Killswitch Engage's new album "Disarm the Descent" due out April 2nd, single Feb 5th

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kevdes93

Sassy
Reaction score
upon further listens, i think that the times of grace record was better by leaps and bounds. this is definitely a killswitch record, but it just feels like more of the same riff salad metalcore

Fat-Elf

Banned
Reaction score
Over 160 listens behind and just like I estimated, this album just keeps getting better and better. For example, I didn't like "The Hell In Me" at all the first time I heard it but now it's probably my top 3 songs of the album. The ultimate question is how well this album ages. I still listen to the older albums every now and then so I wonder will I do the same with this.

Soilwork's new album was pretty good but having over 20 tracks it had many fillers. This album is pure gold from front to back so I can say pretty surely that this is the best album of the year for me.

Jemp

Reaction score
Damn, pre-ordered it, but still didn't arrive.....can't wait anymore D:

Kiwimetal101

'Tread Lightly'
Reaction score
Im glad jesse is back, I couldn't handle Howard's vocals... never knew why :shrug:

EDIT: Im actually in love with this album, I felt like they were slowly fading away with howard which was sad considering how influential they were. Insane amount of new life has been flung back into the band.

Fat-Elf

Banned
Reaction score

I mean individual songs, not the whole album. :lol:

Edit: (un)Fun fact, I just counted that I have listened 1992 songs off of Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory, therefore 1992/12 = 166 :D

exo

Reaction score
AOJB was one of "those" albums for me, still remember the first time I head it just a month or so after it dropped. I'd JUST discovered OLD In Flames, Arch Enemy, and melodic deathmetal was starting to sink it's claws in, but the bands I knew were Euro bands. the local independant record store had the album in a listening station, and it just made a TREMENDOUS impact on me from a musical standpoint. So much like the Gothenburg stuff I loved, but with a uniquely American stamp on it. you just DIDN'T have this sort of stuff coming out in the US at the time, and the bands that DID do this stuff just didn't get the type of coverage that their older, euro counterparts did. One of the few times I've been genuinely horribly disappointed about a member change was when Jesse left just days after I'd discovered the band :/ I've LIKED all the howard era stuff, and he was a more than able replacement....but it just paled in comparison to AOJB for me. All the same, I was filled with trepidation at the thought of Jesse coming back. I wasn't overly impressed with Times of Grace, for some reason, and I wasn't sure if he'd be able to live up to the standards he set on AOJB.......It's just THAT seminal of a disc for me, personally.

All that to say: I've avoided every stream, leak, and advance track that's come off this, and bought it blind, just based on my feelings towards his last effort with the band........i'm listening to it for the first time as I write this.....

I'm not sure there's a word to describe how big the grin on my face is right now :D

amogtr

Reaction score
upon further listens, i think that the times of grace record was better by leaps and bounds. this is definitely a killswitch record, but it just feels like more of the same riff salad metalcore

This is sort of how I feel. On the first listen I was really into it, but now I find myself skipping around to just the songs I like. The Times of Grace album I pretty much listen straight through.

Otaru

Reaction score
Great album. So much better than the self titled IMHO.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
Haven't had the chance to buy it yet, but I listened to the stream last weekend over and over and over....

I fucking love it!

Exactly what I was hoping for....my only wish is that there were a slower tune, like an "Element Of One" kinda tune, but it doesn't make the album any less good for me.

I made a comment before about how I thought the Times Of Grace cd was supposed to be a new KsE record but because of the issues with Howard and maybe contractual reasons, it was easier to release under a different name. (I know what Adam said about it in interviews....) But listening to Disarm the Descent, it's a different band altogether.

There's obviously going to be a lot of similarities, but the feel is very different. These songs are a lot harder hitting than the ToG stuff.

I hope they continue with ToG in the future as that's such a killer album and I'm fucking stoked as all hell KsE has some new life in them. No watered down stuff here....just rippin' riffs and blasting drums, right from the fucking start!

Sdrizis89

Reaction score
I love this fucking album...cant shut it off. I started listening to killswitch during the howard-era and after hearing the ToG ablum i always wondered what they would sound like if jesse came back. Well, he fucking rips this album apart. Howard has a great voice but i prefer Jesse so much more. Guitar riffs are pretty awesome and aggressive. Plus, theres some guitar solos on there...we all love guitar solos, dont we? lol This album is becoming one of my favorites from killswitch and easily my favorite of this year. Hoping Trivium puts out an amazing album as well...im sure they will.

skisgaar

Master-debatur
Reaction score
I like it, just not as much as the other albums. Bearing in mind that it took me a few listens to get into the previous album, and now it's my 2nd favourite, maybe this will take me a few listens to begin to like more. It's a very natural progression for Jesse rejoining the band though. It sounds like a mix between AOJB and some of the more recent material, and it sounds like Jesse only left for about a year!

Pretty solid stuff overall.

Reaction score
I like it so far, the start of the song "All We Have" reminded me a lot of the start of Aborted "Ophiolatry".

Check it:

I love the song though, and have been messing with a solo for the chorus. This album is faster than I thought it would be for Killswitch.

linchpin

Specter
Reaction score
"A tribute to the fallen" is an absolute cracker to sing along to... even though the lyrics doesn't resonate with me in any way but neither does Rammstein songs as I don't speak German :p

')