Kemper Profiling Amp Thread

Quitty

Hates 'mojo'
Reaction score
I don't know why but somehow those 2 profiles you used don't sound anywhere close to something you could consider "good" when I use them ... have you tweaked them a lot or is it just me or my guitar that makes it sound weird or not-good?

aah and another question, also to you other guys:

When it comes to Recording 6-string-based music (I happen to be the only guitarist in my band playing 7 string, so I only use the 7th string in specific parts of some songs)
I have a recording-sound that I'm satisfied with... but when I try to record some 7-String "djent" stuff, these amps don't sound good anymore...

do you guys use different amp-profiles depending on whether you want to record 6, 7, or 8 String?

Can you post a clip? It's hard to tell this way.
A big part of the sound is in the mix - fizzy high end blends with the cymbals, low end is covered by a bass guitar etc.

I can do anything with the Kemper. Probably, so can you.
Some particular amps (Marshalls, some rectifiers) don't deal well with a 7th string in particular and this is very well reflected in the Kemper, but if a 6-string works well for you, your 7th string should be adjusted to blend well with that.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Der JD

Reaction score
I don't know why but somehow those 2 profiles you used don't sound anywhere close to something you could consider "good" when I use them ... have you tweaked them a lot or is it just me or my guitar that makes it sound weird or not-good?

aah and another question, also to you other guys:

When it comes to Recording 6-string-based music (I happen to be the only guitarist in my band playing 7 string, so I only use the 7th string in specific parts of some songs)
I have a recording-sound that I'm satisfied with... but when I try to record some 7-String "djent" stuff, these amps don't sound good anymore...

do you guys use different amp-profiles depending on whether you want to record 6, 7, or 8 String?

Could it just be the difference between the way the profiles sound when playing them solo vs. the way they sound in a full mix? Generally, I've found that you need that extra high end (fizz) and you have to be careful with lows and low mids when recording, which often sounds strange when played solo and out of a mix (depending on what you're used to).

Regarding different profiles for 6-string vs. 7 or 8...I don't usually use different profiles but I do sometimes need to make some tweaks. For my tastes, I find that for 7-string I need to bump up the amp definition a bit and cut some lows and possibly even low mids out in the stomp section (before it hits the stack). This can be done by using a boost pedal (such as a TS- Kemper's "Green Scream") or with a studio EQ/graphic EQ. Also, if you're going for more of a djent tone don't forget the gate.

Moo

Reaction score
Could it just be the difference between the way the profiles sound when playing them solo vs. the way they sound in a full mix? Generally, I've found that you need that extra high end (fizz) and you have to be careful with lows and low mids when recording, which often sounds strange when played solo and out of a mix (depending on what you're used to).

Regarding different profiles for 6-string vs. 7 or 8...I don't usually use different profiles but I do sometimes need to make some tweaks. For my tastes, I find that for 7-string I need to bump up the amp definition a bit and cut some lows and possibly even low mids out in the stomp section (before it hits the stack). This can be done by using a boost pedal (such as a TS- Kemper's "Green Scream") or with a studio EQ/graphic EQ. Also, if you're going for more of a djent tone don't forget the gate.

Hm well first of all: thank you :)

I'll try that out when I have time for it and then I might post my results... :)
But I don't think that it's just the difference between profiles played solo and profiles played in a mix ... I usually record with 2 profiles that I don't like very much when i play them on my own, but sound awesome in the mix :)

Neko

Reaction score
Hm well first of all: thank you :)

I'll try that out when I have time for it and then I might post my results... :)
But I don't think that it's just the difference between profiles played solo and profiles played in a mix ... I usually record with 2 profiles that I don't like very much when i play them on my own, but sound awesome in the mix :)

Yep, guys, its not specific to Kemper. Mix sound is combined from different instruments and they influence each other in the mix. It is very important to tweak guitar sound listening it in the mix if you're recording. And tweak sound with the band when you are going to play live.
Usually the sound you like playing alone is not good either live or on record.

mdeeRocks

Reaction score
Sorry if posted already. Michael Wagener is going to release his rig pack for Kemper soon.

Rawkmann

Reaction score
Damn, guess I have to get a Kemper now. Wagener is a godlike producer.

col

blah.
Reaction score
Yep, guys, its not specific to Kemper. Mix sound is combined from different instruments and they influence each other in the mix. It is very important to tweak guitar sound listening it in the mix if you're recording.

Definitely this.

Compare:

All of that harshness in the high end disappears in the full mix.

TeeWX

All The Br00tz
Reaction score
Is anyone here using the Kemper as a bass head? Interested in knowing how well it performs.

Neko

Reaction score
Is anyone here using the Kemper as a bass head? Interested in knowing how well it performs.

They've added new feature specially for Bass in latest firmware.
It enables parallel signal chain to mix driven sound with clean, like Sheehan does, for example.

Andless

Reaction score
Can you guys recommend some metal Bass Profiles?

Not so much a recommendation, but I just recorded a bass track section using an Ampeg SVT profile. Ampeg profiles might be worth a try at least.

Disclaimer: Bass is not my main instrument + I've just casually browsed through various bass profiles earlier.

Apr13st

Reaction score
The problem I've been having lately is that once I decide upon a standard rhythm profile, I find the next day my ears might be more tired etc... then with two twists of the knob I've got another profile that sounds better on that day. Problem being as I record different songs the rhythm parts sound different per song.

Anyone else run into that? Any tips? I guess just pick a profile and stick with it... love the Kemper, but sometimes too much choice eh...

flyingV

probably drunk
Reaction score
The problem I've been having lately is that once I decide upon a standard rhythm profile, I find the next day my ears might be more tired etc... then with two twists of the knob I've got another profile that sounds better on that day. Problem being as I record different songs the rhythm parts sound different per song.

Anyone else run into that? Any tips? I guess just pick a profile and stick with it... love the Kemper, but sometimes too much choice eh...
I always record a second track with just the dry guitar di. This gives me the ability to reamp different profiles whenever I want.

Quitty

Hates 'mojo'
Reaction score

1. Record the same track several times with different profiles. Reamping is a good choice, but not necessary.
Put them all on your MP3 player and listen to them tomorrow - see which ones you like.

2. Reference. If you know you liked something, compare each new profile to it. You'll still change preferences, but it's good to have a steady reference.

3. Keep playing around. When you're pushed, you'll know which profile you want to pick up.
For example, when i'm at a loss and nothing sounds right (live with new PA, particularly demanding session work etc.) i keep panicking back to using TAF's 1987x - so at the very least i know what my reference is.

Hope this helps!

Latest posts

')