Keith Merrow- "Awaken the Stone King" album available.

• Thread starter DIOBOLIC5150
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I think I'd almost rather give it away with donations encouraged, since the people that buy it are probably the ones that would donate anyway. Plus, by taking the piracy sites out of the loop, it lets you keep better track of how many people are downloading & listening to your stuff.

I just got a cute idea from this: is there a way to generate revenue with something like ads attached to the downloads? Could you do something like have the users see some ads after they click the download button before their download starts? I know websites can tell when users are blocking ads to some extent, so if they are blocking, you could have the website tell them that they don't get access to the album unless they temporarily disable their blocking software. That way you can keep the rest of your website clean looking and still generate revenue off of the albums that you give away for free. That all seems like it could be a lot of hassle with minimal payoff, however. I don't know how much people make off of ads, so I'm not sure if it would be anywhere near what you were able to make just normally selling albums.

I don't know if that's an idea that interests you, just a thought~

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MJS

Reaction score
I just got a cute idea from this: is there a way to generate revenue with something like ads attached to the downloads? Could you do something like have the users see some ads after they click the download button before their download starts? I know websites can tell when users are blocking ads to some extent, so if they are blocking, you could have the website tell them that they don't get access to the album unless they temporarily disable their blocking software. That way you can keep the rest of your website clean looking and still generate revenue off of the albums that you give away for free. That all seems like it could be a lot of hassle with minimal payoff, however. I don't know how much people make off of ads, so I'm not sure if it would be anywhere near what you were able to make just normally selling albums.

I don't know if that's an idea that interests you, just a thought~

You can always put ads on a download page--but it's better to fool the ad-blockers if anything, rather than put up those rejection pages. Most people aren't going to disable it--and the few that do aren't going to click on or buy whatever the ad is.

You can also tie a Google Adsense account to your Youtube account and run ads on the videos like a lot of people do.

Plenty of things you can do, but the bulk of the money will probably still come from those that just want to pay/donate for the downloads or purchase physical CDs, merchandise, etc...

Then there's always touring. :D

Reaction score
I'm extremely impressed by Keith's new album.

This is not Djent, Tech, Prog, whatever. This is how Metal should be in 2011.

Reaction score
You can also tie a Google Adsense account to your Youtube account and run ads on the videos like a lot of people do.

He tried that already and it made people in some counties unable to see his videos so he decided to take off the ads. I think he mentioned how much he was making off of the ads and, if I remember correctly, it was decent money: respectably, he decided to remove the ads anyway.

DIOBOLIC5150

Reaction score
i could probably very easily find this out by looking for the info, but do you teach keith? and if so(or if not) have you thought of doing a dvd? i for one would buy it.

I do give lessons in person and over Skype. I don't have any openings at the moment to take on more. I like the DVD idea, but that would be a lot of work. We'll see what the future brings. :metal:

thrashcomics

Ibanez and Line 6 since 1999
Reaction score
I do give lessons in person and over Skype. I don't have any openings at the moment to take on more. I like the DVD idea, but that would be a lot of work. We'll see what the future brings. :metal:

seriously. i have been playing for a long time and only started taking it seriously a few months ago. i am in the market for a good dvd or two because i work full time during the day, go to school full time 4 nights aweek and have a girlfriend that lives across town. i dont have time or extra money for in person lessons as much as i wish i could take them. i would buy a dvd from you in about 2 seconds as your playing incorperates everything i want to do. its thrash/death/prog/djent/tech all rolled into one with no unneeded bullshit.

anyway, i love the cd. all of the cds.

Reaction score
I'm extremely impressed by Keith's new album.

This is not Djent, Tech, Prog, whatever. This is how Metal should be in 2011.

:agreed:

EDIT:

I gotta say, Heart of the Sea Nymph is a fantastic fucking song. I just love it to death. Then how it goes into The Piscator is flawless. And The Piscator is another brilliant song. Those two are probably my two fav songs on this album.

Those two songs alone are worth $10.

Last edited:
Reaction score
:agreed:

EDIT:

I gotta say, Heart of the Sea Nymph is a fantastic fucking song. I just love it to death. Then how it goes into The Piscator is flawless. And The Piscator is another brilliant song. Those two are probably my two fav songs on this album.

Those two songs alone are worth $10.

Agreed. Tracks 2 and 3 are awesome. I've only heard the first half of the album so far, but Heart of The Sea Nymph & The Piscator stood out to me. Seems overall much more polished than the old stuff. very cool. I hope somebody tabs out these new songs soon.

SamSam

GAS problems
Reaction score
Bought the album off iTunes yesterday. Loving it so far! :tmm: loved all your work so far. You never disappoint!

Reaction score
Bug Lobee on the forum, haha. He tabbed pretty much every song I put on the internet. :shred:

Thanks for the kind words and support guys, means a lot to me.

Do you use tabs yourself, Keith? Whenever you learn other people's songs, I mean... or do you learn by ear?

Just curious. I like tabs and use them sometimes for learning songs, but I suck at tabbing out riffs I can come up with in just a few seconds while actually playing guitar... i'm horribly slow at tabbing. haha.

DIOBOLIC5150

Reaction score
Do you use tabs yourself, Keith? Whenever you learn other people's songs, I mean... or do you learn by ear?

Just curious. I like tabs and use them sometimes for learning songs, but I suck at tabbing out riffs I can come up with in just a few seconds while actually playing guitar... i'm horribly slow at it. haha.

I don't have the patience to write or read tabs. :lol:

I rarely play other people's stuff for some reason, but when I do, I just figure it out by ear.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Oh, on itunes now, cool! I have to put a gift card in tomorrow and I'll DL it then. It's so cool and weeeeird to type "merrow" in and see you right above Eminem! The real deal now! I told my wife, "Check this out - this is this guy on that guitar forum I'm on and now he has an album on itunes!!" (And of course she's like, "Oh yeah?" in a "meh..." voice. :lol:)

Anyway, you know I love your stuff, and mucho congratulations on a great year for you and your music! :yesway:

DIOBOLIC5150

Reaction score
Oh, on itunes now, cool! I have to put a gift card in tomorrow and I'll DL it then. It's so cool and weeeeird to type "merrow" in and see you right above Eminem! The real deal now! I told my wife, "Check this out - this is this guy on that guitar forum I'm on and now he has an album on itunes!!" (And of course she's like, "Oh yeah?" in a "meh..." voice. :lol:)

Anyway, you know I love your stuff, and mucho congratulations on a great year for you and your music! :yesway:

Haha, thanks man. You know it only costs like $40 to put music on iTunes? Anyone can do it, nothing major about it. Looks rad though :lol:

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score

A DVD would be fucking great. Considering the hundreds of shredding DVDs out there, an instructional DVD focused on heavy riffing and songwriting would be awesome.

Latest posts

')