"Kill Switch" Miasma

• Thread starter Metahedron
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
One other option, rather than modding your guitar, would be to use a channel switcher like the Boss Line Selector that allows you to switch between two different volume levels. Set one as you want it, and the other completely off, and then you could do the kill-switch thing without taking your hands off the guitar.

Just an idea...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metahedron

((952)³ + (-951)³)
Reaction score
One other option, rather than modding your guitar, would be to use a channel switcher like the Boss Line Selector that allows you to switch between two different volume levels. Set one as you want it, and the other completely off, and then you could do the kill-switch thing without taking your hands off the guitar.

Just an idea...

Imaginitive, and definitely in the correct direction, but do you imagine I could engage anything of the kind with as minimal effort? Another matter to consider, is that the "kill switch" effect is especially potent when paired with a whammy pedal or wah; which would be virtually impossible for two of my (3) legs to coordinate.
This has however inspired another idea(though fairly impractical)...
Suppose you were able to program a device similar to a drum machine to kill the signal for you, wouldn't that just be king?

While on the topic of sequencers, does anyone no whether or not there are on board(built directly into the guitar) loop boxes?

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Imaginitive, and definitely in the correct direction, but do you imagine I could engage anything of the kind with as minimal effort? Another matter to consider, is that the "kill switch" effect is especially potent when paired with a whammy pedal or wah; which would be virtually impossible for two of my (3) legs to coordinate.
This has however inspired another idea(though fairly impractical)...
Suppose you were able to program a device similar to a drum machine to kill the signal for you, wouldn't that just be king?

While on the topic of sequencers, does anyone no whether or not there are on board(built directly into the guitar) loop boxes?

You can do exactly what you're talking about by using a tremolo pedal with an extreme square-wave setting. That'll give you the stuttering kill-switch effect you're talking about, but still leave your hands and feet free to do other stuff.

Metahedron

((952)³ + (-951)³)
Reaction score
You can do exactly what you're talking about by using a tremolo pedal with an extreme square-wave setting. That'll give you the stuttering kill-switch effect you're talking about, but still leave your hands and feet free to do other stuff.

That sounds remarkable...
Do you know of any particular tremolo pedals that will do as much?

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
I've always liked the tremolo pedal sound (Both my RP150 and my GNX3000 have the tremolo effect in it), but it's a very specific kind of kill-switch effect. It can be used for some kinds of stuff that Tom Morello did, but not for open, suddenly shut, suddenly open, suddenly shut, suddenly open, open for a while, suddenly shut, suddenly open, etc. You would need an actual kill-switch for one of those effects, but the tremolo pedal is a very killswitch-esque effect that sounds very good, in my opinion. It just needs to be consistently reoccuring.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Always gratifying to impose some judicious lingual repertoire, eh?

Ooh, you're losing me there. I'm not sure "impose" is really the right word here, especially with regards to repertoire. As a verb, impose sort of demands an object - "impose on X" would be a traditional form. If you're looking to impose your wide-ranging vocabulary, an unusual buy metaphorically sound formulation, then you're sort of leaving it hanging when it comes to who or what is being imposed on.

I mean, I'm assuming that you meant something along the lines of "Always gratifying to impose some judicious lingual repertoire upon an internet community," but when you choose such heightened diction, I'm left feeling like I shouldn't HAVE to assume. ;)

Anyway, I think "Always gratifying to engage in some judicious linguistic gymnastics, eh?" takes the cake here, both for clarity and subtle alliteration. :fawk:

Regor

Double Edge FTW
Contributor
Reaction score
[action=Regor]for the record hates people who use big words to try and sound smart when plain English does just fine.[/action]

If you had a G-Force, you could setup the tremolo to allow the note played but then cut after X.X seconds. Would make playing songs like Buckethead's Jordan real easy.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Ooh, you're losing me there. I'm not sure "impose" is really the right word here, especially with regards to repertoire. As a verb, impose sort of demands an object - "impose on X" would be a traditional form. If you're looking to impose your wide-ranging vocabulary, an unusual buy metaphorically sound formulation, then you're sort of leaving it hanging when it comes to who or what is being imposed on.

I mean, I'm assuming that you meant something along the lines of "Always gratifying to impose some judicious lingual repertoire upon an internet community," but when you choose such heightened diction, I'm left feeling like I shouldn't HAVE to assume. ;)

Anyway, I think "Always gratifying to engage in some judicious linguistic gymnastics, eh?" takes the cake here, both for clarity and subtle alliteration. :fawk:

Not to sound like a dick, but Mr. Metahedron is improperly using "big words" (such as "miasma") to come off sounding smart when he actually just comes off sounding overblown and full of himself (just my honest opinion here). My personal philosophy is "use the most appropriate word." And this thread is full of incorrectly used "big" words and phrases. Such as, what the hell does "miasma" have to do with kill-switches? I don't buy the "metaphorical" or figurative meaning he claims. :D

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Nah, I think he's doing it to fuck with us a little bit, no doubt, and while some of his choices are a little left of center, most of them hold together reasonably well. This was just the first one that outright didn't cut it for me.

Off topic - have you ever read Twain's "James Fennimore Cooper's Literary Offences," Naren? There's a crack about how Cooper fails to "use the right word, and not its second cousin" in there, and if you're even passingly familiar with the Leatherstocking Tales it should be right up your ally, dude. :yesway:

Metahedron

((952)³ + (-951)³)
Reaction score
Please accept that I am merely 17 and have an extreme propensity toward ambiguity. I am a murky personality, and these responses are frequently what I receive when addressing matters publicly. I can only explain this sort of reception by presuming it to be an apparent tendency of humanity to define matters beyond abstraction(i.e. mathematics), and I am regularly incompatible with this sort of demand(i.e. language).
The statement issued to Drew wasn't quite a sentence to begin with, and I don't feel it worthwhile to have concern about its perplexing and supefluous qualities(that was very much the intention.)
...and I assure you, I do not have anything to prove to an internet community(indeed the subject of the statement).
If anything I state is perceived as improper use; I am more than willing to accept the error when it may be so addressed.

My honest opinion of the matter is that you are all wanking bitterly for the sake of instant gratification(Figurative[devoid of clarity]).

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
While I am impressed by your ability to use a large amount of fairly standard large words in a sentence, I wonder why you choose to do this. You could very easily get your point across in something resembling the normal spoken form of the English language, which is typically regarded as more understandable and less pretentious.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
You know, my dad has a saying. "E., my boy, it's all about E."

Ok, so he doesn't actually say "my boy." That's besides the point.

Anyway, dude, again your word choices here are, well, tenuous at best. "Ambiguity" isn't appropriate, as you're not merely being unspecific - you're being inaccurate. Talking about the difference between abstraction and mathematics is also a little, well, odd for anyone who's ever taken anything at the calculus or above level, and especially inappropriate for a discussion board - I think "vague" is way more appropriate than "abstract" as the later hangs together well enough but isn't grounded in concrete detail, where the former is sort of akin to taking a shotgun to a bee's nest at 50 paces, which actually come to think of it isn't a half-bad metaphor for your prose style. And I have absolutely no idea what you're trying to say by "wanking bitterly for the sake of instant gratification." Massaging our own egos, because we're bitter, to instantly feel better about ourselves? Jerking off as fast as we can while crying about the gross unfairness and cruelty of life?

Anyway, here's a suggestion - if you're looking for answers, why don't you try posing your questions in plain old prose. Common parlance, in your rather uncommon parlance, if you will. Consider that a friendly moderatorial suggestion. :wavey:

Oh, and E. = efficiency.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
dictionary_thesaurus.jpg
FTW? :scratch:

Seriously, although it might SEEM impressive using rather large words, there is no need to try to impress people by using them when you apparently do not fully understand the context in which they must be placed. Sure, I could sit here with a thesaurus and rattle off higher-than-usual vocabulary, but it's not really necessary to do so to convey your questions and/or answers on the forum. :yesway: Best word to describe what we have here (and you already posted it above, ironically enough...): superfluous. :agreed:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I could probably do it without, HighGain. I just learned in high school that people tended to like you WAY more if you talked like a normal human being to them. This realization, coupled with a growing fondness for Captian Morgan's, did wonderful things to my sex life. :D

Regor

Double Edge FTW
Contributor
Reaction score
Please accept that I am merely 17 and have an extreme propensity toward ambiguity. I am a murky personality, and these responses are frequently what I receive when addressing matters publicly. I can only explain this sort of reception by presuming it to be an apparent tendency of humanity to define matters beyond abstraction(i.e. mathematics), and I am regularly incompatible with this sort of demand(i.e. language).
The statement issued to Drew wasn't quite a sentence to begin with, and I don't feel it worthwhile to have concern about its perplexing and supefluous qualities(that was very much the intention.)
...and I assure you, I do not have anything to prove to an internet community(indeed the subject of the statement).
If anything I state is perceived as improper use; I am more than willing to accept the error when it may be so addressed.

My honest opinion of the matter is that you are all wanking bitterly for the sake of instant gratification(Figurative[devoid of clarity]).

Dude, seriously. No 17 y/o talks like this.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score

Seriously, the joke's really wearing thin.

If you want intelligent responses to your questions, then it would behove you to look up the meanings of a lot of the words you keep throwing around.
I've put off responding to this, but having just spent a couple of days wading through some academic articles written in the most mind-numbingly pretentious prose for the sake of a piece of coursework, I currently have very little patience for this sort of thing.

It wouldn't kill you to look up a little bit about grammar or sentence structure either...

OK, I've said my piece...

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Massaging our own egos, because we're bitter, to instantly feel better about ourselves? Jerking off as fast as we can while crying about the gross unfairness and cruelty of life?

:rofl: Ok, this is twice today, D. You're killin' me here. :D

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Off topic - have you ever read Twain's "James Fennimore Cooper's Literary Offences," Naren? There's a crack about how Cooper fails to "use the right word, and not its second cousin" in there, and if you're even passingly familiar with the Leatherstocking Tales it should be right up your ally, dude. :yesway:

Yes, I have. Mark Twain is one of my favorite old American authors. :D I have one book (that I left in the US) that was a collection of 4 of his novels and a bunch of his other writings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
')