Karnivool Appreciation Thread

• Thread starter YYZ2112
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Coryd

Reaction score
These guys are brilliant! i really enjoyed their first album. I'm looking forward to this one!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

damigu

stay tuned
Reaction score
i don't have anything by them yet, but i've been interested to get something of theirs for a while.
they're on the "to get" list. ;)

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Also, should have said this in my previous post...

Forrester Savell returned as the producer of Sound Awake. One of Australia's finest, has produced Themata, and other band's albums such as Full Scale, Mammal, Dead Letter Circus, Butterfly Effect among many others.

More info on Forrester Savell

I'm not gonna say anymore on how awesome this album is other than "get it now dammit! :scream::scream::scream::scream::scream: ".

sol niger 333

I like stuff
Reaction score
Holy shiiiiit!!! Just got the album today and I am COMPLETELY blown away. This is a stunningly complex and beautiful piece of progressive rock. Utterly amazing. I'm so stoked on this record. What an incredible achievement. :)

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Sorry for the bump.... but my friend and I noticed something unusual about the album production of Sound Awake.

Anyone else noticed that the track 'Illumine' sounds lower than the rest of the album?

My friend noticed this first, and since he has connections with Forrester, we made a few calls and were told that 'Illumine' was not actually mixed or mastered in Sing Sing studios but in New York. Apparently some producer (name not disclosed) thought that Karnivool was just another random Aussie band trying to 'make it' and didn't take it seriously. The result is a rather odd volume drop and then lifts back up in Deadman, an apparently overlooked mixing defect.

It's weird, but the song still rocks hard.

DaveCarter

Melowiddler
Reaction score
Aha, so more people have heard of these guys! The bassist in my covers band told me about them. I searched for them and this was the first thing that came up:

Thats the first intro Ive heard in a long time that instantly made me want to hear the rest of the song!! Love it. Apparently they tune BF#BGBE, strange but it seems to work!!

8Fingers

Banned
Reaction score
are you being serious about production?
I mean those guitars sound like annoying pods!
Too digital.

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
^^The new album's not too bad, production-wise, but that first one... sheesh.

Sorry for the bump.... but my friend and I noticed something unusual about the album production of Sound Awake.

Anyone else noticed that the track 'Illumine' sounds lower than the rest of the album?

My friend noticed this first, and since he has connections with Forrester, we made a few calls and were told that 'Illumine' was not actually mixed or mastered in Sing Sing studios but in New York. Apparently some producer (name not disclosed) thought that Karnivool was just another random Aussie band trying to 'make it' and didn't take it seriously. The result is a rather odd volume drop and then lifts back up in Deadman, an apparently overlooked mixing defect.

It's weird, but the song still rocks hard.

Jesus christ, I'd hope the band got compensated for that, what a colossal fuck-up.

Not entirely related, but speaking of Aussie bands that tried to make it, remember Superheist? They broke up when Sharon Osbourne used their CD to scrape dog shit off the footpath in an episode of The Osbournes:lol: Sucks to be them.

TheSixthWheel

bangetzit
Reaction score
^:lol:...

Karnivool are great, there's no denying that. Although the production values are apprently decent with this new Karnivool album (and clearly their first album also), the band COG have a similar thing going on. The production on Cog's 'The New Normal' and their latest effort 'Sharing Space' is just excellent. I really dig both bands but I find Cog's style is just amazing, let alone for a 3 piece.

damigu

stay tuned
Reaction score
are you being serious about production?
I mean those guitars sound like annoying pods!
Too digital.

a lot of the modern high gain amps (like bogner, diezel, mako, etc) sounded like that before the PODs did.

it has nothing to do with "digital." it's just the chalky midrange character that has become part of the "modern sound."

personally, i like it a lot when done right--the way that karnivool does it, for example.

8Fingers

Banned
Reaction score
a lot of the modern high gain amps (like bogner, diezel, mako, etc) sounded like that before the PODs did.

it has nothing to do with "digital." it's just the chalky midrange character that has become part of the "modern sound."

personally, i like it a lot when done right--the way that karnivool does it, for example.

I completely disagree.Tube amps sound really different than pods.
Midrange sound is more like mesa boogie tone wich has nothing to do with a pod or any digital modeller.You can like it cause it's your taste still it sounds far away from a tube amp even if it's a tube amp.It's digital,sterille and annoying.Sounds more like a noise than a beautiful tube overdrive.

dexmix

enginerd
Reaction score
I completely disagree.Tube amps sound really different than pods.
Midrange sound is more like mesa boogie tone wich has nothing to do with a pod or any digital modeller.You can like it cause it's your taste still it sounds far away from a tube amp even if it's a tube amp.It's digital,sterille and annoying.Sounds more like a noise than a beautiful tube overdrive.

but tell us how you really feel? Personally I'm kind of sick of tube tone snobbery. I'm just one of the few that prefers the cold sterile clinical clean crisp over-saturated soullessness of solid state clipping. :shrug:

8Fingers

Banned
Reaction score
but tell us how you really feel? Personally I'm kind of sick of tube tone snobbery. I'm just one of the few that prefers the cold sterile clinical clean crisp over-saturated soullessness of solid state clipping. :shrug:

How I feel?
Well I love mesa's tone.I already recorded almost all major labels amps and TO ME mesa is the best tone ever.It's angry and full of positive harmonics.Digital modellers delivers not only positive harmonics as negative harmonics too,that's why when you play a distorted chord with digital modellers it sound like a mass.
Tube tone snobbery ???
LOL
I don't know what it is but after having my first mesa I realized how good and rich a tube tone is.I still use a pod but it has nothing to do with a tube amp no matter how line6 and other labels claim they do.
But you know tastes are personal.Some people can't hear that huge difference the same way some like simple plan lol

')