.

-Also, with only having three holes, it is not available in a left handed model. Only the Professional is available for left handers.

-The Hybrid uses some components that are made overseas that are sent to us raw, we plate the pieces and do final complete assembly here in California in combination with USA made pieces. Whereas, the professional is made exclusively in the USA.
Can a full step bend be done with either of these new trems and have the guitar come back to tune.....I doubt it. I've owned 2 Kahlered guitars and neither one stayed in tune when doing any sort of bending. I love Slayer and that is why I wanted one of these trems, but they never worked for me at all. I wanted to love Kahler, I really did. I don't though....at all. Twice bitten, never, ever again.

Wammi

Reaction score
Unfortunately misinformation strikes again... I am sorry to say.

THE FACTS ARE:

The materials are EXACTLY the same between the models (just that you have more choices with a custom shop model...hence the word CUSTOM shop) The specs are EXACTLY the same on all 3 versions including the Chinese made X Trem. You cannot see or feel the difference. Anybody who claims that the Pros are better than hybrids or the materials are inferior is misinformed or simply bias from reading forums with bad info. The forums are a breeding ground for misinformation. The other day i saw a guy answer another that our trems need no routing at all. Again i had to jump in and tell the truth. (to many forums to police) There is no difference in the metals. The ONLY difference is WHERE and HOW it was made. Its like this... L.A. Machinist ($75 per hr.) or L.A. factory worker ($15 per hour) or in China for the low labor rate. Its as simple as that. I have many customers that love the hybrid series and also have had many say the quality was as expected...very high. I play hybrids on 3/4 of my guitar collection and that should say something right there about quality.
By the way. the Pros lock too, they just haven't updated the site.

Next time you all have a question...ask me please. I work for Kahler and run the parts department and customer service dept. I answer emails hourly and work weekends and holidays just for your questions... Its my job.

Wammi J. or
John Cecchini

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Yeah, I was going to say that on the Pro model I have, there IS an adjustment screw to lock the trem in position.

')