Kirk Hammett Appreciation Thread

• Thread starter kamisama
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

drgamble

Reaction score
I remember being a we lad, I heard "Fade to Black" and I was like WTF? I had never heard anything like that. It was probably around 1986 or somewhere thereabouts. Anyway, I remember getting the tab books and recording the rhythm parts to cassette on a boom box, and learning the solos over the backing tracks that I had recorded. This was my first foray into recording. I borrowed a friends 4 track years later and I could record rhythm tracks and harmonize leads. I learned so much about guitar playing from James and Kirk. I eventually learned the first four albums using tabs (even though they were wrong) and it helped me to learn how to start writing my own riffs, harmonies, and leads. I got mad respect as a guitar player back in that day because I could play "One" front to back and everyone just thought that I was an amazing guitar player because of it. Yes, Kirk Hammett got my teenage self laid more than a couple times because of my guitar prowess. Keep in mind, this was probably 10+ years before the internet was around. It was hard to find lessons back then and a lot of times, we had no idea how some of our guitar heroes got the sounds that they did.

In those days, the stuff that Kirk played was considered very technical. Years later, we got some of the Shrapnel Records guitar players that brought things up several notches, but compared to the music of the day, the parts that Kirk played were on another level. One thing that I figured out as a young guitar player was that live performances did not require the same kind of precision that a recording did. We tried to be the loudest and fastest. At the volumes that our live shows were, it was not readily apparent how accurate all of the parts were played. In modern days, live shows have become more about fidelity. Guitar players are generally more skilled because the keys to the Ferrari are readily available on YouTube. Back int he 80s and 90s, you had to pay money to learn the "advanced" techniques of guitar playing. Metronome practice was relegated to classical guitar/piano lessons. For the most part you could not hear a metronome over the stack of Marshalls that you played, so it just was not a thing.

Kirk was a godsend to my guitar playing and I probably would not have pursued guitar playing as much as I did without the influence. I understand where they are now. They actually predicted the current state of the music business years ago. I respect the fact that they record albums now just because they want to. Metallica has become such a force that they have actually created generational wealth from their music. For all of the haters, this cannot be said for a lot of the modern musicians. Metallica are lucky enough that their early work is popular enough that they can do what they want now. Anyway, I appreciate Kirk for his contributions to music and guitar playing. I know he gets a lot of flack now but I know that at one time he was at the top of the mountain. I wish I could say the same about myself but I'm just a regular Joe that had a band and ended up getting a regular job.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I’ve always liked Kirk. I don’t know that I could say anything that hasn’t already been said here. He was one of the key players I saw on MTV who first got me interested in guitar. Even before that, I think the 1989 Grammys show changed my life. Everyone remembers the Jethro Tull thing, but Metallica performing “One” with a massive global TV audience and killing it the way they did is what really mattered. I’d never heard music done with that combination of ferocity and precision. Kirk with that black Rhoads, playing a solo that surely had come straight from hell. My little thirteen-year-old brain thinking, “What is this, and can it please never stop?”

soul_lip_mike

Contributor
Reaction score
Apparently guitar center is blowing out the LTD Hammett sparkle V’s in store at 50% off ($900). If you live near a GC and want one you should try to grab one.

mehegama

Reaction score
Huge appreciation as the inspiration to pick up the guitar. However as I grew up, i figured out he is not the guitar idol i thought he was when i was starting, the contrary. He has not written a descent solo since 1991. Especially in the last album (which is a borefest anyways) he did not even try. The same 10 pentatonic licks since 1991. And that's a shame as there are really good stuff from him in Ride till the black album.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
He may not be my favorite guitarist, but you can play me 2 seconds of any solo from the first four albums and I could tell you what song it is. So something to be said how memorable his playing is.

Dekay82

I WANT the fret nibs
Reaction score
I like Kirk. He seems like a cool guy. What sets his playing apart for me is his solos feel a lot more “soulful” than most metal solos, which seem to focus on technical precision. I suppose it’s his pentatonic wankery.
I get that this opinion is totally subjective. Everybody’s free to disagree, just my two cents.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
I don't know how many countless people were inspired by Kirk. My highschool group of friends came together through our discoveries of Metallica. We worshipped these guys like gods. I think my first two guitars make it pretty obvious who my heroes were.
FB_IMG_1706702334446.jpg
FB_IMG_1706702353800.jpg

NexusMT

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Well he wrote some of the best Metal solos ever unfortunately In the last 10-15 years the best thing he put out was his solo album imo.

Here is some of his best solos that will be always remembered.

- Bleeding Me
- Fade to Black
- Unforgiven
- Sad but True
- Ride the Lightning
- Maste of Puppets
- One

Name a guitar player with such epic solos of his generation ?

mlp187

Burrito Master
Contributor
Reaction score
Kirk and Angus Young are the reason I play guitar, and Kirk is the reason behind my M-II. I will always remember his work on the first 5 albums fondly.

Blackened has the best Metallica solo of all time. There is no debate, only fighting to the death, and I am prepared to die.

soul_lip_mike

Contributor
Reaction score
Kirk and Dime were my guitar heroes growing up in the 90’s and 2000’s. It’s easy to compare Kirk to all the youtube robot virtuosos now but he was very much a guitar icon in his prime. It’s too bad his solos now are all kind of the same but he had some really memorable lead work on the Metallica albums RTL through Black Album.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
I don't condone the black album but Kirk was still doing some cool shreddy solos on it. I love his leads on The God That Failed.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
He even still had some memorable moments on load and reload. He just completely quit after Y2K.

Marked Man

Reaction score
Kirk's solos in the '80s were freakin' brilliant. But even then, the big crunch you hear on the albums is all Het.

Post '92, it was suddenly extremely unfashionable to play shreddy solos, or have long metal band hair. So Kirk pretended he had only first started playing guitar a month before recording their mid '90s and forward albums, and had only learned one scale and how to use the Wah. And Lars?? Lars genuinely appeared to have lost his ability to play. And then there was the whole Alt-Rock look with eye liner, hair gel, and cigars and a little mascara to go with the downgrade to the music. 💋 You lost me there, boys.

But his legacy from the '80s is what it is. I really dig his ESP Demonology guitar also and wouldn't mind having one, but it wouldn't be as a fan boi. It's just a very cool looking, high quality metal machine.

Last edited:

Marked Man

Reaction score
The early albums show Kirk kind of flailing around, but he was a damn good guitarist circa the Puppets and Justice albums. Somewhere along way he lost interest in that style of playing and settled into a style trying to fit into the 90s era. I’m not sure of that was how he was evolving as a player or if it was a decision to sell more albums, but it doesn’t really matter either way. Then he seems to have lost interest and gotten sloppy. He was never the cleanest, most precise player, but he’s no longer what he once was from a technical perspective.

But we shouldn’t forget the Puppets and Justice albums and what Kirk contributed to them as a lead player.

I remember when it suddenly became fashionable around '92 to hear metal players say "Yeah, I've been evolving and growing as a player, lately I've been listening to Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Water, Jazz this...Blues that...etc". The more obscure the reference, the more you impress the old men and hipsters and show how much more you are evolving than the kids (your fans).

I never bought that. I still loved metal as I do today and wasn't about to go backwards the way many did for years. Evolving backwards is not a goal for me. Expanding your universe is fine. But that's not what happened. That was right around the time I was discovering '70s King Crimson and young Dream Theater for the first time. I couldn't bring myself to buy flannel shirts. 😵‍💫

Edika

Reaction score
My exposure to metal was quite limited before Uni and more digital media became readily available. So whatever I could get my hands, I'd just listen on repeat and the Metallica and Megadeth albums were the ones I'd listen too mostly. I tried Slayer but at the time it sounded more like noise than music lol.
But for my younger self, Kirk was an awesome player!

He has some tasty and memorable solos bit one of my favorites is the one on The Shortest Straw! Quite unusual and different from his usual solos but fits the song perfectly! That was one of his main characteristics, memorable melodic solos that never seemed out of place with the song.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
I definitely wouldn't say he's the GOAT of GOATs like Eddie but from like 86-92 he was definitely one of the OG GOATs. He wasn't like revolutionary but he was good at writing solos that fit the songs. But if you look at all the old footage of his little improvised "solos" during the break at concerts, it's all just sloppy trashy aimless weedly weedly bullshit smothered in whammy bar and wah. He's never been good at improvisation with the only exception being the Bleeding Me solo which was done on the first take IIRC. His prewritten and properly composed solos from RtL to 1991 were good. Bob pushing him to just improvise was a mistake. Bob was just a big mistake altogether.

Marked Man

Reaction score
I definitely wouldn't say he's the GOAT of GOATs like Eddie but from like 86-92 he was definitely one of the OG GOATs. He wasn't like revolutionary but he was good at writing solos that fit the songs. But if you look at all the old footage of his little improvised "solos" during the break at concerts, it's all just sloppy trashy aimless weedly weedly bullshit smothered in whammy bar and wah. He's never been good at improvisation with the only exception being the Bleeding Me solo which was done on the first take IIRC. His prewritten and properly composed solos from RtL to 1991 were good. Bob pushing him to just improvise was a mistake. Bob was just a big mistake altogether.

Kirk himself was never near being a GOAT in any decade. When he started, in the Decade of Shred, he was at the professional level as you'd expect, but he got an added bonus for having some memorable compositions and also being in band that was rapidly becoming the GOAT of all Metal.

I do think Kirk was a better lead player for Metallica than Mr. Mustaine was in the '80s, as Kirk was more melodic and inventive. Dave in those days was a sloppy, angry drunk and later drug addict with a chip on his shoulder. But he used that to create other things.

Marked Man

Reaction score

It was also a mistake for Het and Lars to ease up on their totalitarian control of songwriting. Metallica's best came from those two and Cliff.

WolleK

Reaction score
I don't know how many countless people were inspired by Kirk. My highschool group of friends came together through our discoveries of Metallica. We worshipped these guys like gods. I think my first two guitars make it pretty obvious who my heroes were.
View attachment 137557View attachment 137558

Cool photo... my third guitar ever was a ESP KH3 (worked a whole summer for it)... well my second one was a Jackson Soloist Professional... these were the days.

Kirk is still my hero, even after the years i did not listen to them, i still can sing along his solos

')