Killswitch Engage

• Thread starter telecaster90
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Favorite Killswitch Engage singer?

• Jesse Leach (Self-titled, Aliveor Just Breathing

Votes: 16 45.7%
  • Howard Jones (End of Heartache, As Daylight Dies

Votes: 19 54.3%

• Total voters

telecaster90

Smokestack Lightning
Contributor
Reaction score
Check the poll:yesway:

I'm gonna have to go with Jesse. Their self titled and AOJB totally top their new material, in my opinion. Especially the new album.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just an aside: wasn't "When Darkness Falls" supposedly written about Howard Jones falling out of a hot air balloon or something?:lol:

As for the poll, Killswitch don't interest me in the slightest, but the ew guy's vocals really rub me the wrong way so I guess if I cared I'd vote for the first guy. Oh well.

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
I really like Howard Jones' vocals, and he was spot on when I saw them live. I like their newer sound, personally.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
Just an aside: wasn't "When Darkness Falls" supposedly written about Howard Jones falling out of a hot air balloon or something?:lol:

As for the poll, Killswitch don't interest me in the slightest, but the ew guy's vocals really rub me the wrong way so I guess if I cared I'd vote for the first guy. Oh well.

When I saw them live, Adam actually said that When Darkness Falls was about Howard running the Boston Marathon and getting tripped by a crafty South African white man.

I'm going to have to say Jesse is waaay better on average. "End of Heartache" was great, but their new one is terrible. Howard Jones can still really belt it out.

Regor

Double Edge FTW
Contributor
Reaction score
Howard.

I love the tone of black singers in metal bands. To sound totally cliche, they just have a soulful presence in their voice (See Lajon Witherspoon from Sevendust).

And I prefer where they're going now than the older stuff.

Hellraizer

Reaction score
I like Howard Jones, but I must say I like him better with Blood Has Been Shed. As for Killswitch I like there older stuff better.

Jysan

Banned
Reaction score
I think Howard's harsh vocals kill Jesse's...they are both pretty damn good with clean vocals as well, but Howard's are a bit more unique...bit more interesting to listen to. Both are great in their own respects, but I prefer Howard.

swedenuck

Strictly Business
Reaction score
To me, Howard is a better overall singer but he doesn't 'feel' the material in the same way Jesse did. His passion really came through with the music and for that reason I will always prefer Jesse to Howard.

Bartok

Reaction score
When I saw them live, Adam actually said that When Darkness Falls was about Howard running the Boston Marathon and getting tripped by a crafty South African white man.

:yesway: Like it :)
I'm not a fan either though:noway:

the.godfather

Mr. Flibble
Reaction score
Jesse was very good, but didnt stay around long around for me to judge him properly. Now, I can't imagine Killswitch Engage without Howard. His voice with their stuff just fits.

So I went with Howard. :yesway:

Prometheus

Oh no, no you don't!
Reaction score
I pick Howard. Some people can't stand his voice. I, for one, think he's awesome. There's just a unique vibe to his vocals that Jesse didn't have, can't think of anyone else that sounds remotely like him. Both vocalists are technically excellent, but I just dig Howard more. Screams and clean, I reckon he kills!

Killswitch :hbang: always liked 'em, one of the bands that got me into heavy music, so as long as they keep on making kickass tunes, I'll support 'em :metal:

Lozek

Desk Magnetic
Contributor
Reaction score
Don't think I can pick either way, Jesse has more passion and was better over a larger range of styles, but Howard just has that amazing chest voice that is pretty unique in metal.

Roundhouse_Kick

Reaction score
Nothing against jesse, but howard has a unique sounding voice that as others have said just fits so well with the new stuff. Plus he's massive.
:flex:
It seems like most people either love him or hate him. Opinions seem to get as fiercely divided as a new DT release haha. Personally I just love the whole sound of Killswitch these days, 'as daylight dies' has been my favourite album of the last year.

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
Its a tough call. Despite statements to the contrary, the music really did change when Howard came in. Not necessarily for the worse - the new stuff is awesome, but the writing style changed. I mean, tell me one song that compares to Just Barely Breathing or Rise Inside - they simply don't write stuff like that any more.

I'm going with Jesse simply because i 'prefer' the older stuff and his voice is without a doubt the BEST metal voic ever.

But Howard rules too, just in different ways. He sings more and perhaps gave Killswitch there more 'swedish' sound whereas before it was a kind of amalgum of Scandiwegian metal with more american elements.

Cool thread though. :yesway:

skinhead

Manager / RHLC ©
Reaction score
Howard Johnson.

I listened a little bit of KSE, but i preffer howard, his tone it's really nice.

Reaction score
I voted Howard. However, the songwriting was much better with Jesse in the band, and the choruses were grander. I like Killswitch best when they're playing pre-TEOH stuff live with Howard on vocals. :metal:

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Jesse by far. He had so much more energy and soul. Every time I've seen KSE with Howard, he's been out of tune and out of breath the whole set.

')