Killswitch Engage's new album "Disarm the Descent" due out April 2nd, single Feb 5th

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lemeker

SS.org Slacker
Reaction score
Like I said in the "falling off hard thread".....I'm stoked for this hoping its a return to a style similar to Alive.

It's not that the last couple were bad, I just don't think they had that "something" the first few cd's did.

Based off of the leaked single, I'm pretty sure its going to kill. It now makes me really impatient too, because I have not seen KSE with Jessie at the helm. They had recently gotten Howard when I saw them for the first time with In Flames.

lemeker

SS.org Slacker
Reaction score
According to Adam D, he said the rest of the album is heavier than the leaked single... :D

I hope so. I remember reading somewhere it's supposed to be a bit faster/thashier (is this even a word?) as well. The songs just being more up tempo than some of the previous stuff.

I'm still asking the same question High Gain is.....Is it April yet?

GatherTheArsenal

SF2 > Everything
Reaction score
Anyone else curious to hear how Jesse Leach's vocals would fit in with killswitch's sound after so many years away??

Not that their sound has changed MUCH since Alive or Just Breathing.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
Anyone else curious to hear how Jesse Leach's vocals would fit in with killswitch's sound after so many years away??

Not that their sound has changed MUCH since Alive or Just Breathing.

Killswitch Engage - Live Rock am Ring 2012 Full Concert - YouTube

He pulled Howard's parts off just fine over the summer!

I suspect they'll probably be going back to that more aggressive approach. I didn't even buy the last 2 KsE albums because they seemed so watered down, I'm praying that watered down version will be done with.

And also, I think the Times Of Grace record most likely would have been a KsE album had the band not been dealing with whatever was going on with Howard. If they follow the vein of that album, I'll be stoked because that was a KILLER disc.

Jesse can't do much wrong in my eyes, the couple Seamless tunes I heard were great as well.

skisgaar

Master-debatur
Reaction score
I didn't even buy the last 2 KsE albums because they seemed so watered down, I'm praying that watered down version will be done with.

Seriously? Go back. Listen to ADLD and S/T again. And again, and again. I know it's your opinion, but fuck. Those albums were incredible, HOW COULD YOU NTO LIKE THEM?
HOW?

I mean no insult to you or your opinion. I get the S/T being watered down, I thought so too at first, but I've grown into it, and it's my 2nd favourite KsE album, with ADLD being my favourite. But how was ADLD watered down?

Mayhew

Reaction score
Adam D wrote the Times of Grace album in his head while laid up in a hospital bed after his back surgery I believe. I don't think it was ever meant for KSE as far as I know.

I saw KSE with Jesse this summer at Heavy MTL and they were great. I got into them in the Howard Jones era and was bummed when he left but after hearing Times of Grace and seeing Jesse sing Howard's stuff live I'm pumped for the new record.

nsimonsen

Reaction score
After seeing Times of Grace a heap of times last year when out on the Soundwave tour, I'm really excited to hear him back with KSE.

That said, Howard's work with KSE will always be my favourite. Dude is untouchable, easily one of the most versatile vocalists within the genre. Such a presence live as well.

GatherTheArsenal

SF2 > Everything
Reaction score
Killswitch Engage - Live Rock am Ring 2012 Full Concert - YouTube

He pulled Howard's parts off just fine over the summer!

I suspect they'll probably be going back to that more aggressive approach. I didn't even buy the last 2 KsE albums because they seemed so watered down, I'm praying that watered down version will be done with.

And also, I think the Times Of Grace record most likely would have been a KsE album had the band not been dealing with whatever was going on with Howard. If they follow the vein of that album, I'll be stoked because that was a KILLER disc.

Jesse can't do much wrong in my eyes, the couple Seamless tunes I heard were great as well.

Ya i didn't buy anything past End of Heartache, that's their magnum opus, but there were a few songs on those last two albums that were pretty good though.

After watching that Rock am Ring concert i actually really disagree that he pulls if off with no problem... he's not even close to Howard's caliber in my opinion. It's all good though to each his own, there'll always be two camps about this i guess but it's not about the comparison :shrug: they're both great and Jesse always sounds good on studio albums so i'm not worried there, it's more so his live performance that i don't dig.

Check out this set here is from the (Set This) World Ablaze DVD. Hard to beat that performance IMO.

Howard nails Jesse's parts from Alive of Just Breathing (doing so live) and makes that shit look easy, especially on Element of One. I still own and cherish this DVD, his vocals made me sink in my seat because i was so floored at his range and accuracy. That mofo seriously knows how to hold a note lol.

On a sidenote, am i the only one who just noticed that KSE play Laney amps?? :squint:

Anyway they came to Vancouver at the tail-end of 2004 w/ Unearth and Slipknot, hands down my favorite concert to date for so many reasons, including Howard's live vocals and my 1st exposure to 7-string guitars. :holy:

That said, Howard's work with KSE will always be my favourite. Dude is untouchable, easily one of the most versatile vocalists within the genre. Such a presence live as well.

^Agreed! i hope his health gets better and he comes back to singing ASAP! Fuck diabetes! :fawk:

DarkNe0

Reaction score
Alive or Just Breathing was the best KSE album. Everything after that became softer. Ironic because Howard didn't to join KSE in the first place because they were too soft. If this album is like the first one, then I'll be pleased. Songs like Numbered Days, Fixation On The Darkness and My Last Serenade can never be beaten in their genre.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
My bad, for some reason I thought there were 2 albums after As Daylight Dies. I actually really dig Daylight, but stuff like "My Curse" is where they started doing what I'd consider the 'watered down' version of KsE.

And I also highly agree that Howard is a fuckin' phenomenal vocalist. On a technique level, he's definitely a few notches above Jesse (which Jesse actually says on the World Ablaze DVD). Love Howard's voice and everything about him, I just love Jesse's rawer sound more. Jesse has a bit more inflections and different aspects of his voice that seems to bring out more emotion to me.

That's not to say one sings with ore emotion than the other, just means I connect with Jesse's vocals more. I think I associate Howard with the band lightening up and moving away from the sound/feel of the first 2 records.

I've watched that DVD probably 2,000! In 04-06 KsE, LoG, Mudvayne and In Flames were the only bands I was listening to.

Saw Kse 4-5x with Howard and he was spot on all the time, but I'm pretty sure there was some pitch correction smoothing things out live. There's definitely a lot of it on the records, (why does Adam auto-tune nearly all his own vocals?!?), hoping there's none of that with Jesse.

oddcam

Reaction score
but I'm pretty sure there was some pitch correction smoothing things out live..
There was on the live DVD, but not at normal shows. Howard is great, but not pitch-perfect with every note - he's only human.

why does Adam auto-tune nearly all his own vocals?!?, hoping there's none of that with Jesse
Some auto-tune is standard on almost ALL recordings nowadays. And have you heard Times of Grace? Loads of it there. Go check some youtube videos of Jesse singing live, and you might change your mind.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
There was on the live DVD, but not at normal shows. Howard is great, but not pitch-perfect with every note - he's only human.

Some auto-tune is standard on almost ALL recordings nowadays. And have you heard Times of Grace? Loads of it there. Go check some youtube videos of Jesse singing live, and you might change your mind.

There was definitely some pitch correction live the last time I saw them at Rock The Ink in Providence, RI a few years ago. I remember hearing it quit a bit in "Arms Of Sorrow".

And I'd take a dude giving his all and hitting some sour notes over that terrible sound of pitch correction/auto-tune. I can't fucking stand it.

j0eyaces

Reaction score
I have seen KSE live with both Jesse and Howard. (I was at their first show with In Flames). I also saw Jesse in Seemless live a few times, also have seen Howard live in Blood Has Been Shed (not much singing but still)

Both are good a what they do. I honestly can't pick one over the other because self title and alive or just breathing were amazing.. Everything that Howard did with the band was amazing too. I prefer Howard in BHBS just because he has a powerful voice effect on the crowd. He seemed to look more natural in bhbs. kse seemed like it was fun for him but not 100% what he wanted to do.. that's just my opinion

I have no doubt that the new kse will be sick!

Peace

:shred:

jehu12141987

Reaction score
Is it bad that I still miss Howard's "Come On/Are you ready?" while doing a white boy jump revealing his crack?

Hawkevil

Toast Wiper
Reaction score
Can't wait for it!!

I can't believe it will have been 4 years between releases.

I liked the self titled album at first and done a few youtube covers but it definitely got old fast.

')