Keith Merrow- "Awaken the Stone King" album available.

• Thread starter DIOBOLIC5150
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DIOBOLIC5150

Reaction score
I'd really need to get some input on what I should/shouldn't include on a DVD like that. You guys just talking about writing and playing riffs for the most part?

lol "Learn to CHUNK, volume 1"

I've actually had a lot of people ask for this now. Maybe I should consider it? I bet I could get some of my classmates in college to help me out with it. I'm taking multimedia, so I have access to pro video gear. Could be fun.

thrashcomics

Ibanez and Line 6 since 1999
Reaction score
I'd really need to get some input on what I should/shouldn't include on a DVD like that. You guys just talking about writing and playing riffs for the most part?

I've actually had a lot of people ask for this now. Maybe I should consider it? I bet I could get some of my classmates in college to help me out with it. I'm taking multimedia, so I have access to pro video gear. Could be fun.

i just bought the "Rock House Oli Herbert Level 1" dvd this afternoon and havent had the chance to sit with a guitar yet but kinda skimmed through a few of the sections. this is the first teaching video ive ever had other than the one that came with my ibanez bass starter pack back in 1998 so i cant comment too much other than it seems pretty informative.

id say riff construction, play through of some of your songs, songwriting in general and maybe even a supplement on drum programming.

and like i said i would buy it the second it was released

Skanky

Reaction score

A straight "How to practice, build speed, etc." DVD would be SO redundant. What I would like to see would be the things that make your style unique:

1. Your TONE. A very detaied run-down of your equipment, settings, ho and why you have things routed in a certain order and their settings.
2. How your style affects your tone - how you pick, attack the strings, etc.
3. How you go about writing songs / coming up with ideas and putting them together. Tips on recording.
4. Any tips on playing parts of songs that you find difficult or others may find difficult.
5. Video of you playing through each song and maybe some comments on each song.
6. Now that I think of it, it would be cool to get your thoughts and stories for each song you have made. Why you named it a certain name, difficulties in playing, recording, etc. Funny stories that may be associated with it.

I guess it goes without saying, I'd totally buy this DVD. :lol:

Xiphos68

Reaction score
A straight "How to practice, build speed, etc." DVD would be SO redundant. What I would like to see would be the things that make your style unique:

1. Your TONE. A very detaied run-down of your equipment, settings, ho and why you have things routed in a certain order and their settings.
3. How you go about writing songs / coming up with ideas and putting them together. Tips on recording.
4. Any tips on playing parts of songs that you find difficult or others may find difficult.
6. Now that I think of it, it would be cool to get your thoughts and stories for each song you have made. Why you named it a certain name, difficulties in playing, recording, etc. Funny stories that may be associated with it.

:agreed:

Then a bonus part where you and Jeff Loomis shred it out in the song he's in.
:D

thrashcomics

Ibanez and Line 6 since 1999
Reaction score

this was worded far better than i put it.

id also like to see a part where i get thanked as the final straw in you making a dvd.

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score

Don't forget to be naked.

:lol:

On a serious note, I suggest you throw in some basic Daw workflow skills. Maybe some hand techniques you find influence the sound of the guitar.

:cheers:

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Currently finishing the purchase download on iTunes. The songs I have heard are phenomenal, so I couldn't not buy it.

trb

Reaction score
Great work Keith! I purchased the other day but I'm wondering... Have you considered releasing this on streaming sites such as Rhapsody, Mog.com or Rdio.com? I have no idea how profitable it would be, if at all, but it would be awesome to see your work included in their catalogs!

GeoMantic

Reaction score
I would absolutely buy a DVD.

I would really enjoy hearing about your creative process, and what you specifically think about when you go about writing riffs (note selection, specific techniques, etc) and putting them together (song arrangement and riff placement). Do you know that a riff is going to be a chorus/verse riff when you write it, or does it just happen?

Or something along the lines of what measures you have taken to sound so incredibly unique, but identifiable at the same time. You know it's a Keith Merrow riff, but it's always fresh and interesting.

There's a ton of shredding DVD's, but there are very few that would address this specific topic and I think that it would do well.

I remember you answering me about being a visual writer, and how you wrote Bioluminescent about underwater trenches and sea life. When you said that, I could instantly see it and hear the song matching the mental images.

I don't know how hard that is to teach or explain, but it certainly would be interesting.

Latest posts

')