Kemper Profiling Amp Thread

SenorDingDong

Smeller of Smells
Reaction score
How is your output setup? What are you monitoring the sound with?

I send everything through a mixing console, so I have immediate indication of the signal coming from the Kemper. It is a line level device, which can be way too much signal for certain equipment. I set all my outputs to “off” except the specific outputs I’m using (Main Out and Monitor Out). So I run Master Mono for the Main Outs; and de-link everything from the Master Volume except for the Monitor Out. This way the FOH (and my IEM) signal can’t fluctuate if I want to increase stage volume to my cab. I think I have to set the Main Outs at -25db or so to avoid clipping our mixer, and all the sound engineers we work with seem to like that level as well. If you have the “-12db” soft button engaged, then you’d further set the Main Out to -13dB to get to -25dB total.

It’s easy to get confused when there are multiple Outputs linked to the Volume. I really simplified the process by only turning on what I’ll be using, and being able to monitor the signal I’m sending. Once the Output levels are clean (ie not clipping) then the Master Volume is just for my guitar cab, and the Volume is only for matching levels between rigs.

I go guitar, direct into Kemper, and Kemper either into Friedman ASC 12 or my Yamaha HS8 monitors. I will run through my outputs today and let you know the result--I am going to try shutting all other output options off.

SenorDingDong

Smeller of Smells
Reaction score
How is your output setup? What are you monitoring the sound with?

I send everything through a mixing console, so I have immediate indication of the signal coming from the Kemper. It is a line level device, which can be way too much signal for certain equipment. I set all my outputs to “off” except the specific outputs I’m using (Main Out and Monitor Out). So I run Master Mono for the Main Outs; and de-link everything from the Master Volume except for the Monitor Out. This way the FOH (and my IEM) signal can’t fluctuate if I want to increase stage volume to my cab. I think I have to set the Main Outs at -25db or so to avoid clipping our mixer, and all the sound engineers we work with seem to like that level as well. If you have the “-12db” soft button engaged, then you’d further set the Main Out to -13dB to get to -25dB total.

It’s easy to get confused when there are multiple Outputs linked to the Volume. I really simplified the process by only turning on what I’ll be using, and being able to monitor the signal I’m sending. Once the Output levels are clean (ie not clipping) then the Master Volume is just for my guitar cab, and the Volume is only for matching levels between rigs.

Shutting off all output sources except the one in use still makes no difference, haha. I've run at -40db and still had clipping, so it might be just my current guitar, I guess. My pickup height is actually pretty low but maybe it really is all my pickups doing this.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
Shutting off all output sources except the one in use still makes no difference, haha. I've run at -40db and still had clipping, so it might be just my current guitar, I guess. My pickup height is actually pretty low but maybe it really is all my pickups doing this.
I found that the line output of the Kemper is +22dB, which makes sense why my settings seem to work at -25, as it ends up being -3dB line output. so if you’re clipping at -40 still (-18dB line out) something is definitely wrong. You might need to do a soft reset on the Kemper or even re install the current firmware. Something might have been accidentally locked or changed inadvertently.

I payed attention over the last 6 shows or so: and at all different venues with different stage volumes; my Output LED stayed green with an occasional flutter into yellow during palm muting sections. My bridge pickup is around 16k and is installed medium-low into the body.

Zender

Tinkering, please hold.
Reaction score
TL:DR Is there that much of a difference between the built in poweramp, and a separate 1u rack power amp to justify a separate power amp?

On the fence about getting a Kemper, or rather.... powered or unpowered. I have a very nice cab that I sometimes use, (212 Zilla) but I also enjoy just plugging in a headset and playing along that way. Still using an old PODx3 for that which suits most of my needs.

Next to the current amp setup (see my sig) I use a boatload of pedals I will keep using. The kemper will just replace my tubes, and save my back. But I still want to be able to use my cab from time to time. So a power amp is needed.

Basically, get a cheaper non-powered rack and get a nice 1u rack power amp (Koch atr most likely.. it has tubes...), or just go for the powered one because the sound difference is negligible?

DudeManBrother

Reaction score
@Zender The sound difference between their built in class D 600w amp and any other class D amp with suitable headroom would be negligible. I think tube power amps are an improvement to the tone, but it’s more noticeable in how the speakers push air with tube power than anything else. Tubes do color the tone, but so do speaker, and I like the color they add.

The weight savings should be factored in though, I love how my Kemper sounds thru my Mesa 2:90; but I don’t want to lug that thing around all the time. The Matrix GT1000FX and ISP Stealth still hold up as my favorite alternative power amps for the Kemper. They sound really good and are light. I think you’ll probably be happy either way.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
I like the idea of having a separate one that way if you need to get the power amp serviced you don't have to send in the entire Kemper unit. I believe you have to send the whole thing in if your power amp malfunctioned.

lewis

Reaction score
Im still contemplating either getting a 2nd kemper or waiting to see IF we get some sort of Kemper 2.0 and saving for that instead.

Soya

Poor person
Reaction score
Has there been that many problems with the Kemper amp to warrant that concern though?

DudeManBrother

Reaction score
Has there been that many problems with the Kemper amp to warrant that concern though?
Nah man they have been incredibly reliable. I left mine in the van a couple summers ago and it exceeded the heat maximum which screwed up the main switch, but they covered it under warranty and I had it back in a couple days.

Soya

Poor person
Reaction score
Good to know, starting to flirt with the Kemper idea again. Just can't seem to stay away.

MetalHex

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
But does the kemper "sound like a kemper"? I know there are experienced users with a great ear who can point out a kempered tone in a blinfold test for reaaon that i dont know...

Soya

Poor person
Reaction score
I think the power section is more identifiable than the actual Kemper modeling. A fair amount of people can tell the difference in immediacy and sag between a solid state and tube power amp.

Soya

Poor person
Reaction score
A question for you folks. I wired up a simple 4 button footswitch to change rigs, Looper controls etc. I got it set up and working correctly, however I noticed there is a large volume drop, much quieter than when the pedal isn't connected. Is there a setting somewhere that controls this?

ascl

Reaction score
Everytime I log in to SSO and see no posts in the kemper section, I get a little sad, and wonder if the kemper is losing popularity or something. Then I realise that I barely bother keeping up to date on new kemper updates on the kemper forums (although I AM keen for a software based editor). And this is because.... my kemper "just works", sounds awesome, and has completely killed Amp GAS for me.

It almost feels like I should be GASing for something, but really don't. I haven't even downloaded new profiles remotely recently.

Anyone else feel this way?

lewis

Reaction score
anyone tried the live ready sound 515 studio profiles?

I noticed they have a pack up now of the new Meshuggah amp? Was tempted to try them out and the youtube vids sound pretty great