Kid shreds at NAMM

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

WillingWell

Reaction score
Let's all hope he doesn't grow up to be a fat as shawn lane. Let's also hope he lives longer than shawn lane as well.

That's really in poor taste. Shawn's weight was directly related to the same reason he died; he was on steroids for psoriatic arthiris since his youth which caused the weight gain.

MJS

Reaction score
I can't picture being bitter enough to see anything wrong with what this kid's doing.

Some of the replies seem to translate to: "Big deal that a little kid can play anything that some of the greatest guitarists alive play... let's see him play some mediocre crap like I play, which must have a ton of feeling because it's way slower and sloppier than what he's playing." :lol:

I guess he should just hold one note for 10 minutes and make a bunch of stupid faces to show the naysayers how versatile he can be. :D

Not getting the bashing for lack of song-writing either. I don't see most adults writing anything worth listening to. Most adults also don't seem to play other peoples' stuff as well as him either. What's left?

I also don't get the fear of him not having a childhood. He looks like he's having a lot of fun doing what he wants to be doing, which is exactly what being a kid is all about.

Anyway... I'm curious to see how things work out for him and hope he keeps having fun with it. :yesway:

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
I can't picture being bitter enough to see anything wrong with what this kid's doing.

Some of the replies seem to translate to: "Big deal that a little kid can play anything that some of the greatest guitarists alive play... let's see him play some mediocre crap like I play, which must have a ton of feeling because it's way slower and sloppier than what he's playing." :lol:

I guess he should just hold one note for 10 minutes and make a bunch of stupid faces to show the naysayers how versatile he can be. :D

Not getting the bashing for lack of song-writing either. I don't see most adults writing anything worth listening to. Most adults also don't seem to play other peoples' stuff as well as him either. What's left?

I also don't get the fear of him not having a childhood. He looks like he's having a lot of fun doing what he wants to be doing, which is exactly what being a kid is all about.

Anyway... I'm curious to see how things work out for him and hope he keeps having fun with it. :yesway:

Great post, well done :yesway:

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
So? :squint:

Young brains have the ability to assimilate ANYTHING ten times faster and better than any old brain. Specially motor-language related abilities like art/music which is entirely motor and language based in the brain. It's called neuroplasticity. Google it.

High level cognitive processing like logical thinking, thats something special.

Besides that, young brains don't have the ability to reproduce it's own authentic songwriting in the full spectrum of the human emotion. Why? Well, a kid doing art is just a kid.

And even after all that, the conclusion is?

auxioluck

Metal Teddy Bear
Reaction score

I'm definitely not bitter about it, and I'm not really jealous about it either. I said it, the kid has ridiculous chops, and yeah, he's way better than I am, but there's always going to be someone better than I am. There's no reason for any person to be jealous about someone being better.

I'm not asking for him to write me a masterpiece, nor do I want him to write anything now, the only thing that makes me worried about future songwriting for him is that he's always just looked like a machine to me. He has the chops, but I'm not sure he has the passion. For me, music is an emotional thing, and it scares me when I see emotionless musicians. It makes me really leery of their reasons for doing what they are doing. Emotion doesn't mean he plays slow, pretty leads, but emotion is looking at someone playing and KNOWING that they are loving what they are doing more than anything else in the world. Knowing what kind of parents are out there also makes me curious if this really him doing what he wants to or if this is a "Dad living vicariously through the son" kind of thing. I know that this has been said before.

The kid's good, but the unfortunate thing for him is that until he develops the creative and composition side of his musical personality, he'll just be "that kid that's got chops." Don't get me wrong, I wish him the best, and I hope at some point we see some cool writing from him, I can just see this either being a great foundation, or just becoming a pigeon hole. It reminds me of when the drum scene blew up about Tony Royster, Jr. when he was insanely good at 8-12 years old, and now he's just treated like another good drummer. It seems like everything changes when the novelty of age wears off. :2c:

Reaction score
So? :squint:

Young brains have the ability to assimilate ANYTHING ten times faster and better than any old brain. Specially motor-language related abilities like art/music which is entirely motor and language based in the brain. It's called neuroplasticity. Google it.

High level cognitive processing like logical thinking, thats something special.

Besides that, young brains don't have the ability to reproduce it's own authentic songwriting in the full spectrum of the human emotion. Why? Well, a kid doing art is just a kid.

Look at the original I just posted above, I think it sounds pretty good and I've been listening to it for the past couple of days. While his influences are obvious the song is still badass :metal:

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
yep the only way this kid will progress to the point where he can "make a living" and be a good guitarist in the eyes of many, is if he branches out and becomes more rounded, instead of a one trick pony.

He needs to get into jazz, learn all the chordal shit involved with it (the true difficult part of guitar).. almost anyone can shred those kinda paul gilbert songs with 2-3 years of practice, because everything is already tabbed out and all you have to do is be dedicated in practicing.. then your improvising in that genre is generally very bland and linear..

Not to say he isnt good, he has a great foundation so far, but I dont think he'll be anything more than a "oh cool, a 12 year old shredding".. Once hes 18, if he stays in this style, no one will care anymore because theres tons of 18 year olds who can already do that stuff all over youtube. Nick Sterling comes to mind too, the 14 year old "shred wizard kid" who is now pretty much irrelevant when he grew up.

I just really think thats the difference between jazz and metal/shred.. Its not that jazz is more difficult to physically play per say, its how much more mental compacity comes with it, thinking of your chord changes as you improvise, all that junk which really takes years of learning. Shred stuff is hard but not impossible for anyone to learn in a year or two of strict playing, esp when doing covers and stuff because theres one way to play it, thats it.

guitareben

Reaction score
I hate this guy haha. He is SO AMAZING and i allways get jealos of him. Ah well, good for him for being so good :eek:

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
yep the only way this kid will progress to the point where he can "make a living" and be a good guitarist in the eyes of many, is if he branches out and becomes more rounded, instead of a one trick pony.

He needs to get into jazz, learn all the chordal shit involved with it (the true difficult part of guitar).. almost anyone can shred those kinda paul gilbert songs with 2-3 years of practice, because everything is already tabbed out and all you have to do is be dedicated in practicing.. then your improvising in that genre is generally very bland and linear..

Not to say he isnt good, he has a great foundation so far, but I dont think he'll be anything more than a "oh cool, a 12 year old shredding".. Once hes 18, if he stays in this style, no one will care anymore because theres tons of 18 year olds who can already do that stuff all over youtube. Nick Sterling comes to mind too, the 14 year old "shred wizard kid" who is now pretty much irrelevant when he grew up.

I just really think thats the difference between jazz and metal/shred.. Its not that jazz is more difficult to physically play per say, its how much more mental compacity comes with it, thinking of your chord changes as you improvise, all that junk which really takes years of learning. Shred stuff is hard but not impossible for anyone to learn in a year or two of strict playing, esp when doing covers and stuff because theres one way to play it, thats it.

This. When this clicked for me a few years back a lot of metal just seemed like mindless dreck, and I understood why jazz fusion is held in such high esteem. At that point, I put the metronome away and stopped the whole "shred training" regime that I think a lot of young guitarists turn into.

I can't sweep for shit, I can't rip out Gilbert-style ultra speed picking licks, but I think to think that as a musician (player and listener) it was the best thing that ever happened to me.

Reaction score
What's with the jealousy? Every thread I see on a new talented player showing off incredible technique ends up in criticizing them for not making music.

Firstly, you know nothing of the actual music he makes. You're making a judgement on a short video of him messing about. The video was clearly posted to show how impressive his technique is for a kid of his age, not to show how era defining his composition is.

Secondly, some people are more than happy with just playing technical exercises. If people get a kick out of it then what makes you so holy as to look down on them for it? People play guitar for many different reasons, not everyone wants to sell a million records.

Reactions: MJS

boni

Reaction score
And even after all that, the conclusion is?

the conclusion is:

1) a kid learning to play guitar has a young brain, that learn stuff 10 times better and faster. there's *nothing* special about a kid having a great technique re-playing generic guitar shred songs. it happens all the time, at a fast pace, for reasons stated above, without any particular special thing going on. young brains are bound to have great technique. and great technique happens all the time. If you have ever visited youtube for awhile, you are going to find many bedroom shredders with great technique. So, nothing new here: great technique makes me yawn

2) Usually, a kid doing art is just a kid. it's just a project of a human being. I listened to his compositions and I'm waiting to be surprised, I see nothing special. If you live in an alternate reality where adults are not making any kind of good artistic expression, then I feel sorry for you. Kids usually don't make art, its rare. Adults, with sensibilities and subjectivity acquired through experience, by growing up, make art; because art usually grows up from life experiences. Is this a rule? No. It has exceptions and IMO this kid is no exception after all these songs I listened from him

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
the keyword in the post above mine is this "If you have ever visited youtube for awhile, you are going to find many bedroom shredders with great technique. So, nothing new here"

Like that guy said, theres TONS of these kinda kids on youtube, all playing the same yngwie or paul gilbert songs. Some are 12 like him even, some get shows out of it, but in the end; Most of them fade into obscurity once they grow up, when no one can say "OMG you are 12 and amazing!"..

So yea, thats my point. If he was 18, no one here would be talking about him, cause theres 1000s on youtube doing the exact same songs as him, probably even better.

He cant coast on shred for the rest of his life, as anyone who is a "shredder" and tried to audition for something other than shred/metal bands has found out in the past. You get laughed out pretty fast if you cant sightread/adapt to other styles/improvise.

')