Kerry King and ESP

• Thread starter jayroc123
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
This bcr kkv prototype is on Reverb for $10k...interesting story too.

bynfvumd0meuyrhjqx2a.jpg

1991 B.C. Rich KKV Prototype Graphic W/Case + Candy

plays amazing, looks great. 1 Off build. Built during the Rico era but finished in the class axe era. this is a prototype model. My understanding that this was going to be a Kerry King Model that was not completed when Rico sold off BC Rich to Class Axe. It had been started and then was completed when class axe took over. Kerry King had left BC Rich at this time and then signed with ESP guitars who built him nearly the identical guitar.[QUOTE/]

bynfvumd0meuyrhjqx2a.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure that conversation went like this:

BC Rich: Kerry, we got your new Tribal V in, let us know if you like it.
KK: I don’t know man… I think it is missing something. It just doesn’t scream “South of Heaven” to me.
BC Rich: We could give it flames.
KK: Like a flame top?
BC Rich: No, actual flames.
KK: (in wrestling voice) Hell yeah brother! Oh Yeah!

Eastcoastsavage666

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It makes sense that Kerry left when class axe BC Rich wouldn’t build him a neck through custom. Kerry came back when Bernie returned to BC Rich and did make him a neck through custom. The bolt on alleged prototype definitely supports the story.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It makes sense that Kerry left when class axe BC Rich wouldn’t build him a neck through custom. Kerry came back when Bernie returned to BC Rich and did make him a neck through custom. The bolt on alleged prototype definitely supports the story.
To be fair, I would've left just because Class Axe. There are some incredibly shitty guitars from that era.

Rosal76

Reaction score
The ESP KK V was so damn cool. I was just a little kid dreaming as I read musician’s friend catalogs seeing things like the ESP Kerry King V, Washburn USA Dimes,James Hetfield Explorer, or the Hetfield flame V ESP. What I would give to have grown up money back then and buy them all.

+1. I also got the 1995 Musicians Friend catalog where the ESP Kerry King model first appeared. $1,800 for the black bolt on version and $2,000 for the red and black crackle and eagle inlays version. Awesome prices now but back in 1995, it might as well be $10,000 as I was a senior in high school. The Jackson Dave Mustaine and Marty Friedman signature models were also cool.

Rosal76

Reaction score
The first *new* BCR KKV from like 97-98 was awesome as af. I used to drool over it in the GW ad for BCR. Black burst flame top with a reverse ASM headstock and big diamond inlays. It was probably the most tasteful guitar that guy ever touched.

I did the same thing when I first saw it, too. Flipping through the Guitar World magazine and saw the ad. Someone on a B.C. Rich FB group that I frequent has one.

1720717565923.png

Rosal76

Reaction score
The first *new* BCR KKV from like 97-98 was awesome as af. I used to drool over it in the GW ad for BCR. Black burst flame top with a reverse ASM headstock and big diamond inlays. It was probably the most tasteful guitar that guy ever touched.

Here's a rare KKV with a Floyd Rose instead of the regular Kahler. Back then, the B.C. Rich U.S. custom shop was a little more lenient as they installed Floyd Roses, fixed bridges (if you can believe that, LOL), and non EMG pickups on the KK models. IMHO, the flame maple on this model is too hard to see. I actually thought the finish was solid black when I first saw it. I thought that guitars with flame maple tops are meant for people to actually see the flame patterns.

Someone on the same B.C. Rich FB page has a red one but I can't find the pictures.

1720741366576.png

Picture of Kerry sighing the guitar. If Kerry didn't wear sunglasses all the time, he would have noticed that the flame maple patterns are too hard to see, too. 🤪

1720741996544.png

Last edited:

sell2792

Reaction score
Here's a rare KKV with a Floyd Rose instead of the regular Kahler. Back then, the B.C. Rich U.S. custom shop was a little more lenient as they installed Floyd Roses, fixed bridges (if you can believe that, LOL), and non EMG pickups on the KK models. IMHO, the flame maple on this model is too hard to see. I actually thought the finish was solid black when I first saw it. I thought that guitars with flame maple tops are meant for people to actually see the flame patterns.

Someone on the same B.C. Rich FB page has a red one but I can't find the pictures.

View attachment 146704

Picture of Kerry sighing the guitar. If Kerry didn't wear sunglasses all the time, he would have noticed that the flame maple patterns are too hard to see, too. 🤪

View attachment 146705

I genuinely don't understand why people get their guitars signed, let alone in super obvious places. Like, at least have the control panel signed or something. Damn.

JSKrev

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I genuinely don't understand why people get their guitars signed, let alone in super obvious places. Like, at least have the control panel signed or something. Damn.

If viewed as a collectable, the guitar is worth more now signed by its endorsee. I agree that it's better in a less conspicuous spot in the event that you want to play it.

Last edited:

sell2792

Reaction score
If viewed as a collectable, the guitar is worth more now signed by its endorsee. I agree that it's better in a less conspicuous spot in the event that you want to play it.
I suppose so, but I guess I'm just not someone who's sentimental about that stuff. Not to sound like I'm bragging but I meet famous people on a somewhat regular basis due to work and I've never once thought to ask them for a signature on anything. Also, that V is/was so bad ass as is, if anything Kerry's signature would make it less valuable to me and that's as someone who loves old Slayer.

manu80

Reaction score
I'd be curious to wait for the next dean model. If it looks like the one we saw on recent pics, it goes back to that "regular" V shape he had instead of the KKV claw V released last year. Wait and see...I'd be up for one like this for sure.
Easy thing would be to find the flame tribal bc rich and have it refined in black too....

Last edited:

soul_lip_mike

Contributor
Reaction score
+1. I also got the 1995 Musicians Friend catalog where the ESP Kerry King model first appeared. $1,800 for the black bolt on version and $2,000 for the red and black crackle and eagle inlays version. Awesome prices now but back in 1995, it might as well be $10,000 as I was a senior in high school. The Jackson Dave Mustaine and Marty Friedman signature models were also cool.
Oh hell yea man. The days of the Marty and Dave signature Jackson models too. I remember looking forward to the new Musicians Friend catalog coming in the mail since that was my only way of knowing what was coming out.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
I'd be curious to wait for the next dean model. If it looks like the one we saw on recent pics, it goes back to that "regular" V shape he had instead of the KKV claw V released last year. Wait and see...I'd be up for one like this for sure.
Easy thing would be to find the flame tribal bc rich and have it refined in black too....
Even then you're still going to have to deal with some sort of atrocious Dean headstock...

manu80

Reaction score
well the fact that it matches the body shape in reverse and smaller doesn't bother me.. "Symetry" is fine. Not worse than the scarab bc rich headstock either.....

Latest posts

')