Keith Merrow, Jeff Loomis and Ola Englund performing together at NAMM

• Thread starter philoking
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TIBrent

Drop Z regular
Reaction score
Looks like Loomis is struggling to keep up with Merrow & Ola in my opinion. A sign of the times...maybe?
-Brent

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

edsped

Reaction score
Loomis doesn't look like he's struggling at all, he's actually the most animated of the bunch in that video.

AhsanU

pew pew.
Reaction score
Looks like Loomis is struggling to keep up with Merrow & Ola in my opinion. A sign of the times...maybe?
-Brent

Maybe we're not looking at the same video? Loomis looks completely fine and isn't off at all in the slightest. The guy may be 41, but his hands and speed hasn't aged at all it seems. In fact, I'd say he's gotten better.

MJS

Reaction score
-Brent

Well, to be fair, they were playing kinda fast and Jeff Loomis isn't really known for his speed.

:lol:

Add me to the list of people that doesn't see any struggling going on there -- I thought they all did great. :yesway:

karjim

Set the World Afire
Reaction score
All have a serious right hand technique and they're all different. No one was struggling IMO, I thought Loomis was a giant guy but when I saw Ola, damned this guy is 6.7 or what?
Btw Loomis is the best and Keith is a real chainsaw, a 6 years old child could see it ;)

TIBrent

Drop Z regular
Reaction score
Loomis doesn't look like he's struggling at all, he's actually the most animated of the bunch in that video.
Lets just gauge off the three guitarists playing there, from what I can see...Keith has the groove factor about his playing, he is really punching his upstrokes & those super percussive dynamics are really clear. Ola looks like every last note he is playing is second nature, no struggle, no strain, no effort looks to be exerted. Where as, to me, it looks like Loomis is just passing time waiting for his shreddy stuff to kick in again.
I am not trying to harp on Loomis, or be confrontational with anyone else, this is just my opinion & observation. And as far as the three are concerned Keith really impressed the heck out of me with how well he grooved with those riffs.
-Brent

edsped

Reaction score
Lets just gauge off the three guitarists playing there, from what I can see...Keith has the groove factor about his playing, he is really punching his upstrokes & those super percussive dynamics are really clear. Ola looks like every last note he is playing is second nature, no struggle, no strain, no effort looks to be exerted. Where as, to me, it looks like Loomis is just passing time waiting for his shreddy stuff to kick in again.
I am not trying to harp on Loomis, or be confrontational with anyone else, this is just my opinion & observation. And as far as the three are concerned Keith really impressed the heck out of me with how well he grooved with those riffs.
-Brent
I don't know, they all look comfortable and "natural" to me. Keith doesn't look like he's punching his upstrokes any more than Loomis, his hand might be making more exaggerated motions but it's a known fact that Loomis picks hard as fuck.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
Now that is a vid with 4 damn beasts playing. Loomis wasn't struggling at all. He just has a different style. Loomis is a lead master, where Keith is one of the tightest rhythm players on the Earth.

MJS

Reaction score
I still don't see any struggling going on there... at all. But just for kicks, even though I think all of those guys are amazing (together and on their own), I think if you look at what they're all capable of playing and just made it one big technique contest... you might end up with 3 guitarist struggling to keep up with a bass player. ;)

Focusing on just Loomis & Merrow (I'm excited about this: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/ge...ith-merrow-jeff-loomis-album.html#post3359864), I think those guys are great together. I love Keith's groove, but he'll be the first to tell you he's no Jeff Loomis. :D And as amazing as Loomis is, Keith definitely brings something to the table that's not already there, so I can't wait to see what they pull off together.

Jeff & Keith seem to get along with each other great, which should really help. I picture there being no ego problems during the writing process and have a feeling neither has a problem recognizing the other one's strong points and being open to changes.

Not to leave Ola out: I think he's great too and sometimes it seems like his talent gets overlooked in all of the "he always sounds like Ola" comments on his demos. It's almost like people focus on the music of the other 3, but when Ola pops up, they focus on the gear... until they notice the gear sounds like Ola. :D

Latest posts

')