KnightBrolaire's headless 8 string build

• Thread starter KnightBrolaire
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Iamatlas

Atlas
Reaction score
20v0rbc.jpg

In-progress shot of applying the polycrylic.

Probably should shape the neck before ya stain it dude, youre just gonna sand / carve all that colour back off anyhow!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
Probably should shape the neck before ya stain it dude, youre just gonna sand / carve all that colour back off anyhow!

it actually is shaped, it's just a bad pic I took late last night. I'll throw some better pics up later :/

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
had to get another fretboard, didn't like the way the maple turned out. Now using macassar ebony.
2rxwrwj.jpg

Probably shouldn't have done the finish until I route the cavities, oh well.
1yama0.jpg

Backsnack

Many strings
Reaction score
Awesome post! Definitely creative color combo for the stain.

Not sure if it's intentional but the body shape sort of reminds me of the In Flames logo. Was that intentional? :lol:

Subscribing to the thread. :yesway:

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
Awesome post! Definitely creative color combo for the stain.

Not sure if it's intentional but the body shape sort of reminds me of the In Flames logo. Was that intentional? :lol:

Subscribing to the thread. :yesway:

lol no, it was suppose to be based off a shark fin. I posted the inspiration thread at the top of this one. Basically I watched the Shallows, the end credits inspired the stain, and I started doodling guitars with shark fins. I was originally going to have binding or something to clearly delineate the fin from the rest of the body but realized it would kill the flow of the stain. Maybe for my next build though.

dankarghh

Reaction score
Top looks nice man! I think you will really regret your order of business when it comes to routing into that finished body though :S

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
288mply.jpg

practicing with the dremel some more. tentative idea is to do shark jaws like these and inlay turquoise.

Backsnack

Many strings
Reaction score
^ Did you practice on the actual fretboard or did you have extras? I really like this theme and design, never seen anything like it!

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
^ Did you practice on the actual fretboard or did you have extras? I really like this theme and design, never seen anything like it!
Thanks, glad you like it!
it was a scrap fretboard. I had some left over maple and wanted to see how hard it would be to engrave a design and then backfill it with colored woodfiller. Didn't really work out the way I wanted it to but it was good practice. I'll probably try a couple more times on scraps before I do it on the real fretboard for this guitar.

laxu

Reaction score
What kind of tool did you use on the Dremel?

Is your username a Dark Souls reference?

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
What kind of tool did you use on the Dremel?

Is your username a Dark Souls reference?

yup it's a Dark Souls reference :yesway:
I used an engraving bit. Works pretty well on maple and walnut, haven't tested it on other woods yet.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
no real progress on this one. school is taking up a lot of time and I keep getting distracted by other builds.
xlcynk.jpg

painted the sides black and redid the top, still haven't started the fretboard or decided if I should use the macassar ebony or not
pic quality is garbage but you get the idea.

EDIT: Just remeasured the neck width and it's not wide enough for an 8 string, I'd have to turn this into a 6 or 7 string and I really don't want to build one right now. The only way I can think to salvage this would be to lop off the neck and make it a bolt on, which I don't really want to do. :/ I'm kind of fixated on 8 strings so this body is gonna sit around for a while.
I do plan to make another one with slightly different specs so I'll keep adding it into this thread instead of making a new thread.

Backsnack

Many strings
Reaction score
Brolaire,

How long have you been building guitars? Is it a business for you or a hobby?

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
You can buy a router plate for a Dremel. You should do that to have more control (if you're not already).

Also, make a template for the frets and actually saw through it, rather than trying to draw them on the FB and then sawing that. You have to watch out for wonky frets, and that's the best way to get them all in line.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
You can buy a router plate for a Dremel. You should do that to have more control (if you're not already).

Also, make a template for the frets and actually saw through it, rather than trying to draw them on the FB and then sawing that. You have to watch out for wonky frets, and that's the best way to get them all in line.

I bought a router plate for the dremel a while ago, just haven't used it on a project yet.

I never drew a template on my fretboard, I taped one from fretfind and sawed through the template. The janky fretboard with the shark inlay was a scrap fretboard that I used to practice inlaying.

')