Kid shreds at NAMM

Ckackley

Reaction score
The kids awesome. Way better at technical playing than I'll probably ever be.
There's a kid local to me that is a complete genius at shredding. He's a huge Randy Rhoads fanatic and can play every solo perfectly. I see him playing guitars at the local guitar shop here. The only problem comes in when someone throws a drum beat or a click at him or he tries to jam with someone. He crumples and falls to pieces. It's a shame really , though I'm sure with time he'll get it together.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Origin

Rainbow In The Dark
Reaction score
Fuck, I hate kids like this who make me feel shitty. WELL, time to practice -_-

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
I don't see what's wrong in playing other people's pieces. Maybe he's not a composer, so what.
Isaac Stern didn't write any piece of music that I know of. He "just" spent his life playing Mozart, Beethoven etc and is widely acclaimed as one of the best violin players of the 20th century.

Wish I played like that kid, likely too late for me now with work schedule, family life etc. :(

Reactions: MJS

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't see what's wrong in playing other people's pieces. Maybe he's not a composer, so what.
Isaac Stern didn't write any piece of music that I know of. He "just" spent his life playing Mozart, Beethoven etc and is widely acclaimed as one of the best violin players of the 20th century.

Wish I played like that kid, likely too late for me now with work schedule, family life etc. :(

Very compelling argument. Guitar seems to be the only instrument where people almost demand that you be a competent songwriter as well as musician. You can get by on almost any other instrument for a life time never writing a single note of original music yourself and people won't think any less of you for it, but if you're a guitarist, you're pretty much expected to be a closet composer as well.

Having said that... DAMN, kid has chops!

SweepsAllDay

Bow to Keyboard Cat.
Reaction score
Anyone saying something bad about this kid is most likely riddled with jealousy. You can't deny how amazing it is to see such technical prowess at such a young age.

Reactions: MJS
Reaction score
Very compelling argument. Guitar seems to be the only instrument where people almost demand that you be a competent songwriter as well as musician. You can get by on almost any other instrument for a life time never writing a single note of original music yourself and people won't think any less of you for it, but if you're a guitarist, you're pretty much expected to be a closet composer as well.

Well yeah man. Why else do you think people wig out when they see a guy with a guitar walking down the street? They wouldn't do that shit if the guy had a trombone that is for sure.

Modern bands brought the guitar in to the mainstream spot light, and set it apart from more classy instruments like the piano. For instance, Jimi hendrix and jimi page took the guitar and made it rebellious and sexy. They also made some of the most memorable songs of their time.

As a result of that, you have to step up your game more than other people who play other instruments. Yeah it is kinda lame, but I'm down though. Guitar is probably the funnest thing ever, and like i said before people FREAK OUT when they see you with one. You know how people say guitar gets you laid? Yeah man. The second you take the guitar from its modern sexstrument pedestal and bring it to a classical setting, all of that cool rockstar stuff goes with it.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Well yeah man. Why else do you think people wig out when they see a guy with a guitar walking down the street? They wouldn't do that shit if the guy had a trombone that is for sure.

Modern bands brought the guitar in to the mainstream spot light, and set it apart from more classy instruments like the piano. For instance, Jimi hendrix and jimi page took the guitar and made it rebellious and sexy. They also made some of the most memorable songs of their time.

As a result of that, you have to step up your game more than other people who play other instruments. Yeah it is kinda lame, but I'm down though. Guitar is probably the funnest thing ever, and like i said before people FREAK OUT when they see you with one. You know how people say guitar gets you laid? Yeah man. The second you take the guitar from its modern sexstrument pedestal and bring it to a classical setting, all of that cool rockstar stuff goes with it.

I've NEVER gotten lady-props for being a guitarist, even though I'm definitely not a classical type player. Fuck me. :noplease:

Reaction score
I've NEVER gotten lady-props for being a guitarist, even though I'm definitely not a classical type player. Fuck me. :noplease:

Have you played at a party for a bunch of drunk bitches? I haven't, but I'd imagine that would be a great way to go about it. lol

Charles

Happy Metal
Reaction score
Pretty inspiring stuff. Yes, he may not write any of his own music, but who the hell cares? Nothing's made me want to practice so hard in a long time.

Thanks for the vid, OP.

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
Anton is a very talented kid, and it's still to soon to tell whether he has the composition ability to match or not. I most certainly don't look at a kid with well nurtured technique and immediatelly expect to see the next W.A.Mozart! :lol:

He's still young, and gathering a very solid array of technical resources, so let's see how his ability to make music matches his chops as he matures. :)

Reaction score
Well in that case I would be glad.

Same here man. haha. He should follow suit with shawn lane, greg howe, and chris poland and throw down some jazz fusion. Seein that kid jam on some jazz would make my day. Not only that, but imagine how brutal his hybrid picking licks would be in that sort of context :bowdown:

sunbasket

Reaction score
I don't think he'll burn out, but I hope he gets some time to just be a normal kid as well.

I wonder how his friendships with classmates at school are. He must be a bit alienated, albeit in a good way. "this child is special"... and to be honest I bet it hasn't helped him get any more sweethearts than any other kid. At that age, in the eyes of a potential sweetheart, a cool jacket / cool older brother = virtuosic shredding ability. Imagine if he had a cool jacket too... :idea:

And I'm sure at least once he reaches high school he won't get picked on as if he were prodigious at the piano, or insanely good at the oboe. I mean, c'mon, this is guitar, coolest instrument around!

scottro202

I'm walkin' here!!!
Reaction score
Once he hits puberty, starts having his heart broken by shallow teenage girls, and generally grows up to see how cruel and fucked-up the world is, he'll have one helluva a "painter's palette" right at his fingertips :yesway:

:lol: That's what got me started song writing.

I'll never forget the first song I wrote, "Scotty Fell For a Lesbian"

/offtopic

But seriously, this kid's insane. I wish I could shred like him. Let's hope he becomes as good of a songwriter as he is guitar player :yesway:

/ontopic

Murmel

Reaction score
or he'll start playing stuff like My Chemical Romance or BFMV
I don't hate the world or am sad about a relationship and I still like to play BFMV sometimes :ugh:
Or well, I do think that the world is kind of fucked up and that people these days generally aren't all that nice. But later I feel like it's become a little bit better on the latter part :yesway:

auxioluck

Metal Teddy Bear
Reaction score
ok, lets see him write a song now. i was bored watching him. not that that it isnt cool for someone so young, but in all honosty, when i listen to music, i dont care what the person looks like or how old they are, but that they have insteresting music, and if thats all that kids learning, hes missing the mark

These were my exact thoughts when I watched him playing PG stuff. There's no creativity or emotion there. The kid's got chops, but nothing musically that sets him apart from everyone else. :2c:

')