Kirk Hammett Appreciation Thread

• Thread starter kamisama
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kamisama

Frenzied Downpicker
Reaction score
James is always getting the credit for the riffs, but let's not forget Kirk Hammett is also a force to be reckoned with - he even formed Exodus, can't forget. I'll post some of his best riffs, whether unknown or not.

First is the Enter Sandman riff. Most of the general population would assume the lead guitarist always writes the material - which is not the case for Metallica or many other bands - however, this is one of those times where the public perception is correct.

Damage, Inc bridge riff. Not a lot of people know he wrote this one, but yes, it's a Kirk riff. All the hardcore fans screaming this as secretly the best riff while praising James for it yet simultaneously trashing Kirk is kinda sad.

Battery bridge riff.

Master of Puppets pre-chorus riff

Disposable Heroes pre-chorus

Trapped Under Ice verse riff

https://youtu.be/fwDftMCOMZE?t=31

Creeping Death die riff

https://youtu.be/xAOMEqMXiXI?t=217

Feel free to post any others from any era, I just chose the ones I knew. Of course this isn't just a riff thread, talk about your favorite solos or guitar designs too.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tedtan

Reaction score
The early albums show Kirk kind of flailing around, but he was a damn good guitarist circa the Puppets and Justice albums. Somewhere along way he lost interest in that style of playing and settled into a style trying to fit into the 90s era. I’m not sure of that was how he was evolving as a player or if it was a decision to sell more albums, but it doesn’t really matter either way. Then he seems to have lost interest and gotten sloppy. He was never the cleanest, most precise player, but he’s no longer what he once was from a technical perspective.

But we shouldn’t forget the Puppets and Justice albums and what Kirk contributed to them as a lead player.

kamisama

Frenzied Downpicker
Reaction score
The early albums show Kirk kind of flailing around, but he was a damn good guitarist circa the Puppets and Justice albums. Somewhere along way he lost interest in that style of playing and settled into a style trying to fit into the 90s era. I’m not sure of that was how he was evolving as a player or if it was a decision to sell more albums, but it doesn’t really matter either way. Then he seems to have lost interest and gotten sloppy. He was never the cleanest, most precise player, but he’s no longer what he once was from a technical perspective.

But we shouldn’t forget the Puppets and Justice albums and what Kirk contributed to them as a lead player.
I think it's just what sounds he likes. His style has always been along the lines of minor pentatonic, with some weird flair every now and then, like the Frayed Ends solo. Artists like Peter Green and Michael Schenker are his favorites. Same for the wah pedal, he's used that even in the Puppets live era.

It's all an aesthetic choice, he chooses what sounds he likes - even if fans are annoyed by wah abuse and minor pentatonic, Kirk loves them, so he'll continue using them. He was really tapping into his blues inspirations during the Load/Reload era. It limits his abilities, but I don't think he cares about implementing sounds outside of what he's into anyway, so there's no reason for him to become a virtuoso in the first place. Dude just wants to jam out, and stays true to his tastes, I can respect that.

Last edited:

tedtan

Reaction score
Yeah, I’m not knocking him for his 90s style, I just wonder where it came from.

There was an obvious choice made to simplify thier music so it would be more commercial starting with the black album, which is when they first began working with Bob Rock as a producer. So my question is whether that 90s soloing style was Kirk alone, or if Bob (and maybe Lars and James) wanted him to change things up to fit the new commercial focus of the band.

kamisama

Frenzied Downpicker
Reaction score
Yeah, I’m not knocking him for his 90s style, I just wonder where it came from.

There was an obvious choice made to simplify thier music so it would be more commercial starting with the black album, which is when they first began working with Bob Rock as a producer. So my question is whether that 90s soloing style was Kirk alone, or if Bob (and maybe Lars and James) wanted him to change things up to fit the new commercial focus of the band.
It was probably Kirk going with what he felt was right for the songs. Bob Rock helped with the Unforgiven solo on TBA, but there's not a lot of discussion surrounding pushing Kirk into a direction other than that. James wasn't really into the Load/Reload stuff, it was more of a Lars and Kirk thing. Apparently it was a passion project of theirs, so again, I think that was the moment for Kirk to tap into blues influences more than usual

Zer01

Reaction score
I remember when I heard his riff tapes on the newest MOP release. I was amazed at how much of the song Master of Puppets was him. James played it his own way and made it heavier. Kirk played it more “wiggly” and melodic and it’s really interesting to hear.

mrvomit

Reaction score
Yeah lets apreciate what he did in some spots ( not what it does ) . ^^
Lol, one of the topics that divide and do inflame people even before the internet era , i still remember the word fights , from rehearsal rooms and beyond .
A "Classic" , glad to see it survives :duel:

Seriously . i'm the one that got pissed when i saw them live ( various times but sadly from early 90's where he began to mess up ) and he always screwing up . i mean , always , not once right in decades . That " i dont care " attitude i dont respect much , honestly, since is up there and definetely could do it .
At the same time i can't deny the stuff recorded like "One " solos which i liked to hear so many times over and over without even knowing what a string was , and still sounds so good ( in record ) . _______
SBut since he would be able to do it and decide to " dont care " that thing is bit outrageous to give an "appreciation" , i mean i did never complain if a Nirvana show was blurry in notes .
When i was touring my respect for the crowd and people involved giving them my best , and if i did mistakes or shits sure was unwillingly not cause" i don't care , they will clap happy whatever"..
Lars simply cant do it live the same for physical reasons i suppose , but at least it seems he does what he can ( only speaking about lives)

And some riff like enter sandman ok , super nice but it's always vocal line the prince at the end of story , in that very case i know it well cause a local band did the very same riff years before for pure chance ,just the singing line was different and sounded shitty ( same vocal line as arpeggio , rendering the all thing hilarious) .
Actually is the first time i know /read Unforgiven solo was also Bob Rock there ,so that's the reason it popped out so nicely when i heard it , lol.
____
ps:OT :Jason Newsted would deserve many times over appreciation he does not get ,more than topic one i.m.o... He did so awesome work in choosing the riffs and the notes that underlined stuff perfectly both in punch and harmony , letting no aside he did good vocal backup lines even live .

Last edited:

Blytheryn

Musical Adam West
Reaction score
I remember asking this kid in high school who was shit hot at leads how to learn to shred. He told me to take any Metallica solo, slow it down, and just take it from there.

I owe my lead chops to Alexi Laiho and Kirk Hammett. People talk about James Hetfield, but I vastly prefer Kirk’s playing and guitars.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
Kirk and James were both MASSIVE in terms of influence as I picked up electric guitar. I still think often think about my own solos in the context of those Kirk solos that you sing when at a concert.

This is my thought process here too. I loved Metallica growing up and one of my biggest draws to them were the solos. Sure, lots of other bands had iconic, memorable solos, but Metallica had tons of them.

People will give Kirk shit all day about his playing (and a decent amount of it might be justified) but the fact still stands that the dude has more iconic solos than you can count on all of your digits. People know those solos well enough that they can hum along to them. Even Iron Maiden for as much melody as they have in their songs I can't really say have as many memorable solos. They have a lot of them, but as many as Metallica? No, and I don't think it's close. I don't know who else comes close either to be honest.

Here's just what I can list from the top of my head right now without looking at a list of their music - Fight Fire with Fire, For Whom The Bell Tolls, Fade to Black, Creeping Death, Battery, Puppets... Might as well just say that whole album aside from maybe The Thing That Should Not Be. Among the first 4 or 5 albums there are multiple songs like that.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Kirk still downpicks everything the same way Hetfield does, which is still more than plenty of metal players can do. I found his Justice and Black leads the best. Justice being the darkest and outside of pantatonics safety.

He was (and still is) an inspiration for a huge lot of emerging guitar players. It's mostly the veteran players who talk shit about him (even if he was an inspiration for them once).

Giest

Never a tune you can dance to.
Reaction score
As long as this thread ain't about appreciating Lars I can dig it.

Hammett comes off as a super friendly dude. He also has how many platinum albums at this point? Probably near a dozen. Would love to know how many platinum albums people who trash him have.

He wasn't the cleanest soloist, but neither are Vernon Reid or Duane Allman and I'd still crawl over broken glass to take lessons from any of them.

Kolaniak

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't understand people disliking or poking fun at Kirk's style. He is kind of like the Justin Bieber of metal guitar.

I actually like his playing a lot. When I was a teenager I thought he was the best guitar player out there. Now I think he is one of the best ever.

Great solos and note choice. Memorable melodies. The vibrato is not really masterful, but the bends are. I also like his tone.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Kirk still downpicks everything the same way Hetfield does, which is still more than plenty of metal players can do.
They do play stuff slower live and even James cheats on some of the downstrokes. It's pretty established now that the early metallica recordings were sped up, which explains why the tempos are all over the place when you put the songs in a DAW. (Tried it for a cover, song was accelerating or slowing for the whole duration)

I especially like the solos from Ride the lightning. What he did afterwards has some nice moments but nothing coming close. I think a part of his bad rep isn't the wah but the fact that he regularly blew up whole lines live, I mean, the Harverster of Sorrow solo in the Moscow concert is a disgrace. I've seen Metallica live quite a bit and he always was like that. As soon as it stops being shred and there's a sustained note, disaster happens.

TheBolivianSniper

Reaction score
My guitar professor always wants me to play less metal but he said there's 3 guys to listen to our the whole scene and to especially watch live: Alex Skolnick, Dave Davidson, and Kirk. He has so much respect for him and I can see why. His written out solos are insanely iconic, his riffs are great, and when he puts his mind to it his playing is a blend of artistry and accessibility.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
They do play stuff slower live and even James cheats on some of the downstrokes. It's pretty established now that the early metallica recordings were sped up, which explains why the tempos are all over the place when you put the songs in a DAW. (Tried it for a cover, song was accelerating or slowing for the whole duration)

I especially like the solos from Ride the lightning. What he did afterwards has some nice moments but nothing coming close. I think a part of his bad rep isn't the wah but the fact that he regularly blew up whole lines live, I mean, the Harverster of Sorrow solo in the Moscow concert is a disgrace. I've seen Metallica live quite a bit and he always was like that. As soon as it stops being shred and there's a sustained note, disaster happens.

This is Kirk's appreciation thread, not Kirk's hate thread. Feel free to start your own :lol:

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Kirk and James got me to pick up guitar. Cheers bros. Listening to Kill em All as a kid slowed down, ear tabbing stuff out really made me a lot better.

JSanta

Reaction score
I am not a Metallica fan, but Kirk's impact on modern metal cannot be understated. I think furthermore, he always appear to be a really good person, down to earth and appreciative of everything around him. I think the apparent lack of toxic ego is great. I probably appreciate that about him as much as I do his status as a guitar hero.

')