Knightro Guitars 2016

• Thread starter KnightroExpress
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Cool choice of woods! Looks very earthy. I like what I see, man! Will stay tuned! :D (Have been for a couple of days, but hadn't commented yet!)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Drinkwater

ERG/ERB Builder
Reaction score
Great looking guitars! If you find that you must angle the pups you can rotate your standard pickups quite a bit to accommodate the fan. My buddy Dean Murphy just became a dimarzio artist so he swapped out angled Lace Alumitones for Dimarzios in his SS7. Works like a charm.

KnightroExpress

Guitar Nerd
Vendor
Reaction score
Thank you both, and I appreciate the advice, Tom! I have a multiscale 8 in the works that'll have angled Alumitones.

KnightroExpress

Guitar Nerd
Vendor
Reaction score
Alright, I've finally gotten everything completely worked out for the headless 8. Check it:

This'll be a 26.5-28" 8 string featuring Mera hardware. I'm going to get this beast rolling as soon as the limba/wenge guitar is completed.

I've been toying with the idea of doing a micro run of 3 of these aside from my personal build... what say you, SSO?

Spicypickles

Sweeps & Mops
Reaction score
I don't really have the boner everyone else has for PME, but that particular board has sparked some interest downstairs.

The neck definitely looks delicious.

KnightroExpress

Guitar Nerd
Vendor
Reaction score
Nothing too flashy today, just took care of the fret ends. Everything has been filed flush, beveled, and finally smoothed out with an ultra-fine file.

Next time: hardware and string installation, followed by Katana fret level.

KnightroExpress

Guitar Nerd
Vendor
Reaction score
Alright, time to get back to work. Tonight, I test-installed the hardware and strung the guitar up. This allows me to ensure that the neck alignment is good, plus I use the Katana fret leveling system, which works under string tension.

On to pics! And wouldn't you know it, everything lines up properly.

Staggered tuners are my favorite. I know they're not necessary on an angled headstock, but they look too cool to give up.

Setting relief and Katana leveling

Pressing in machine screw inserts for the matching wenge cavity cover

And of course, the inevitable full shots.

So after I get the fretwork squared away, it'll be on to final sanding. I can't wait to get some oil on this guitar!

KnightroExpress

Guitar Nerd
Vendor
Reaction score
I was originally going to wait until the limba guitar is done, but I just couldn't help myself. How about some Yucatan rosewood?

Varland

Baker of Rage
Reaction score
These instruments look incredible! It's so inspiring. I'm just getting interested in modding/making my own guitars; seeing these pictures only makes me want to do it more. Congrats on some really hot builds!

KnightroExpress

Guitar Nerd
Vendor
Reaction score
The frets on the limba guitar have been polished and I'm going to start the final sanding process in a bit. Pictures of sanding aren't very interesting though, so I'll spare you the loading times and take some pics pre- and post-finish.

In the meantime, here's an update for the headless 8. I routed the channels for the truss rod and carbon fiber reinforcement bars.

So, SSO: now I've got a question for you. My intent is to do a run of 4 of these guitars, each with the same pickups, hardware, and so forth, but with different wood combos. I've got 2 ideas totally locked down and the third almost decided, but I'd like to hear from you guys- what woods would you like to see here?

1. Yucatan rosewood neck/ash body
2. Padauk body and neck
3. Walnut body, possibly wenge neck
4. You tell me!

Of course, if you'd like to take ownership of one of these builds, the wood choices are entirely up to you!

pott

Reaction score
I would gravitate towards choice 1, but do not have much experience with the other combos.

My reasoning is: Swamp Ash is consistent enough to find good pieces, sounds good and open, and can be lightweight while resonant.
And of course, Rosewood necks are awesome. So say we all.

Other options which I found sounded VERY good (again, 100% subjective of course :) ):
- Mahogany body, lightweight, Rosewood neck (or Rosewood + maple laminate w/ satin finish for stability). Can also be made lightweight with good Mahogany, and has a very balanced sound with a very attractive roudness to notes... Not an overly aggressive tone, but oh so pleasant to the ears (I think)
- Swamp Ash w/ maple neck. Stable, easy to procure, and we all know the sound they make. That's the 'safe' choice for both builders and majority of customers
- All Mahogany; for those who prefer a mellower sound. A thick-ish maple cap will add a bit of crunch and bite to the tone

I guess it depends on what you have access to! I made no Alder/Basswood-based suggestions as I consistently find these instruments more...mhmm... bland sounding. Maybe good if playing through a wall of racks, but not what I personall enjoy. Thine miles may vary, etc...

KnightroExpress

Guitar Nerd
Vendor
Reaction score
Access to woods isn't a problem; I have a few very good suppliers local to me, and whatever I can't find here I'm happy to source via the internet.

I appreciate the input, thank you! I like the rosewood/maple laminate neck idea and was sort of leaning in the mahogany/maple direction personally, but I'm also tempted to try something odd.

')