"Kill Switch" Miasma

• Thread starter Metahedron
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Metahedron

((952)³ + (-951)³)
Reaction score
Through the course of my career I discovered the curious phenomena of utilizing a Gibson's pickup selector as a rhythmic device. Shortly after demonstrating for a friend I had been made aware that the likes of Jimmy Page and Tom Morello had utilized it thusly as well. My fascination only grew of course, and I had still been developing technique around it until the ramifications to the toggle switch became more and more evident. The three way toggle is far from the most comfortable solution, it gradually loosens with great ease, and occasionally produces metal debris when played swiftly. This dissatisfaction seemed something I would simply have to tolerate until I discovered an example of Buckethead's use of a similar modification.
Proceed to the following if you are not familiar:
Jordan(live)
Buckethead Lesson Figures
...regardless, this made the inconveniences of the toggle appear avoidable; which is why I am presently seeking an alternate solution. Does anyone have any recommendations?
My primary objectives are to have a switch that kills whatever configuration of pickups completely(as opposed to merely switching between a sounding pickup and a "killed" pickup)when engaged while requiring minimal effort to switch. Like Buckethead's it would be most convenient to have it release for me in some kind of spring mechanism. I would definitely be content with Buckethead's switch, if anyone could prescribe a manufacturer or distributor producing a similar item to me(though I suspect that to be unlikely).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
I thought a Miamsa was a pungent gas that caused disease?

Does this switch do something else i don't know about?

A touch sensitive Kaoss-pad type thing would be cool. You could map which pickup or coil to kill or play depending on where you tapped...

JPMDan

IT'S OVER 9000!!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
www.mouser.com

you can buy momentary push buttons that do the same effect, I have one installed in my H207 and it works excellent, you push the button and hold it to turn off, when you let go it turns back on.

Metahedron

((952)³ + (-951)³)
Reaction score
www.mouser.com

you can buy momentary push buttons that do the same effect, I have one installed in my H207 and it works excellent, you push the button and hold it to turn off, when you let go it turns back on.

I truly apreciate it brother.
Would you happen to have a product number or keyword?

metalking

turn it up lads...
Reaction score
just so you know, i read ur post an you sound really really inteligent lol, do you study english or something by any chance?

JPMDan

IT'S OVER 9000!!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
I truly apreciate it brother.
Would you happen to have a product number or keyword?

sure do, let me get it for ya. There's 3 of them black red or silver button.

part # - Color - Price

10PA322 - Red Button - 2.91
10PA323 - Black Button - 2.91
107-3029-EVX - Silver Button - 3.51

Metahedron

((952)³ + (-951)³)
Reaction score
I thought a Miamsa was a pungent gas that caused disease?

Does this switch do something else i don't know about?

A touch sensitive Kaoss-pad type thing would be cool. You could map which pickup or coil to kill or play depending on where you tapped...

Obviously, what else are guitars for... n00b
(only joking of course.)

None, but rep points for your useage of "miasma." :yesway:

Always gratifying to impose some judicious lingual repertoire, eh?

just so you know, i read ur post an you sound really really inteligent lol, do you study english or something by any chance?

Why thank you; it all originates at the electromagnetic decay resting beneath the finger tips at any given moment(no, not in any unorthodox manner.)

sure do, let me get it for ya. There's 3 of them black red or silver button.

part # - Color - Price

10PA322 - Red Button - 2.91
10PA323 - Black Button - 2.91
107-3029-EVX - Silver Button - 3.51

This has been extremely helpful.
Now if you could be so kind as to provide me with several details...
Would you know whether or not this would fit in place of a Les Paul's Toggle hole without additional drilling?
Is the silver comparable to chrome or metal flake?
I recognize several alternate versions of this switch in their .pdf catalog, can anything be said about these others?

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
+rep!
Haha dude, i haven't seen those videos in ages! The first one is the funniest...
But still...i don't understand your use of Miasma...:scratch:

I not thick eever, befur ne1 sez i is...:lol:

JPMDan

IT'S OVER 9000!!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
This has been extremely helpful.
Now if you could be so kind as to provide me with several details...
Would you know whether or not this would fit in place of a Les Paul's Toggle hole without additional drilling?
Is the silver comparable to chrome or metal flake?
I recognize several alternate versions of this switch in their .pdf catalog, can anything be said about these others?

I don't know about the toggle switch holes, I still have mine on my ESP, what I did was removed the tone knob, enlarged the hole a bit using sandpaper and a pencil.

Metahedron

((952)³ + (-951)³)
Reaction score
Clever, I doubt that would be any trouble for me.
I think I will be purchasing a couple that look suited for the job and determine which is the more convenient for me.

JPMDan

IT'S OVER 9000!!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
yeah, tone knobs are overrated IMO. removing them keeps your sound as if your tone knob is still on 10.

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
It's a cool effect. The new Schecters have 2 volume knobs. Hmm...

Metahedron

((952)³ + (-951)³)
Reaction score
It's a cool effect. The new Schecters have 2 volume knobs. Hmm...
CP500CR.jpg
You can always use concentric pots to control tone or volume if you are not concerned with an traditional appearance; and I can certainly take that A-7 off of your hands.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Yes, a miasma is a toxic gas that people used to believe rose from swamps and dead matter. "Miasma" in Japanese is 障気 (a very rare word that you will not find in any "Japanese->English" dictionaries and in very few Japanese-Japanese dictionaries).

I too do not understand how miasma relates to killswitches. I assume our friend, Metahedron, is just trying to use "big words" without regard to the subject matter. ;)

"Miasma" is a cool word though. I've used it in translations I've done before. :lol:

Metahedron

((952)³ + (-951)³)
Reaction score
Yes, a miasma is a toxic gas that people used to believe rose from swamps and dead matter. "Miasma" in Japanese is 障気 (a very rare word that you will not find in any "Japanese->English" dictionaries and in very few Japanese-Japanese dictionaries).

I too do not understand how miasma relates to killswitches. I assume our friend, Metahedron, is just trying to use "big words" without regard to the subject matter. ;)

"Miasma" is a cool word though. I've used it in translations I've done before. :lol:

Well, to comply, and lend reverence to this particular audience (which will certainly never occur in my music): I was using the term in a rather abstract regard; Rather than to be interpreted merely as a death vapor, it is used to loosely refer to a deadly influence of the atmosphere. It was in witnessing other guitarists utilize the function of the concordantly titled "kill switch" that I became infatuated with its abilities. Thusly, you could say, I am a victim of what I chose to refer to as the "kill switch miasma."

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
For some reason I thought this thread was going be about The Black Dahlia Murder.

Hexer

Contributor
Reaction score
For some reason I thought this thread was going be about The Black Dahlia Murder.

:lol: my thoughts, too. I somehow thought someone messed up Killswitch Engage and The Black Dahlia Murder in some weird way

Status
Not open for further replies.
')