Keith merrow working with schecter

• Thread starter Dawn of the Shred
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
If I ever got to do a signature instrument (i.e. after the first annual snowball fight in Hell) I would sign a long enough contract with a big enough company that they'd do an instrument that was instantly recognizable as different than anything else. Not just a slight tweak of a normal build.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Eptaceros

Wayfarer
Reaction score
but to me it does play against the stereotype of the common metal musician.

...or Keith is a human being with personal opinions that actively participates on facebook. what does that have to do with "the common metal musician"?

Zado

Reaction score
shitsøn;3618961 said:
I'm pretty sure most people who are in the market for a Schecter don't even know the guy.
"Iz he a friend of syngatesluv?<3<3<3"

Btw afaik he said he's teaming up with schecter USA,so maybe a shredding USA production model will come out,but no diamond series I fear.

And not a signature anyway

Oh,and I'd love to see some 80es guitar heroes in schecter rooster...USA strats need a proper endorser

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
yes... would YOU turn away killer gear if you were getting it for free or at a huge discount? They are only human, lol

I've got quite a lot of endorsements. I've had offers from companies I've said no to. Your average musician wouldn't endorse anything they didn't want associated with their name/livelihood. It's a two way street.

On the flip side, these companies willingly give or sell gear (likely at cost) to these guys they know will not really say a bad word about them in hopes of getting on a (odd) band wagon. I think they lose a bit of credibility that way.

It's basic marketing. The company needs to know that the level of exposure and return on investment on said exposure is less than the profits they lose from providing gear at cost prices. Guitarists with large profiles/online followings/hundreds of thousands of followers provide cheap/free/easy marketing exposure, for the sake of losing say $500 profit on a handful of guitars. In todays digital age, it's a no brainer for companies to provide cost pricing to these guys. A targeted EDM campaign to each of their subscribers would actually cost more.

This phenomenon is pretty new in the guitar world. It's really only happened over the last few years.

No it's not. Where were you during the endorsement craze of the 80's? Charvel/Fender/Jackson/Kramer/Ibanez threw guitars at pretty much every hair metal band there was.

Endorsements are simply a marketing tool. Certain artists provide a a large marketing tool to a specific key demographic for these products/companies. And most artists with endorsements, or 'careers' wouldn't put their name to a product that they don't think is good.

I think peoples micro view of a very small metal sub genre warped general perspectives on product marketing on a large, large corporate level.

Zado

Reaction score
Something from the source,Merrow itself

Thanks for the kind words and support, friends. To those that want to hate on Schecter or say I'm a "sellout" and making it about money: If I didn't like the guitars, and the proposed idea, I wouldn't be doing it. Bottom line. It also helps that they're great people. A close friend of mine has been on the artist roster for many years, and speaks very highly of them. Schecter would like to put me out there, through clinics and other means. That means connecting me with my friends and fans. That's important to me. To be totally honest, I've passed up offers from a couple high end boutique builders recently, because they DID want to make it about money. For me, it's about having a good partnership with the right people, not how much money I make, or can make the company. It's about cool people, doing cool things, with cool guitars. Spreading music and the craft that I enjoy. Pretty simple, really. If you don't agree with the choices I make in my career, and don't wish to be supportive during this exciting time in my life, at least refrain from trying to ruin it for me. I hope that's not too much to ask of you.

Very pristine

Erockomania

Studio Geek
Reaction score
I've got quite a lot of endorsements. I've had offers from companies I've said no to. Your average musician wouldn't endorse anything they didn't want associated with their name/livelihood. It's a two way street.

It's basic marketing. The company needs to know that the level of exposure and return on investment on said exposure is less than the profits they lose from providing gear at cost prices. Guitarists with large profiles/online followings/hundreds of thousands of followers provide cheap/free/easy marketing exposure, for the sake of losing say $500 profit on a handful of guitars. In todays digital age, it's a no brainer for companies to provide cost pricing to these guys. A targeted EDM campaign to each of their subscribers would actually cost more.

No it's not. Where were you during the endorsement craze of the 80's? Charvel/Fender/Jackson/Kramer/Ibanez threw guitars at pretty much every hair metal band there was.

Endorsements are simply a marketing tool. Certain artists provide a a large marketing tool to a specific key demographic for these products/companies. And most artists with endorsements, or 'careers' wouldn't put their name to a product that they don't think is good.

I think peoples micro view of a very small metal sub genre warped general perspectives on product marketing on a large, large corporate level.

I think we all fully realize it's a business, but it's changing... now any dude in his bedroom that can write something cool, gain a following and make it sound halfway decent has a shot at getting endorsed. THAT is the difference. You don't have to tour the world anymore... you need a youtube account and some writing skill. I actually like this as I hated touring myself, haha. The guys in the 80s (like me, lol) were not nearly so spoiled. We did not get $5k guitars thrown at us. We got $800 guitars and some shirts... and we had to know how to shred it up like the best of them. Oh and you had ONE deal with ONE guitar manufacturer who frowned upon you showing up with anything other than their guitars, ONE amp endorsement, etc... Oddly, some of these guys have what you would consider competing endorsements. BUT, like I said... I'm not bagging on these guys! I'd do the some thing if given the chance. I just find the whole thing a little strange is all.

Relatively unknown guitarist gets tons of likes because a video went viral = $5k guitars thrown at them from all sides. lol. Of course, I'm over-simplifying it, but you get the point. The internet sensation guys get WAY better deals than the touring musician. I guess it's good for the guitar companies because they don't need to endorse nearly as many people :yesway:

flint757

Reaction score
I'm excited to see the guitars but Keith disappointed me. His Facebook rants about religion were off putting in my opinion. I understand how it will make money for the company but to me it does play against the stereotype of the common metal musician. That's just from my point of view though.

Are you talking about his rant about people posting memes with violence/gore asking for prayers through likes and other BS? Because I totally agreed with him. It is tasteless and done for all the wrong reasons. He is a human being either way and is going to have personal opinions that are completely aside from guitar or music

If you don't agree with the choices I make in my career, and don't wish to be supportive during this exciting time in my life, at least refrain from trying to ruin it for me. I hope that's not too much to ask of you.

This is quite on point.

Samark

Inactive. It’s been a pleasure.
Reaction score
Gotta start my own channel and get me some cost price guitars :D

Only a serious note, good luck to both parties. The more 7's the better :D

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
I think we all fully realize it's a business, but it's changing... now any dude in his bedroom that can write something cool, gain a following and make it sound halfway decent has a shot at getting endorsed. THAT is the difference. You don't have to tour the world anymore... you need a youtube account and some writing skill. I actually like this as I hated touring myself, haha. The guys in the 80s (like me, lol) were not nearly so spoiled. We did not get $5k guitars thrown at us. We got $800 guitars and some shirts... and we had to know how to shred it up like the best of them. Oh and you had ONE deal with ONE guitar manufacturer who frowned upon you showing up with anything other than their guitars, ONE amp endorsement, etc... Oddly, some of these guys have what you would consider competing endorsements. BUT, like I said... I'm not bagging on these guys! I'd do the some thing if given the chance. I just find the whole thing a little strange is all.

Relatively unknown guitarist gets tons of likes because a video went viral = $5k guitars thrown at them from all sides. lol. Of course, I'm over-simplifying it, but you get the point. The internet sensation guys get WAY better deals than the touring musician. I guess it's good for the guitar companies because they don't need to endorse nearly as many people :yesway:

Totally understand and agree :) I've spent the last 12 years slogging it out and touring NZ and losing so much money in the process haha. I only recently got back into home recording, last time I did it was using fruity loops one and the very first bean pod!

I really appreciate the support I get from companies now as for 99% of touring bands, you run at a loss and it's a huge financial burden. My contacts help me stay current and at a much easier cost to manage.

Also, I'm not a big Schecter guy myself BUT I was lucky enough to tour their custom shop recently, our other guitarist is a schecter arist. Keith is in VERY good hands, their custom shop guys are amazing. I put up pics of their custom shop a few months ago, check them here http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/ge...-rich-schecer-fender-ar-office-pic-heavy.html

DIOBOLIC5150

Reaction score
Hey guys, just wanted to say thanks for the kind words, input, and even the somewhat intense scrutiny of my career. I feel very fortunate, yet proud of what I've accomplished.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
No hints.

I'm sad. :(

Congrats, though. I find it funny how everyone was saying you would team up with Mayones, but ended up with Schecter of all companies. :D

Boot-Paul

Reaction score
Hey guys, just wanted to say thanks for the kind words, input, and even the somewhat intense scrutiny of my career. I feel very fortunate, yet proud of what I've accomplished.

And so you should don't worry about negative comments to me that's the biggest form of flattery. Keep rocking:metal:

purpledc

Proud blacksheep
Reaction score
Well I dont really know how to feel about this. Right at a point when schecter signing with BVB had me contemplating the most humane way to dispose of my hellraiser they start working with a real musician. Damn last minute stay of executions.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Your average musician wouldn't endorse anything they didn't want associated with their name/livelihood. .

I totally disagree, here. I'd say that the average person (not just musician) is likely going to take whatever they can get for free. People who have ethics, care about what they represent, care about the influence they have over others, etc., are not the average. I think you are not the average "sellout," nor is Keith, or a lot of others on here. But there have been numerous guitarists who have endorsed companies before said companies even had a reputation or instruments out in the real world. i.e. no chance to decide if they wanted to be associated with the company - just going for the chance to get something for a little or nothing.

On the whole, I would LOVE to think we are, as a group, less of a sellout than the average person or musician. The argument could be made in the sense that who in their right mind would play metal, knowing full well they could play pop or country and have a much larger chance of success. And don't even get me started about people like Oprah, who used her iPad to tweet how much she loved her MS Surface tablet. Or the Kardashians, who will endorse anything they can make a buck off of, to the point that company's are shying away from them because of their obvious lack of integrity.

Anyway, I make this point just to deep my dystopian, cynical view of the world intact. :lol: :squint:

Matt_D_

Reaction score

please. make it your mission to lock whoever loves those trashy inlays and masses of abalone into a storage cupboard for the rest of time, because aside from terribly gaudy aesthetics (which it seems they're moving away from slowly) they make some really great guitars for the money.

:D

I'm Looking forward to seeing what eventuates, hope it works out swimmingly for you :)

(oh, and "sellout". seriously. haven't we moved on from that yet?)

Heroin

I am wombat
Reaction score
A 7 string schecter with a hipshot/hipshot style bridge would be really cool, especially if it's on a banshee. one can dream. :agreed:

')