Kiesel goes EVH

• Thread starter Zado
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nah they're recessed. If you look close you can see the paint going into the cavities

I do wonder IF they do get some kinda C&D they'll pull some kinda "I'm being silenced/cancelled!!!' thing lol
I could see that happening

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Let's pick a hill to die on with this shit at least. The way I see the wind blowing around here it seems to be:

American made splatter variations from a famous dead guy's meme guitar = bad.

Chinese communist industrial subsidy offset guitars undercutting American luthiers = good.

somethingsomething

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I hate that Kiesel won't do top-mount Floyds. The fact that they don't do it on an EVH guitar is the most offensive thing about this whole pointless affair.

JSKrev

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Are these top-mount floyd’s? If so, that’s pretty on the nose. No doubt someone got a phone call soon after these were announced to the public.

I can only imagine Kiesel and Co balking at a legal phone call until a formal C&D letter shows up.

The ones on the ends look recessed, but the middle ones aren't (at least to my eye). Top-mount is what Eddie used. At least they got that right...

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
The ones on the ends look recessed, but the middle ones aren't (at least to my eye). Top-mount is what Eddie used. At least they got that right...
Pretty sure they're all recessed, the Photoshop touchups + low resolution just makes it hard to see.

Oh yeah you can also just Google the guitars themselves because this is semi-old news. They are recessed. just realized the actual post about this is dated June 17th. :lol:

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Let's pick a hill to die on with this shit at least. The way I see the wind blowing around here it seems to be:

American made splatter variations from a famous dead guy's meme guitar = bad.

Chinese communist industrial subsidy offset guitars undercutting American luthiers = good.
I'm not sure if you're serious (or what a communist industrial subsidy offset guitar is) but I think people do need to be consistent in where they draw the ethical line. I don't like Chinese knock off strandbergs any more than this Kiesel EVH. But, I also don't buy the straw man that "everything is a copy of a Strat" either.

Not to get all philosophical, but I think blatant copying is a cop out, and avoids the need to be innovative. It's a short cut to profit at the expense of actually contributing anything to advance whatever the product or service is. I no more like that in guitars than I do when Samsung took screen shots of the iPhone and told it's engineers to scrap what they were working on, and instead "copy this." To me, that's the artistic/intellectual/production/scientific equivalent of autotune. I know I sound holier than thou, but it's just how I feel about it.

On this particular subject, the EVH Kiesel, I am quite sure there is a way to do this right. I'm also quite sure Jeff Kiesel has no idea how to do that, because he simply doesn't care. It's just all hubris and profit for him. He's like the fast fashion of the guitar industry.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
industrial subsidy offset
Price dumping. In this case specifically with products directly resultant of IP theft instead of in house innovation or development, which is not uncommon at fucking all in the East.

_MonSTeR_

Reaction score
Price dumping. In this case specifically with products directly resultant of IP theft instead of in house innovation or development, which is not uncommon at fucking all in the East.

Thanks for explaining this is detail, because I only skimmed the posts and was left thinking...

Chinese communist industrial subsidy "offset guitars" undercutting American luthiers = good.

Jaguars, or Jazzmasters? :D

Riverview

Reaction score
On this particular subject, the EVH Kiesel, I am quite sure there is a way to do this right. I'm also quite sure Jeff Kiesel has no idea how to do that, because he simply doesn't care. It's just all hubris and profit for him. He's like the fast fashion of the guitar industry.

poor take imo .

The guitar industry has been copying Les Paul and Strat shapes since the beginning of electric guitars , yet alone paint jobs . Does that mean every single guitar maker with a tobacco burst guitar is hubris and profit ?

They say imitation is the greatest form of flattery , I’m pretty sure Eddie would be stoked to see people rocking a guitar with this paint job , obviously we all know that splatter paint job is related to him , but at the end of the day it still is a fairly universal idea and has been done in multiple industries for decades , and it is not an original idea . There has been many companies who have done this already , hell I know a local shop who has one in this exact finish for sale right now ;

IMG_6017.jpeg

So why aren’t you and everyone else up in arms about the others who also do it ? Unless the paint job is trademarked , which would be silly , I say fair play to everyone who wants to do it … it’s literally just paint .

While I think it’s noble , and I understand where people are coming from to a degree to validate Eddies massive presence in music , and the relation to the guitars to EVH as a brand , at the end of the day I think Eddie would be stoked to see anyone pick up a guitar and play . Red paint or not . I don’t think Kiesel doing a limited launch is going to water down the EVH image , as I mentioned it has been done way before Kiesel .

Same logic applies for Dime’s slimeburst finish . Scott from Anthrax just released his signature guitar based on his guitar , and Jackson sells thousands of them , but you don’t bat an eye to that ? Jackson will make more money off that than Kiesel will , and Fender is already controls majority of the market … hypocritical thinking if you ask me .

Anyways that’s my 0.02 , I think this forums fascination with gatekeeping and bashing has become pretty sad , it is just paint . That being said , if EVH is really that over the top with protecting a paint job , I think that’s pretty lame as well .

Last edited:

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Tacky money grabs are only okay if they're domestic apparently.
People are going to buy what they want, just pick a hill to die on about it is all I'm saying. Seems like a lot of folks just don't like Jeff, and as I don't have strong feelings about him or EVH I find it funny folks are picking at these guitars- which are definitely better than the frankenshit coming out of the East by every single technical and ethic metric.

Ray-T

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I definitely wouldn't want Jeff Kiesel's eruption splatter on my guitar :ugh:

')