Kiesel quality control

• Thread starter Sam I am
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam I am

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Not your grandma but I'm not selling anything either, so no need to misrepresent ......thank you for you kind comment

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sam I am

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
At least you got a choice top, looks nice. I say just throw the springs in and carry on as normal, as this didn't break the guitar, and I bet @Jonathan20022 's 80 year old grandmother could put the springs in herself, I'm sure you can Sam.
I followed the video their tech sent , the strings when tightened lift the back piece , plus I'm out 2 strings ,,,,as I have said in prior they should save the shipping 4000+ miles round trip and give me an option of a place local to have it set up that's all . I don't not have the correct knowledge on set up yet .

creepymcpeepers

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Man I'm sorry your experience was like this, mine came flawless with no issues and is probably my favorite guitar.
Lol this reminds me of a time I was waiting tables at Outback Steakhouse. I woman came in all upset her dog died and my reaction was to show her a picture of my alive dog… my friend said what a horrible reaction … here’s my alive dog the opposite of your dead dog lol

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I followed the video their tech sent , the strings when tightened lift the back piece , plus I'm out 2 strings ,,,,as I have said in prior they should save the shipping 4000+ miles round trip and give me an option of a place local to have it set up that's all . I don't not have the correct knowledge on set up yet .
I mean, you don't have to be a genius to set up a trem. Slack the strings, put in the springs, string up new strings, lock strings in locking tuner, tune to pitch, adjust claw until its level with body, and retune, adjust claw and retune as needed until balanced. You're kind of already in this situation, but if you want to pay a monkey at a shop to do it, by all means, but looks like Kiesel won't help anymore.

creepymcpeepers

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Received my new guitar with the vibrato/ tremelo springs laying in the case with guitar and 1 string broke off at tuner a 2nd broke at tuner after calling/emailing to find out what the extra springs were for only to be notified that they belonged in the guitar.... I'm new to guitar and because I play lefty the custom choices are rare, they had the " lead tech " talk with me and he sent a video how to install the springs ,,,only to find out that the wood screws used to tighten the spring holders were so loose the springs did not stay on.... Emailing again it became apparent that this brand has no problem of the consumer repairing a brand new guitar.....I'm not a set up person yet because I'm new into playing, and the 5 + month wait for this thing to be built should not need fully done.....the guitar is beautiful, it had wrong color pick-up rings from order but found no cosmetic issues scratch or dings,, my disparity is :
1. No quality control list or final inspection proof... and shipping back across the U.S and then back again with hopes nothing else happens... Which opens up another can ...
The tool to easily put the spring on is at fu-tone.com

Sam I am

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Lol this reminds me of a time I was waiting tables at Outback Steakhouse. I woman came in all upset her dog died and my reaction was to show her a picture of my alive dog… my friend said what a horrible reaction … here’s my alive dog the opposite of your dead dog lol
Hopefully this guitar lasts longer than her dog ..lol it's been an eye opener.... I have 5 other guitars I can play ,,,this was the only custom and last also..

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
This doesn't make any sense.

1. Springs don't pass through solid objects, no matter how hard they are hit.
2. The trem in your photo of the top of the guitar is leaning the wrong way. If the strings are pulling on it, and there are no springs to balance, the force of the strings should pull the trem closer to the neck or dislodge it completely. I get the feeling something else is wrong.

My first guess is that someone forgot to attach the springs and then shipped the guitar. But even that doesn't make any sense. Don't they try to at least tune the strings up to some sort of pitch before shipping?! They should have at least intonated the guitar. That wouldn't be possible without the strings at some sort of pitch, which, in turn, is impossible if the bridge is not held in place by any sort of mechanical force.

I know Kiesel has done some really really dumb things in the recent past, but are you certain you didn't take the springs out yourself?! I can't see the Kiesel tech taking the springs out after everything else was adjusted, and they certainly didn't teleport out of the trem cavity, through the cover, and into the other part of the case magically. I'm all for blaming Kiesel for poor QC when they fuck up, but this seems like it'd take way too much effort for them to do... unless......

Is there a chance that your country's border police took the springs out, thinking there were drugs hidden in the trem cavity? I know it sounds crazy, but, if you didn't take the springs out yourself, it seems to be the only semi-plausible explanation for this situation. In that case, I guess, the guitar might be okay. Except there is still some reason why the trem itself is tilted the wrong way in the photo.

Man, I don't know. If this was posted right after you received it, I'd say just return it. Maybe try to gently reason with Kiesel about the fact that this situation is not your fault and that there might be damage to the guitar caused by shipping. If they are the shippers, and they insured the shipment, then they would have to take it up with the parcel carrier, who would have to probably take it up with import agents or customs or whatever.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I love your posts; they're like a holiday from the ordinary. Always the most random topic that somehow always find any excuse to go to Outback Steakhouse. You play by no rules, yet your content is somehow always just right. Crave on!

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
I mean... Kiesel isn't going to authorize a shop in your area to work on this guitar so that's not up for discussion. The "fix" is not a complicated one and plenty of people here on SSO are more than willing to walk you through this... which is essentially putting the springs in and adjusting the two trem-screws as necessary to level the bridge. It's not even a little difficult regardless of you not wanting to do this. If Kiesel offers to pay shipping both ways and you decide to send it to them, then that's up to you and them. I personally wouldn't go that route as I'd hate to risk the guitar actually getting damaged in transit. But aside from that, I really think the best way to go is to replace the strings... either the whole set or just the damaged ones. Hell... ask Kiesel to send you a new set of strings. But if they don't then just buy a new set and install them then throw those springs on... get the bridge leveled and you're done. Plus you've saved money and learned how to do part of a basic set-up. There's plenty of tutorials and again, guys here on SSO would be more than happy to walk you through it as well. They're dealt with vejichan... They can help you!

Only condition that I'd send that guitar back to Kiesel is if the screw threads in the wood are stripped out but pretty sure that's not the case. BTW gorgeous guitar.

Sam I am

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I mean... Kiesel isn't going to authorize a shop in your area to work on this guitar so that's not up for discussion. The "fix" is not a complicated one and plenty of people here on SSO are more than willing to walk you through this... which is essentially putting the springs in and adjusting the two trem-screws as necessary to level the bridge. It's not even a little difficult regardless of you not wanting to do this. If Kiesel offers to pay shipping both ways and you decide to send it to them, then that's up to you and them. I personally wouldn't go that route as I'd hate to risk the guitar actually getting damaged in transit. But aside from that, I really think the best way to go is to replace the strings... either the whole set or just the damaged ones. Hell... ask Kiesel to send you a new set of strings. But if they don't then just buy a new set and install them then throw those springs on... get the bridge leveled and you're done. Plus you've saved money and learned how to do part of a basic set-up. There's plenty of tutorials and again, guys here on SSO would be more than happy to walk you through it as well. They're dealt with vejichan... They can help you!

Only condition that I'd send that guitar back to Kiesel is if the screw threads in the wood are stripped out but pretty sure that's not the case. BTW gorgeous guitar.
I agree ,,,I've been running on emotion over this and thankful at least I have it here. I need to learn this so now is the time ..

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
There is more than one way to do this, but here's my recommendation:

1. Loosen the strings, but don't remove them. If you have a locking nut, you'll have to unclamp it first.
2. Place the hook ends of the springs into the trem block holes.
3. Place the loop ends of the springs over the claws on the trem claw. Loosen the trem claw screws if it's difficult to reach (probably will be).
4. Black the trem by placing an appropriately-sized object between the trem block and the body. A 9V battery often fits, but it depends on the size of the route. The size of the block should be such that the bridge stays level.
5. Tune the strings to pitch.
6. Tighten the trem claw until the block just barely slides out on its own. If you do this properly, you shouldn't have to retune.
7. Put everything else (locking nut, trem cavity cover, etc.) back the way it was.
8. Rock out.

BComer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Kind of makes me wonder if this is a problem with the direct model. A dealer would have resolved this for you. They would have either fixed it up in house, or sent it back.
Either way, I would have an experienced luthier look it over and make sure it doesn't have any structural defects.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is one of those situations where a company with good customer service would read the room, and just send off a $50 check (which should cover just about whatever shop minimum this would take) and call it a day. It's worth infinitely more in good will than just fucking around.

Sam I am

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Kind of makes me wonder if this is a problem with the direct model. A dealer would have resolved this for you. They would have either fixed it up in house, or sent it back.
Either way, I would have an experienced luthier look it over and make sure it doesn't have any structural defects.
I had it all corrected yesterday was planning it last night all is well

lewstherin006

Reaction score

I have bought Amps directly from companies that are in another country and they take care of any issues anyone has. Over night tubes, taking care of damage etc.

This is one of those situations where a company with good customer service would read the room, and just send off a $50 check (which should cover just about whatever shop minimum this would take) and call it a day. It's worth infinitely more in good will than just fucking around.

Its hard to actually take care of the people who buy stuff from you these days /sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

tedtan

Reaction score
It’s not the direct to consumer model, its semi-competent management. Jeff is able to keep the business running, but I think he intentionally shifted focus to target the djent crowd because 1) it was a trend, and 2) the djent crowd tends to be younger and, as such, less demanding than an older demographic would generally be.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I had it all corrected yesterday was planning it last night all is well
Great news! Did you do it yourself, or did you have to pay out of pocket? If it's the latter, I would scan the bill for the repair, write a polite email to Kiesel and attach the bill for their reference. Even if they ultimately do nothing, the next time it happens to someone else, you will at least have the satisfaction of knowing you did what you could and they brushed it off. Or, if it never happens again, even better.

I still have a tendency to think that this was not likely Kiesel's fault. But, as I think I said before, if something bizarre happened during shipment, there's 100% no way that it should be on you to fix it.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Great news! Did you do it yourself, or did you have to pay out of pocket? If it's the latter, I would scan the bill for the repair, write a polite email to Kiesel and attach the bill for their reference. Even if they ultimately do nothing, the next time it happens to someone else, you will at least have the satisfaction of knowing you did what you could and they brushed it off. Or, if it never happens again, even better.

I still have a tendency to think that this was not likely Kiesel's fault. But, as I think I said before, if something bizarre happened during shipment, there's 100% no way that it should be on you to fix it.
I'm just baffled that if OP is telling the full truth, which I will assume, MULTIPLE people at kiesel just didn't notice the lack of tension on the strings and somehow put the cover on, and then somehow got the springs in the case with the guitar too? I'm just so confused here on how this would have happened. Possibly sent the guitar early?? Missed a check after final assembly? There's no way shipping damage would make the springs pop out and put the cover back on, I'm just bewildered.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm just baffled that if OP is telling the full truth, which I will assume, MULTIPLE people at kiesel just didn't notice the lack of tension on the strings and somehow put the cover on, and then somehow got the springs in the case with the guitar too? I'm just so confused here on how this would have happened. Possibly sent the guitar early?? Missed a check after final assembly? There's no way shipping damage would make the springs pop out and put the cover back on, I'm just bewildered.
It's an international shipment. Here's my hypothesis, which is going to sound really weird, but I can't think of any other explanation:

1. Kiesel finished the guitar. They put it in the case. They slapped a shipping label on it, and had some broseph dude fill out the customs forms.
2. Whichever carrier picked it up, treated it no worse than usual, and took it to the border of whatever country in which OP resides.
3. Customs agents there saw a guitar with a brand name they had never heard of, and probably some questionable customs documents. Suspicious, they opened the box, saw an actual guitar. Maybe it smelled like drugs or someone was bored on that particular day, so they ended up discovering the trem cavity, and, not knowing WTF a trem cavity is, guessed it was a secret compartment for smuggling certain substances. So, they popped the cavity open, saw springs in it, and, again, having no idea what a trem cavity is, decided that the best way to search for contents inside of the springs was to pop them out of the guitar (as far as they knew, why would there be springs in a guitar?) - probably breaking the string in the process. Then they couldn't figure out how to get them back on, said "fuck it," and just haphazardly threw everything back into the case and sealed it back up, rubber stamped it, and forgot it ever happened.
4. OP gets the guitar, is immediately like "WTF?!", contacts Kiesel, who, being Kiesel, sends OP instructions on how to fix it, and pretends like none of this ever happened.

Here in the US, our customs agents are usually pretty careful and at least somewhat savvy. I know that's not universally the case in other countries. I don't recall if OP ever said what country this is, but maybe it's one with >0 ignorant customs agents checking packages. I know it sounds far fetched, but I challenge you to figure out a more plausible scenario.:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

')