Keith merrow working with schecter

• Thread starter Dawn of the Shred
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Erockomania

Studio Geek
Reaction score
I'm not yelling at anyone, it wasn't targeted at anyone specifically. But quite a few people were just being cynical for the hell of it and assuming what Keith's venture with Schecter will entail when, you guessed it. NO ONE KNOWS.

And here's a few comments I could direct myself at, but hey pointing fingers is apparently fair game since you asked.

^ This specifically, everything I bolded carries with them a LARGE number of assumptions and situations that most likely not more than a handful of people know about for each guitarist. Kinda just sounds like he's shitting on their parade for being good at something and being represented by organizations for it. :lol:

1. If it were really that easy, I wouldn't mind being endorsed by some of my favorite companies. But let's be honest here, it's actually not that easy to write something cool, build a fanbase from it, and take it further than others would.
2. Yes, you do in fact need to tour. Because as any major artist will tell you, they're either losing, or breaking even man. I don't think you understand that man, most of the dudes you mentioned and "insinuated" have day jobs and work/save to maintain their lifestyles. A lifestyle which is arguably at or slightly above the line of poverty for most musicians based on their musical wages alone.
3. And lastly, inflation. Most Gibsons used to cost 259 with a hardshell case in 1959 according to a price list. That is all :lol:

It's late man, I should be getting some sleep. But my point is that it's not worth shitting on Keith's success expecting him to sell out from doing this. And let's be honest here, to my knowledge Keith's working with SD, Mayones, Schecter, Chapman Guitars. He's got a lot on his plate as is, and that's all a musician could ever ask for. An idle musician is a broke musician.

Toodles! :wavey:

Those are all from me and I stand by them. If it sounded like I was specifically targeting Keith, I didn't mean to. I was more referring to the WAY people get endorsed these days as opposed to old and the compensation(guitar wise) in relation. The are boutique companies selling $5k guitars and many of these guys have several of them whilst "barely paying the bills and having a day job". I think I can assume correctly that they get them free or at large discount in return for some facetime on youtube and at clinics. I like the business model, as I said.. I'd prefer it if I was an up and coming guitarist. Things have changed, that is all.

Are all these guys (Ola, Bulb, Keith, Fred, [insert wild card player here]) good at what they do... hell yes. The best at "new media" endorsements and promotion. They found a niche and ran with it. Good for them. Did I hear any of their names before joining SS.org... only Bulb... the first of the breed :) It's sorta why I have a hard time thinking these types of endorsements and players are a big deal... I JUST heard their names a few months ago!

--fwiw, I think Fred is definitely the shredder amongst them. Dude is definitely a badass player.

I hope more guys make it. I suspect new guys will figure out the formula and hit the virtual scene as well. I personally love watching the videos and seeing the cool pictures taken with nice cameras (they all have those too, haha). The guitar world is interesting and fun these days. Just.. a little ... odd to me still :nuts::hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
^ The only thing I would say really isn't 100% true about that is that you CAN get endorsed without touring or being in a band. Keith started as just a bedroom player with no band and no touring. That's how he got his big fan base. And there are loads of guys on here who have been endorsed with very regional touring at best. Heck, even I have been approached by a company about endorsing them. It wasn't a luthier, but it was an equipment company. And they've never heard me play. :lol: But I think they probably looked at my post count, and figured I would post enough about them to gain some traction. In fact, I think you could probably get some sort of endorsement from a company. Not likely that you'll score a Vik or something, but I bet you could get free strings, picks, cables, or more.

Anyway, not to take this totally OT (though I think these discussions are cool, so I personally like that we're talking about it). And lest what I say be interpreted by anyone as thinking less of Keith, that's definitely not the case. I'm a huge Merrow fan, ever since he first released Andromeda. And I credit Bulb and him for reinvigorating my interest in metal. I'm super happy that a guy who has really good writing skills can get to this level without selling out to play the type of music a large label would deem profitable. I think it's good for him, but more importantly it's good for all of us.

Reaction score
55569d1365197413-pt709-ejector-misaligned-anchorman_well_that_escalated_quickly_966.jpg

Everyone, I know I am asking the impossible, but please stop bitching so that I can read through and adequately enjoy this thread and the conversation

/thankyou

HanSulu

Djentleman_007
Reaction score
Bickering aside, I can't wait to see what Keith and Schecter have in store. I Personally prefer Ibanez's to schecter but I did play Schecter for a few years before switching to Agile and Ibanez and mainly wanted to switch because the fatter neck kinda started to rub me wrong after awhile, although I have been curious about the SLS guitars, they seem to target the very thing I started to dislike, and seeing that Keith has been playing the SLS I have a good feeling that good things will come out of this.

Zado

Reaction score
Schecter is damn cruel,this is gonna make me suffer,I know.Can't even consider buying a new instrument with this ongoing secret project.

LEMME KNOW SOMETHING:scream:

Heck, even I have been approached by a company about endorsing them. It wasn't a luthier, but it was an equipment company. And they've never heard me play. :lol: But I think they probably looked at my post count, and figured I would post enough about them to gain some traction. In fact, I think you could probably get some sort of endorsement from a company.
starting tomorrow I'll write a couple of hundreds message per day
Not likely that you'll score a Vik or something, but I bet you could get free strings, picks, cables, or more.

fine enought:hbang:

necronile

Reaction score
This except Keith is a better guitarist than Ola, although they're forged from the same mould.
Keith also has a better taste in guitars, though...

I'm actually pretty excited by this.
Every time a see an interesting Schecter there is something horribly tasteless - somewhere, somehow - that totally ruins it. Whether it's the awful inlays, awful binding or awful devil horn headstocks.
At least they don't load all their guitars with EMGs... Ah.. Oops.

It's a shame really, because there guitars are very good for the price. Just horribly tasteless. Maybe Keith will help deal with that.

I dont get whats wrong with EMGs.
I guess it became a trend to hate on EMGs....

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I dont get whats wrong with EMGs.
I guess it became a trend to hate on EMGs....

On top of that...
See-Thru-Black%282%29.jpg

$(KGrHqJHJCIFGrF3TuUCBR)N21TdKQ~~60_57.JPG

So gaudy and tasteless. :rolleyes:

A company tries to make things fit towards a certain demographic (the SLS is obviously towards SSO's, especially with the updated inlays, and they're possibly making a 7 and 8-string Banshee) and people will still complain.

EDIT: Jesus christ, I need to stop white knighting for Schecter. :rofl:

indreku

Reaction score
I have high expectations for this instrument.
I hope that one day schecter will lose the inlays on SLS and blackjack series all together, and minimize the inlay on hellraiser series.
As well Hellraiser/Banshee SLS

Zado

Reaction score
have you seen some of the japanese schecter range? holy damn! :D
a friend of mine got an SD model a couple of years ago: a damn fine instrument.

I have high expectations for this instrument.
I hope that one day schecter will lose the inlays on SLS and blackjack series all together, and minimize the inlay on hellraiser series.
As well Hellraiser/Banshee SLS
I hope they will remember someday how good instruments looks with finishes different from red-black-white. 2009 was a great year in that sense...green hellraiser,blue hellraiser proto,purple hellraiser proto,the whole classic series...

recently I made this
gogogo.jpg

i bet more than someone wouldlove to see an hellraiser model with this blue finish...with single ply white plastic binding and offset inlays it'd be a great looking guitar

User Name

Banned
Reaction score
^^ i would buy the shit out of that.

and i too wish to see schecter minimize inlays, especially the Gothic crosses or whatever the fuk they are.

although you cant really blame schecter, at the time they were trying to really appeal to that sort of crowd. the "A7X" crowd with all their bats, crosses, and studded leather bracelets. now it seems schecter is stepping up their game and trying to appeal more to the other side essentially. the other metalheads that prefer sleek looking sexy instruments. not the gaudy ones that have been producing.

although i guess im not one to talk, my hellraiser c-7 is as gaudy as they come.

007-5.jpg

Zado

Reaction score
Same for mine,the green finish is not helping at all with the abalone :lol:

Oh btw,asking alexandria bassist is getting a signature :ugh:

XeoFLCL

Reaction score
I personally think jeff loomis might have had a hand in this all :D

.. Obviously, lol. I'm interested though, like others have said, hopefully this opens schecters eyes a bit to what players want now.

Matt_D_

Reaction score
Look, If you're still reading this Mr Merrow.
How about a H/H 7 string version of this? I'll even buy you a beer, or 10, if you ever make it this way. Good deal right?

nvdx24as_blsb.jpg

Just think man, beer. I'd also settle for the PT range.

ptctm_ilb.jpg

Good deal right? No? Can you convince schecter JP to let these into the western market maybe instead?

')