KORG Pitchblack just arrived! (short review + pics)

loktide

dotlike
Contributor
Reaction score
so after considering different stompbox tuners (especially the boss tu-2 and the korg DT-10) i ended up ordering korg newest stompbox tuner. At 69€ it's more affordable than it's older brother the DT-10 (85€) and the BOSS TU-2 (91€), so i decided to give it a shot and see if it can hold up with these...

i244706_IMG3117.jpg

i244707_IMG3118.jpg

i244708_IMG3119.jpg

i244709_IMG3122.jpg

i244710_IMG3124.jpg

i244711_IMG3125.jpg

First impressions:

the chassis is made of metal and the front panel looks really solid and reliable. The unit's fairly heavy for it's size and makes a very solid impression. I also like the fact that KORG included a 9V battery :yesway:

True Bypass:

i hate when manufactures use this term in regard to their pedals since a lot of pedals advertised as 'true bypass' aren't... anyway, the pitchblack IS true bypass for those who might care (.: yes, another tuner page :.). I also tried running it without a battery and it bypassed the signal. Since i don't need an additional buffer in my pedalboard, i guess it's a good thing. It looks like KORG did their homework on this one :yesway:

Tuning modes:

This pedal offers 4 different tuning modes:

1. Meter (like on most tuners)
2. Full-strobe
3. Half-Strobe
4. Mirror meter

let's have a look at these modes:

1. meter mode:

this is the standard display for most tuners around. Despite of the relatively few LEDs on the pitchblack, they glow at different intensities which makes it more precise.

Here some pics of a pitch slightly out of tune and then in tune:

out of tune:
i244712_IMG3134.jpg

in tune:
i244713_IMG3135.jpg

2. Full-strobe mode

this mode may appear a bit odd on a first glance. All LED bars move along the display indicating if you're tuned too low (movement to the left) or too high (to the right). The speed of the moving LEDs decreases as you get reach the correct pitch, then they stop.

this is how it looks like:

slightly out of tune:
i244714_IMG3136.jpg

in tune:
i244715_IMG3137.jpg

3. Half-strobe mode:

this mode is similar to the previous, but the LED bars only 'flow' at either the right or left side of the display depending if you're below or above pitch. I find it better to read than full-strobe and it makes the impression of beeing more precise than the meter modes. I've never used a tuner like this and absolutely love it!
pics:

out of tune:
i244716_IMG3138.jpg

in tune:
i244717_IMG3139.jpg

4. Mirrored meter mode:

basically the usual meter mode like on all tuners, but the bars approach from both sides of the middle green LED as you approach the correct pitch. In short: this mode blows and i don't see anybody using it...
if it wasn't for the lower yellow arrows, you wouldn't know if you're above or below pitch.

out of tune:
i244718_IMG3141.jpg

in tune:
i244719_IMG3142.jpg

if you're confused with all the glowing bars, the two simple yellow arrows below indicate in which direction you should tune... idiot proof

ok, that was it. I think the pichblack is a great unit and definitely more than just the usual stompbox tuner. For the price, it think it's unbeatable.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Great review!

That looks like a really solid tuner. Korg makes great tuners, and for stage use, this one looks like a winner (especially if you can't afford a Strobostomp at nearly 3x the price, or don't do your own setup work). The tuning accuracy (±1 cent) is perfectly acceptable for a stage tuner, and way better than the BOSS TU-2. (Honestly, i don't know how people can use the TU-2. ±3 cents is just not accurate enough for my ear.)

It looks like it's really solidly built, and being true bypass and having a DC out jack makes it pretty much perfect.

How fast and accurate is the tuning? How well does it track on the low strings?

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
Korg builds very nice tuners. I have a $20 chromatic one, a GA-30, that works very well.

loktide

dotlike
Contributor
Reaction score
How fast and accurate is the tuning? How well does it track on the low strings?

i can't comment on how accurate it is at the moment. It sounds perfectly good to my ears, but i haven't compared it to other units since i don't another quality tuner.

tracking is great! it's fast and doesn't mess around a lot. It also tracks the low B perfectly well and is the first tuner where i can tune it accurately. I always used to tune it by ear. I can only compare it to my podXT's ang g-major's tuner, which had shitty tracking and accuracy for my low B.

kristallin

punk'd
Reaction score
I'll have to pick one of those up, the tuner display on the XTLive is way too small, and I'm not wearing glasses on stage.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
i can't comment on how accurate it is at the moment. It sounds perfectly good to my ears, but i haven't compared it to other units since i don't another quality tuner.

Doesn't it say in the booklet?

the.godfather

Mr. Flibble
Reaction score
For the money I think I may just have to add one of these into the mix. Thanks the pics and the review, much appreciated. :yesway:

It looks pretty damn cool too!

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
looks good! its the same tuning accuracy just with different display modes right?

I may have to pick up one of these over a TU-2 as well.. once i start getting gigs :lol:

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
It strobes??
wow..
well i think i found a pedal tuner to use. Still wanna grab a peterson rack tuner. when i have like 450 to spend on a tuner

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
That's pretty neat! I have a KORG tuner on my board already, but this looks a lot more convenient than my CA-30. :lol:

')