King's X - Dogman

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
= :yesway:

I've been listening to this album nonstop for a week now since I picked up a new fresh copy (i've been replacing all my scratched cds with new ones. :D).

I've always been a fan of this album, it is actually what got me into them back when it came out. Gretchen Goes To Nebraska is also a good one but this album, Dogman, just dominates. It is thier heaviest album IMO. I love Ty Tabor's guitar tone and Doug Pinnick has an awesome tone too. I really like Gerry Gaskill's drum sound as well. I highly recommend anyone who hasn't checked out King's X TO GO OUT AND BUY THIS ALBUM. :agreed:

744_11_16_2006_3_37_33_dogman.jpg

artistID_51_albumID_394.jpeg

kingsdog2.jpg

kingsx-dogman.jpg

There are 4 versions of this cd, I have 2 green ones now. :hbang:

p00846r776p.jpg

A vid of them doing Dogman at Woodstock. :yesway:

YouTube - King's X Dogman Live From Woodstock

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
YouTube - King's X Dogman
looks like they caught Tabor on laundry day :lol:

i remember really liking these guys when i saw them live a few years ago. i should definitely have some of their material by now.

IBZ Addict

Reaction score
Yes....Great album indeed. I was so into this album when it came out that I covered "Dogman" for a recording project in college, lol. That and the original swing version of Dream Theater's "Under A Glass Moon" that they ended up using as tour outro music. Guess my 15 minutes of fame are over, hahaha.

Leon

Contributor
Reaction score
damn, i need to get online more :lol:

yeah, they were on tour with Fishbone, and visited Bogart's in Cincinnati. the pairing is pretty weird, to say the least. i'd never seen or heard much of either band before, but clearly when the show was over, they should have had separate nights :lol:. Fishbone went on first, and simply danced all the energy out of the place. when King's X came out, i think 90% of us were so wiped out from Fishbone that we were only able to stand there and listen.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
damn, i need to get online more :lol:

yeah, they were on tour with Fishbone, and visited Bogart's in Cincinnati. the pairing is pretty weird, to say the least. i'd never seen or heard much of either band before, but clearly when the show was over, they should have had separate nights :lol:. Fishbone went on first, and simply danced all the energy out of the place. when King's X came out, i think 90% of us were so wiped out from Fishbone that we were only able to stand there and listen.

With Fishbone? Awesome! :D

I like Fishbone actually, well, I used to listen to them alot but it's been a while since I listened to them.

A friend of mine saw King's X in New Hampshire at a small club and he even got to meet them. I forget the band they played with, I think they were a local band from the NH area. :hbang:

IBZ Addict

Reaction score
They are a very personable band. I remember the last time I saw them (back in 1994), we saw Jerry Gaskill in the street while eating dinner before the show. We called out to him and he hung out a lil bit.

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
They've played here a couple times recently and I missed 'em every time :(

Though I've only heard a couple songs by them, I'd love to see them live, if only because of all the excellent reviews you guys have given them.

Donnie

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Weird. I've been listening to this album pretty much non-stop all week too. :D
Dogman is the album that really got me into them. I always liked their earlier stuff but Dogman just kicked it up a notch. :metal:

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Weird. I've been listening to this album pretty much non-stop all week too. :D
:lol: Nice! :D

I'm going to buy another fresh copy of Gretchen Goes To Nebraska this week too. Yeah, man, I think Dogman is their best work. It just sounds amazing, for 1994 even. :agreed:

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I picked this up not too long ago, thanks to the last Kings X thread posted here, heh. I grabbed Ogre Tones too, both are pretty cool. The vocals are a bit iffy at times, but I can deal with it.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I picked this up not too long ago, thanks to the last Kings X thread posted here, heh. I grabbed Ogre Tones too, both are pretty cool. The vocals are a bit iffy at times, but I can deal with it.

Must've been the thread I started, I think this is thread # 3 for me on King's X. :lol:

That's cool that you picked it up. I've been meaningto pick Ogre Tones too, maybe this weekend. :agreed:

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, you've posted a ton of Suffocation threads too, but I'm not complaining:lol:

Are there any differences between the different-coloured versions of Dogman or is it just the artwork? I'm a completist so stuff like that is handy to know.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score

My old band opened that show when they came through town. :D

I got so absolutely...well, you know...on Fishbone's tour bus. Then Doug and Ty cornered me. :lol:

Nomad

Reaction score
Cool.

When I got my seven string first song I learned was Black The Sky. I also learned Pillow. From learning their tunes, I think they tune to Drop D a lot of the time, but I learned to play it on std. 7 string. Man, I just wish I could learn the solos note for note. For now, I just stick with the rhythm parts.

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
Oh how I love King's X. :D

Dogman is a great CD. It's odd they never got that famous. Their music never really was pushed like it should have been. But seldom when I'm listening to King's X does anyone not like them.

This just goes to prove my theory that record company execs are douche bags.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
When I got my seven string first song I learned was Black The Sky. I also learned Pillow. From learning their tunes, I think they tune to Drop D a lot of the time, but I learned to play it on std. 7 string. Man, I just wish I could learn the solos note for note. For now, I just stick with the rhythm parts.

Yep. Practically everything they do is in drop-D, and the fingering is never what you would expect. Ty grew up playing bluegrass and Beatles songs, so he uses all these odd partial chords that make sense to him and no one else. Every time I've watched them live, I've realized I'm playing all the songs wrong. :lol:

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yeah but if you notice, alot of their songs are tuned down to B, maybe it's my ears but anyhow, they have a heavy sound on Dogman, it kicks so much ass. :hbang:

Leon

Contributor
Reaction score
My old band opened that show when they came through town. :D

I got so absolutely...well, you know...on Fishbone's tour bus. Then Doug and Ty cornered me. :lol:

i hate to ask, but i will... what happened in the corner? :lol:

')