Karnivool Appreciation Thread

• Thread starter YYZ2112
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TIMEwaveXERO

Reaction score
Can someone explain it to me? I don't get it. This post isn't about the new album, as I haven't even heard it yet.

But what is the big deal about Sound Awake? Please don't misconstrue. I'm not hating on it, in any fashion. It's a good listen, but I've noticed a copious amount of people who are so consumed in it. I just don't hear why it's so mindblowing. Again, I'm not hating on it. The production is top-notch, and the album does have several creative rhythmic moments. But as a whole, it's wholly decent to me. Not their best.

However, I LOVE the Themata album. Such a huge "wall of guitars" sound in moments, creative and energetic rhythms, and crystal clear production. I think it's fantastic, and much more enjoyable to me than Sound Awake is.

There, I said it.

I'm in the same boat. Themata is much more appealing to me. I love prog..dont get me wrong. Sound Awake is great but I'll always choose Themata over Sound awake

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bhakan

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. Themata is much more appealing to me. I love prog..dont get me wrong. Sound Awake is great but I'll always choose Themata over Sound awake
Maybe I haven't given Themata the chance it deserves. I started with Sound Awake which is now one of my favorite records ever, but the couple of times I went back to Themata it just didn't stand up to Sound Awake. Once I'm burnt out on Asymmetry I'll have to go back to Themata and give it a couple really good listens.

ByDesign

:::::::::
Reaction score
I started out on Themata before SA was released and loved it. Then SA dropped and it actually took me a while to get into it but when it finally clicks it's mind-blowing. I love both albums equally but I think SA is more of an experience to listen to and is more nourishing on a musical level than Themata, which could be what wins over a lot of people.

All three albums are incredible.

Xplozive

Reaction score
Aeons is pretty much my favorite song ever
Its an awesome song, I agree! I remember seeing karnivool post it as one of the members favourite songs off the album. Its definitely a song that grows on you. I found Eidolon to be similar, that song has some killer vocals in it that are extrememly catchy. On the other hand, Nacash and A.M. War pull you in straight away, those songs are amazing.

Metalma5ness

doesn'towna7string
Reaction score
I've spent quite a while listening to the album now and it definitely is a grower. My current favorites are probably Eidolon and Sky Machine. I'm loving the way the vocals and guitar riffs mesh together and unlike some other people I quite like where the drums sit in the mix.

TasmanSam

Reaction score
Its an awesome song, I agree! I remember seeing karnivool post it as one of the members favourite songs off the album. Its definitely a song that grows on you. I found Eidolon to be similar, that song has some killer vocals in it that are extrememly catchy. On the other hand, Nacash and A.M. War pull you in straight away, those songs are amazing.

Definitely agree with you on all those points :yesway:

Xplozive

Reaction score
Definitely agree with you on all those points :yesway:
Good! Its weird though, im under the impression that theyd choose eidolon as a single over am war or nacash even though i believe those two songs jump out straight away. I find eidolon kind of harder to get into than the other two songs, even though its such a commercial sounding song. Maybe its the whisky talking!

Tranquilliser

Reaction score
I'm a huge Karnivool fan, and Sound Awake is my favourite release of theirs, but Asymmetry is pretty damn good, I'm sure it will compete with SA for my favourite 'vool album in time.

Xplozive

Reaction score
I'm a huge Karnivool fan, and Sound Awake is my favourite release of theirs, but Asymmetry is pretty damn good, I'm sure it will compete with SA for my favourite 'vool album in time.
Sound awake still tops it for me and i think Themata does aswell...for now though. Assymetry is a totally different album to both of them

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Oddly enough, listening to Asymmetry had me going back and listening to Themata again. Forgot how much I love the ever living hell out of "L1fel1ke".

But yeah, Asymmetry is awesome so far, but still need another run through or two to fully digest it.

TasmanSam

Reaction score
Did anyone pick up the deluxe copy with the live DVD? if you haven't yet I strongly recommend you do, the DVD is ....ing insanely good.

Kurkkuviipale

Another Sinking ....
Reaction score
Haha I love how at first everyone was like "omg this album is not too good really" and now that people have listened to it a little more, the feedback is more like "awesome album" and "I like this song and this song"

DeKay

Caynug
Reaction score
I only like a certain set of songs, we are is my most favorite one. I still listen to sound awake more than this since every song is great and haves this spice.

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score
I have to admit, after 2 spins I'm having a hard time bonding with the new record. Its very beautiful and moody but I'm not really finding any of the heavier parts I used to enjoy that broke everything up. But as with any Karnivool record I'm going to give it a few more listens.

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score
So I listened to it again and am I the only one not really diggin the production as well? Its wierd - on "We Are" I think everything sounds good but everything else I find myself searching for the vocals or guitars in the mix. Am I crazy?

UncurableZero

Reaction score
~15-20 listens later I love it. And it seems to be growing to be my favorite album lately.
I have to say Aeons, Sky Machine and Alpha Omega are disturbingly awesome. :ugh:
Also anybody else notice that Asymmetry is the 7th track with 6 tracks before it and 7 after it? (I love nerdy stuff like that :lol:)
On the production thing - I love that its so dynamic and not pushed to -0.01 constantly. Sometimes I feel there are layers all over the place and it's fun to figure it out. I don't mind the mix either.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
So I listened to it again and am I the only one not really diggin the production as well? Its wierd - on "We Are" I think everything sounds good but everything else I find myself searching for the vocals or guitars in the mix. Am I crazy?

nope the mix is very flat

you can have a ton of layers and subtley without making it so lo-fi sounding. Sound Awake's mix would have worked just fine on the new stuff..

still don't like more than 3 or 4 songs on the new one. ON the flip side, it made me go back and finally check out Themata for the first time ever and it turns out that album kicks ass

XeoFLCL

Reaction score
Did anyone pick up the deluxe copy with the live DVD? if you haven't yet I strongly recommend you do, the DVD is ....ing insanely good.

All I know is I preordered a 2 disc version from amazon, so I'll assume so. :lol: we'll see once they actually ship out in august!

Also, I have to agree on the Aeons point. Amazing song, but not going to spoil the listen so I might find something I enjoy even better once I get it :)

fassaction

Reaction score
I am a huge Karnivool fan of them and Sound awake is one of my all time favorite albums.

But....I hate this album. There, I said it.

I have tried to like it. I have listened to it cover to cover at least 10 times. I just cannot get into this album.

')