Kemper Profiling Amp Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
Just got a great deal on a Mesa Stiletto Ace 1x12 Combo! I ran the Kemper through it and checked out some Merged Profiles and the results were quite promising. Any of you guys kind enough to provide some info on where I can find profiles meant to be played through a power amp and actual guitar cab. I only saw about 3 pages of 'merged profiles' on the rig exchange which netted me like 20 profiles. Am I missing something or is there just not that many?
look into commercial profiles from guys like sinmix, pete turley, reampzone, deadlight studios, etc . A lot of them do merged profiles iirc.

lewis

Reaction score
I honestly thing the difference in price between non powered and powered, means I would always go non powered then buy a separate poweramp for less than the difference.

For example, Thomann sell a 1U 400 watt stereo poweramp for £156.
A Non powered rack Kemper = £1399

Non Powered Kemper + Harley Benton GPA400 = £1555

powered Kemper with built in poweramp = £1799

so.....

mlancaster1

Reaction score
I don't know if this has been asked but does anyone know if the STL bundle packs are mostly studio or merged profiles? I got the Will Putney pack and there are a few I like a lot and have tweak as far as the EQ, but I am curious as to how it would sound through a power amp and cab. I still have yet to turn my kemper into a gigging rig because I still use my 6505+ and pedal rig to do shows. I am waiting till a get a controller and new power amp to gig with. I do plan on going direct to FOH but I still want to monitor with a cab. Sorry if this doesn't make sense, but I have no way to try it for myself.

Laimon

Reaction score
...studio or merged profiles? ...I am curious as to how it would sound through a power amp and cab.

Provided that I never tried to make an A/B comparison between merged and studio profiles (also cause it's really hard - you'd have to have merged and studio profiles for the very same setup, for the comparison to make sense...), I use my (powered) KPA with a guitar cabinet, most often with studio profiles with cab sims off, and it sounds great ;-) in that sense I wouldn't worry too much.
On the other hand, I take it you're auditioning profiles through a PA or the like. First of all, when you use a real cab you get the amp-in-the-room feel (which is only a plus to me - but it might depend by what you are expecting), and additionally if it's not the same cab used on the rig chances are that it will change your tone A LOT - I find that cabinets have a tremendous impact on the tone. Not to mention that the rig you're auditioning now also went through a mic, which again changes things up.
TL;DR: don't worry, it will sound different, but most likely better because amp-in-the-room

lewis

Reaction score
how come when running my Kemper into a real cabinet, with the cab slot disabled obviously, it still only sounds great with the "true cab" or whatever its called, feature ON and around 3?

If I also turn off the true cab feature, it sounds so fizzy/static'y through my real cab? (a 4x12 V30 + K100 x pattern)

takotakumi

Reaction score
how come when running my Kemper into a real cabinet, with the cab slot disabled obviously, it still only sounds great with the "true cab" or whatever its called, feature ON and around 3?

If I also turn off the true cab feature, it sounds so fizzy/static'y through my real cab? (a 4x12 V30 + K100 x pattern)
From my experience, it depends entirely on the profile+Cab combo.

I have had some profiles that sounded better on my monitors and others that sounded better on my orange cab.
And its like you say, when its bad they sound fizzy and anemic.

I tend to prefer them on my cab with the cab emulation disabled but have had ones I felt sounded punchier and meaner with the cab emulation.

lewis

Reaction score
also,
Green Scream, Treble Boost or the Mouse (RAT)
what wins for snarly modern metal?.
Thinking either of the latter?. Not that sold on the green scream personally.

anyone had awesome Mouse boost results for twang/chime

mlancaster1

Reaction score
Provided that I never tried to make an A/B comparison between merged and studio profiles (also cause it's really hard - you'd have to have merged and studio profiles for the very same setup, for the comparison to make sense...), I use my (powered) KPA with a guitar cabinet, most often with studio profiles with cab sims off, and it sounds great ;-) in that sense I wouldn't worry too much.
On the other hand, I take it you're auditioning profiles through a PA or the like. First of all, when you use a real cab you get the amp-in-the-room feel (which is only a plus to me - but it might depend by what you are expecting), and additionally if it's not the same cab used on the rig chances are that it will change your tone A LOT - I find that cabinets have a tremendous impact on the tone. Not to mention that the rig you're auditioning now also went through a mic, which again changes things up.
TL;DR: don't worry, it will sound different, but most likely better because amp-in-the-room

Awesome well I will have to try it going through the power amp section of my 6505+. Again, for a live scenario, I am only using that for stage volume and to keep the aesthetics of a live band still there but I am planning on just going direct to FOH. I just didn't know if it was going to sound super terrible on stage to where It messes with my head while playing. The have created my own merged and studio profile of my rig and tried running it through my peavey head and with the cab sim off it sounded amazing but my tastes have changed and I don't feel it would sound as good through FOH so I was looking into similar profiles with the same speaker cab combo. Thanks again!

Reaction score
I honestly thing the difference in price between non powered and powered, means I would always go non powered then buy a separate poweramp for less than the difference.

For example, Thomann sell a 1U 400 watt stereo poweramp for £156.
A Non powered rack Kemper = £1399

Non Powered Kemper + Harley Benton GPA400 = £1555

powered Kemper with built in poweramp = £1799

so.....

Really depends on what you're after. For me, lightweight and compact as possible was a priority, so having the powered kemper in a 4u (or even 3u) case was more ideal than wasting a rack space just for a power amp. If the non powered kemper were 2u that might be a different story.

The main downside to the powered version IMHO is that its mono :confused:

lewis

Reaction score
Really depends on what you're after. For me, lightweight and compact as possible was a priority, so having the powered kemper in a 4u (or even 3u) case was more ideal than wasting a rack space just for a power amp. If the non powered kemper were 2u that might be a different story.

The main downside to the powered version IMHO is that its mono :confused:

wow/// genuinely never knew that. At the price point, that seems abit criminal to me.

I personally would be fine wasting a 1U of extra space to use a poweramp that is stereo, loud, and the GPA400 weighs next to nothing compared to other offerings (cough, Rocktron, Cough)

takotakumi

Reaction score
also,
Green Scream, Treble Boost or the Mouse (RAT)
what wins for snarly modern metal?.
Thinking either of the latter?. Not that sold on the green scream personally.

anyone had awesome Mouse boost results for twang/chime
I think I'm in the 1% minority when I say this, but I LOVE the built in KPA Green Scream.
Actually, loved it that much that I have purchased OD pedals to get back into the real OD in front
but none have met or surpassed the tone I get currently (that and wasn't content paying to get a tone I was getting free hehe)

The closest was the SD 805, but at the time I was in the need of cash and the KPA was like 90% there to me haha.
The Grid Slammer was meh for riffs but the leads were unreal. EQD Palisades was great but overkill for me.

I have not tried the treble boost and I never "got" how to get a good eq with the RAT.
Morbid Angel is one of my favorite tones and I know Trey uses one but I suck at dialing those haha

lewis

Reaction score
haha turned true cab off today for the first time when running into a real 4x12

at first you think its fizzy, but when you get used to it....it sounds 100x better.
Rigs come to life with it off

mlancaster1

Reaction score
I was going to try a crown xlt 3500 amp with my kemper into a mesa 4x12 but was wondering if that is too much power to run through the cab? I haven't tried it yet because im worried that it may be too much.

takotakumi

Reaction score
I was going to try a crown xlt 3500 amp with my kemper into a mesa 4x12 but was wondering if that is too much power to run through the cab? I haven't tried it yet because im worried that it may be too much.
Mmm SS functions differently that tube power, and by that I mean that sometimes huge numbers like 400 watts going into a 120 Watt cab work quite fine with no issues.I forgot what was the relation/calculation used to determine how SS power ends up "converting" into tuber power, but there is one haah

I used to use a crown XLS 202 with my kemper and orange cab, but that one was 400 Watts, 8 Ohm Bridged.
It seems yours is 1000W, 8 ohm and 2700 W bridged. The best way to make sure is to contact their support. When I contacted they were answering quickly and with very good answers. Contact them just to be double sure.

gorthul

Reaction score
Has anyone some experience on creating a sludge / doomy black metal sound with the Kemper? Stuff like Throane, Regarde Les Hommes Tomber, Converge, Phantom Winter etc.
I usually get something djenty that's not heavy enough for my taste. Any tips regarding EQ or effects to use? Would also appreciate a link to a full profile.

Last edited:
')