Keith merrow working with schecter

• Thread starter Dawn of the Shred
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Erockomania

Studio Geek
Reaction score
I'm not sure why Keith is such a big deal. Honestly. He's a decent guitarist that gets all kinds of amazing guitars. The guitar world is strange these days.

If I were to hope for something from Schecter it would be less gaudy and more classy and elegant guitars. Maybe Keith can help with this.

Prestofly

Southpaw
Reaction score
schecter makes some good stuff i love my blackjack v i got from them and i think keith is really good at writing some original sounding riffs plus he's friends with loomis and blew up on youtube just like ola and companies want people who can market them better so by having so many youtube hits and subscriptions him and ola get tons of free gear to show off in their videos

Crabface

Reaction score
schecter makes some good stuff i love my blackjack v i got from them and i think keith is really good at writing some original sounding riffs plus he's friends with loomis and blew up on youtube just like ola and companies want people who can market them better so by having so many youtube hits and subscriptions him and ola get tons of free gear to show off in their videos

This except Keith is a better guitarist than Ola, although they're forged from the same mould.
Keith also has a better taste in guitars, though...

I'm actually pretty excited by this.
Every time a see an interesting Schecter there is something horribly tasteless - somewhere, somehow - that totally ruins it. Whether it's the awful inlays, awful binding or awful devil horn headstocks.
At least they don't load all their guitars with EMGs... Ah.. Oops.

It's a shame really, because there guitars are very good for the price. Just horribly tasteless. Maybe Keith will help deal with that.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I'm not sure why Keith is such a big deal. Honestly. He's a decent guitarist that gets all kinds of amazing guitars. The guitar world is strange these days.

Well, the guitar world hasn't changed in that it, like any other industry, will use an endorser when it sees that the endorser has enough influence over others to get them to buy the product endorsed. In that sense Keith, Ola, Bulb, et. al. are all likely candidates. What is interesting now is that there is this established model of having a (relatively) well known, influential person endorse your product we're seeing companies force the issue, hoping that we, the consumer, will make assumptions about both the product and the endorser just because of the relationship. In other words, you get a new, unknown guitar company that finds a new, unknown guitarist/band to endorse them, and then they go out and make a big to-do about it. Then we are to assume that either the band or the luthier is really good, and the other one is now being brought up to the level. When, in fact, there's a decent chance neither of them is.

That's not so much the case with Keith, here, since he had a pretty established following in SSO (which is admittedly small, but if you want to break into a niche market like this, you could do worse than appeal to the members of SSO for their gear dollars). But recently we've seen all of these new companies with new bands endorsing them (I'm looking at you, Legator, Invictus, etc.).

Erockomania

Studio Geek
Reaction score
Yup, I fully understand that. It's also pretty lame. There are like 5 main guys that get ridiculous recognition and tons of very high end gear (we all know who they are)... because they are decent guitarists that made videos in their bedroom that tons of kids have watched. Bulb and Ola are a little different because they play in fairly popular bands and write good music. There are a few others that sorta piggy backed off them by associating with them. Pretty clever strategy and good for them, but I still find it strange that people will buy anything and everything they "endorse". They likely get this stuff at massive discounts or even free. They WILL be biased. Just a few short years ago folks were endorsed by ONE guitar company that sold good guitars and were dropped if they went after another company. Now the "5" seem to have a new endorsement(or another $5k guitar in their lap) every week even tho they are pimping other companies. Some of these guys (which likely don't make much money) have guitars from Mayones, ViK, Blackmachine, Daemoness, etc... 10s of thousands of dollars worth of master grade guitars! I can't blame the guitarists AT ALL... I would do exactly the same thing given the chance. I find it lame that these companies pimp themselves out like this. Many of these companies make AMAZING guitars and don't need the blessing of the "5". Like I said... strange times in the guitar world. Sorry to derail the thread. Carry on. :lol:

Well, the guitar world hasn't changed in that it, like any other industry, will use an endorser when it sees that the endorser has enough influence over others to get them to buy the product endorsed. In that sense Keith, Ola, Bulb, et. al. are all likely candidates. What is interesting now is that there is this established model of having a (relatively) well known, influential person endorse your product we're seeing companies force the issue, hoping that we, the consumer, will make assumptions about both the product and the endorser just because of the relationship. In other words, you get a new, unknown guitar company that finds a new, unknown guitarist/band to endorse them, and then they go out and make a big to-do about it. Then we are to assume that either the band or the luthier is really good, and the other one is now being brought up to the level. When, in fact, there's a decent chance neither of them is.

That's not so much the case with Keith, here, since he had a pretty established following in SSO (which is admittedly small, but if you want to break into a niche market like this, you could do worse than appeal to the members of SSO for their gear dollars). But recently we've seen all of these new companies with new bands endorsing them (I'm looking at you, Legator, Invictus, etc.).

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score

and i'm not sure why Emmure, whitechapel, the acacia strain, DEP, BVB, asking Alexandria and bring me the horizon are such big deals. However they still are and it still puzzles the hell out of me. The music industry sure is strange.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yup, I fully understand that. It's also pretty lame. There are like 5 main guys that get ridiculous recognition and tons of very high end gear (we all know who they are)... because they are decent guitarists that made videos in their bedroom that tons of kids have watched. Bulb and Ola are a little different because they play in fairly popular bands and write good music. There are a few others that sorta piggy backed off them by associating with them. Pretty clever strategy and good for them, but I still find it strange that people will buy anything and everything they "endorse". They likely get this stuff at massive discounts or even free. They WILL be biased. Just a few short years ago folks were endorsed by ONE guitar company that sold good guitars and were dropped if they went after another company. Now the "5" seem to have a new endorsement(or another $5k guitar in their lap) every week even tho they are pimping other companies. Some of these guys (which likely don't make much money) have guitars from Mayones, ViK, Blackmachine, Daemoness, etc... 10s of thousands of dollars worth of master grade guitars! I can't blame the guitarists AT ALL... I would do exactly the same thing given the chance. I find it lame that these companies pimp themselves out like this. Many of these companies make AMAZING guitars and don't need the blessing of the "5". Like I said... strange times in the guitar world. Sorry to derail the thread. Carry on. :lol:

So you don't mind the players that are pimping anything and everything they can get free but you mind the companies sending them stuff? :lol:

Erockomania

Studio Geek
Reaction score
So you don't mind the players that are pimping anything and everything they can get free but you mind the companies sending them stuff? :lol:

yes... would YOU turn away killer gear if you were getting it for free or at a huge discount? They are only human, lol

On the flip side, these companies willingly give or sell gear (likely at cost) to these guys they know will not really say a bad word about them in hopes of getting on a (odd) band wagon. I think they lose a bit of credibility that way.

This phenomenon is pretty new in the guitar world. It's really only happened over the last few years.

nikt

LACS Lover
Reaction score
and i'm not sure why Emmure, whitechapel, the acacia strain, DEP, BVB, asking Alexandria and bring me the horizon are such big deals. However they still are and it still puzzles the hell out of me. The music industry sure is strange.

Putting DEP in line with all those band is just :nuts:

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Apart from Johnny and the Borussia Dortmun I don't see either :D
As long as one of them doesn't make the amfisound waiting list explode I'm fine with it. :p

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
yes... would YOU turn away killer gear if you were getting it for free or at a huge discount? They are only human, lol

On the flip side, these companies willingly give or sell gear (likely at cost) to these guys they know will not really say a bad word about them in hopes of getting on a (odd) band wagon. I think they lose a bit of credibility that way.

This phenomenon is pretty new in the guitar world. It's really only happened over the last few years.

I'll give you a hint and leave it at that: some of the gear that has been raved about has definitely NOT been killer :lol: THAT is what I have a problem with.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
One big thing people are forgetting is that Keith is teaming up with Schecter USA and not indo/korea Schecter. My Custom Shop Schecter is still one of the best guitars I've ever played and if Keith brings his knowledge and experience to the Schecter USA production line then you can expect some awesome guitars to start rolling out.

conjurer_of_riffs

Forfeit Productions
Reaction score
My Schecter is made in Korea and it is awesome. Good for Keith and Ola they have put in there time and the guitar companies are trying to use it to their advantage. It's a win win for both parties.

GreatWhiteYeti

Reaction score
Edit - I did not mean to start a possible rant or flame or whatever. I apologize all around as my comment was misplaced and was more of my personal opinion which I should have kept to myself. I am a fan of Merrow's music myself and wasn't attempting to slander. Cheers and again I apologize!

')