Killswitch Engage's new album "Disarm the Descent" due out April 2nd, single Feb 5th

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Nah, it's cool, I mean it's just your opinion right? I'm just a little bummed that no one else appears to see the beauty I saw in the last 2 is all :)

Given im in the minority of people that like emgs, tuneomatics, floyd roses, and schecter necks here, I know how you feel. :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Riffer

No Title
Reaction score
That first riff has a strong God Foribd feel to it for me. Loving the track. I prefer this guitar tone over the last 2 albums tones. The clean vocals are very nice as well. All in all it should be a great album.

nsimonsen

Reaction score
The production is huge! Guitar tone is killer.
The chorus is super poppy but in the best way, really energetic and uplifting.

As much as I love Howard's work with KSE, I am incredibly happy to see Jesse back in the band.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
Most boring song titles I've seen in my life. Damn you Metalcore.

Tone is great, but KsE reached their peak years ago.

Reaction score
Anyone else curious to hear how Jesse Leach's vocals would fit in with killswitch's sound after so many years away??

Not that their sound has changed MUCH since Alive or Just Breathing.

Personally I don't find Jesses vocal style to be too different from Howards.

Probably what made Howard the best fit over the past few years - Definitely one of the things I liked about KSE. They were always KSE, whether it be Jesse or Howard behind the mic.

I Voyager

Reaction score
I know everyone has an opinion, and they have a right to it....but seriously? Their last 2 albums were their best IMO. I don't know, maybe I'm in a serious minority, but did no one else find anything they liked/loved from either of the last 2 records with Howard?

Daylight Dies is cool, but self-titled numba 2?

Aww hell nah

sol niger 333

I like stuff
Reaction score
Same reason I don't like Soilwork anymore. The songs do EXACTLY the same thing every time.

At least change the vocal phrasing a TINY bit for the second verse or something. Great guitar sound and I much prefer Jesse to Howard
( I think Howard had a "faux emotional vibrato" button that was left on too often along with the auto-tune ) but as a band with an already massive following
I would have hoped for more of a statement than another song we've all heard before full of ideas we have also all heard before..

Still holding out hope for the album but I feel that this sounds like a christian band and it makes me feel a bit uneasy.

Clean as fuck tracking though, enjoyably upbeat (albeit slightly cheesy) chorus hook and great tone/solid production. The rest is forgettable IMO.

sol niger 333

I like stuff
Reaction score
An example of changing it up structurally but keeping it memorable is this

Even though the vocal hook hits at 0:32 and 1:32 the same, he changes up the lyric and the idea is presented coming out of different sections. Just small changes that make the music less stale and also make repeated listening more rewarding.

I guess kids these days don't care how the ideas are presented as long as they have a hifi mix, a chorus hook and good tone. Djent has been somewhat responsible I guess.

Maybe I'm an old fogey but there is only so far a great mix, tight playing and a hook will take me.

skisgaar

Master-debatur
Reaction score
Didn't mean that killswitch was a djent band

Funny you mention that. When Djent kids say that metalcore is bad, I always reference a bunch of songs from AOJB that use that same palm muted, stacked power chord, just to shut them up.

Again, not saying they are. They're clearly metalcore, but they have recorded music which used that "Djent" chord/sound/palm mute before bulb did on record.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
I think Jesse said he thinks 'In Due Time' was his least favorite track on the album, and that it was the single because it already leaked/been played live.
So hoping for better stuff from the rest of the album. That said, I did quite enjoy 'In Due Time'.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
I haven't kept up much with these guys since The End of Heartache but I'm really digging this. I'll have to pick this up when its out.

sol niger 333

I like stuff
Reaction score
I think Jesse said he thinks 'In Due Time' was his least favorite track on the album, and that it was the single because it already leaked/been played live.
So hoping for better stuff from the rest of the album. That said, I did quite enjoy 'In Due Time'.

Good news. Interest restored somewhat :hbang:

TasmanSam

Reaction score

I thought he said that about the previously leaked song "no end in sight"

I could be wrong though.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
you're not really going to get anything new from KSE, but this song sounds like they've restored some of the energy of their earlier albums, after a couple albums that sounded like they were just going through the motions.

regardless, they deserve respect for kick starting the whole movement, and the fact I can't stand metalcore is not their fault, it's the fault of the thousands of lesser bands that bite their sound.

Alive or Just Breathing was a game changed any way you look at it.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
')