Korean War Ended?!

• Thread starter bostjan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
How is there not a post about this?

I don't speak Korean, except one very broken phrase that I can't even write out if my life depends on it, so I don't know if my understanding of the peace treaty signed between Moon and Kim today is way off base or what, but it seems to me like the Korean War is ... over.

If so, this is absolutely a monumental moment in world history! A war going on for over 60 years coming to an end! To put into perspective, the Berlin Wall lasted less than half of that time.

Does anyone on the forum who speaks Korean want to give the gist of the agreement, or at least clarify?

I'm a little unclear as to whether Korea is on the path to reunification because of this or not.

kevdes93

Sassy
Reaction score
That was a great video to watch, it genuinely warmed my heart seeing them shake hands and kim grabbing the SK presidents hand and take him over to the north side. A few months ago i genuinely thought the end was near, as far as the whole world stage goes this is one of the best things to happen in a long time.

Lets just hope we mind our own business on this one and let them work things out

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BenjaminW

Reaction score
I'm moderately skeptical but I am going to go with my own personal belief that North Korea is going to genuinely further their denuclearization. Hopefully, some sort of Korean reunification may spring up again. Only time will tell in this case.

Tortellini

Reaction score
I’m glad to see this.. I wonder what made this all happen?
I don’t keep up to date with this kind of stuff, but I know the “DPRK” are not ones to accept compromise.

Sumsar

Reaction score
I don't know what media over there write about it, but here they focus on that it is the third time that something like this has happened, i.e the leaders meeting, shaking hands and made some sort of agreement. Last time was 10 years ago, but the agreement was broken after some months, so hopefully this time it will actually work out, but actual steps taken are needed to be seen to conclude that the Korean War is over.

MatiasTolkki

Burn In Agony
Reaction score
Praise the god emperor!

I knew Trump's aggressive stance would work on Li'l Kim. It hasn't been done before, China had no choice but to put massive pressure on Kim Jong Un to back down because they were scared Trump might actually keep his promise.

As an American living in Japan, and has had to deal with those goddamn missiles flying over the country I call home for a long time now, I am absolutely proud that President Trump has played a major role in cleaning up this mess.

Also, Trump made it MANDATORY that if Kim wanted to meet with him that these talks MUST occur or else. Trump has threatened immediate military action if Kim doesn't keep his promise, so trump has China AND NK scared. This is a win for East Asian affairs, and I hope it brings the end to the US troops being stationed in Okinawa.

MatiasTolkki

Burn In Agony
Reaction score
Oh and some news from Japan on top of this, is that it seems South Korea also managed to talk NK into talking to Japan about the kidnapped Japanese citizens DIRECTLY, which Kim Jong Un has come forward and said, "I will meet with the Japanese officials anytime." This is a BIG deal and is going to have lasting ramifications if Trump's summit with NK goes well.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score

MatiasTolkki

Burn In Agony
Reaction score
I think the closing of Toys R' Us stores had about as much to do with this as Trump did.

Dude, troops move in one direction only.

Trump's aggressive stance caused China to force NK to put up or shut up. Also, SK President Moon Jae In has said as much in PUBLIC statements to the media, that the President's stance towards north korea brought them together. So yeah, accept the truth that God Emperor has had a MAJOR impact on this all happening.

narad

Reaction score
Trump's aggressive stance caused China to force NK to put up or shut up. Also, SK President Moon Jae In has said as much in PUBLIC statements to the media, that the President's stance towards north korea brought them together. So yeah, accept the truth that God Emperor has had a MAJOR impact on this all happening.

From everything I've read being discussed, it's win-win-win for NK. The good bit here is that it seems like that's typically a win for the citizens of the world, but it's not a win at all for US political power. Basically said, hey, sure, after decades of like a "we don't negotiate with terrorists policy" switched to "Sure, we'll get you your helicopter and the bags of money. Once you're all set, let's talk about maybe releasing some of those hostages?"

I feel it's a bit like looking a gift horse in the mouth -- I don't really care by what means a volatile situation like NK is cooled off -- but by every breakdown I've read by experts on Korean politics, and what seems to be reported on the Korean local media (at least those my gf reads), this is not something to attribute to any Trump hard stance, but rather favorable circumstances for it between the Koreas (and potentially Kim having an accident at his nuclear test facility).

MatiasTolkki

Burn In Agony
Reaction score
From everything I've read being discussed, it's win-win-win for NK. The good bit here is that it seems like that's typically a win for the citizens of the world, but it's not a win at all for US political power. Basically said, hey, sure, after decades of like a "we don't negotiate with terrorists policy" switched to "Sure, we'll get you your helicopter and the bags of money. Once you're all set, let's talk about maybe releasing some of those hostages?"

I feel it's a bit like looking a gift horse in the mouth -- I don't really care by what means a volatile situation like NK is cooled off -- but by every breakdown I've read by experts on Korean politics, and what seems to be reported on the Korean local media (at least those my gf reads), this is not something to attribute to any Trump hard stance, but rather favorable circumstances for it between the Koreas (and potentially Kim having an accident at his nuclear test facility).

North Korea basically agreed to demands of all surrounding countries to de-nuclearize and stop missile launches BEFORE they agreed to meet with the US. The events were going so quickly that I couldn't keep up with every tiny detail but iirc they had to agree to those terms before Trump would even meet with Li'l Kim. Also, for the record, my information is coming from the JAPANESE media, not the anti-trump biased western media, so things aren't as politically charged against him.

@Lemonbaby

Trump reinstated tariffs on imported steel (which also affects Japan btw) and China backed down from that fight because they knew they couldn't win that battle. The economic pressures of a trade war (one the US can win btw) basically made China have to take stock of their biggest trading partner (very one sided as China's trade policies with the US are quite similar to how Japan's trade policy works with the US: LOTS of export, little import). There are a lot of moving parts in this situation, but there's one common denominator: The President and his foreign policy.

narad

Reaction score
Also, for the record, my information is coming from the JAPANESE media, not the anti-trump biased western media, so things aren't as politically charged against him.

It's just bias another way. But I'm going to side with Korean political analysis on issues pertaining most directly to Korea.

Regarding a trade war...don't you need to produce something to have a chance at winning a trade war?

Lemonbaby

Reaction score
@Lemonbaby

Trump reinstated tariffs on imported steel (which also affects Japan btw) and China backed down from that fight because they knew they couldn't win that battle. The economic pressures of a trade war (one the US can win btw) basically made China have to take stock of their biggest trading partner (very one sided as China's trade policies with the US are quite similar to how Japan's trade policy works with the US: LOTS of export, little import). There are a lot of moving parts in this situation, but there's one common denominator: The President and his foreign policy.
The steel customs discussion was used to threaten other countries, China isn't even in the top 10 of steel importers to the USA. However: almost all electronics consumed in the US are produced in China, so they'll do whatever they want there e.g. increase manufacturing prices for these PCBs. And something tells me electronics manufacturing won't move back from Asia. Besides, China holds US bonds for over a trillion USD at the moment - the US is literally broke and would have a serious issue if China stopped buying bonds for a few months...

Dcm81

Reaction score
Praise the god emperor!

I knew Trump's aggressive stance would work on Li'l Kim. It hasn't been done before, China had no choice but to put massive pressure on Kim Jong Un to back down because they were scared Trump might actually keep his promise.

As an American living in Japan, and has had to deal with those goddamn missiles flying over the country I call home for a long time now, I am absolutely proud that President Trump has played a major role in cleaning up this mess.

Also, Trump made it MANDATORY that if Kim wanted to meet with him that these talks MUST occur or else. Trump has threatened immediate military action if Kim doesn't keep his promise, so trump has China AND NK scared. This is a win for East Asian affairs, and I hope it brings the end to the US troops being stationed in Okinawa.

Wow.......just, wow! Other countries really let these types immigrate?!?

MatiasTolkki

Burn In Agony
Reaction score
Wow.......just, wow! Other countries really let these types immigrate?!?

Ummmm, maybe if you'd actually paid attention to the last 20 years of diplomacy in Asia you might actually understand WHY this worked. I've been watching this situation for damn near 15 years, PRIOR to moving to Japan. Also, my opinions of Trump and him being aggressive towards NK are nowhere NEAR what the Nippon kaigi believes, but you wouldn't know ANYTHING about Japanese politics, would you? Thought not.

Latest posts