Korn 8 string

• Thread starter Mr. S
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rogue

metal is forever
Reaction score
i think that 7's have got to generate a lot more cash and interest before any company will realisticly think about 8's

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hellbound

€£¥€£¥€£¥€£•
Reaction score
I have to admit, I used to be a big korn fan all the way up to their "Follow the Leader" album and I still like that album, now I can't stand them I was just listening to the"Take a Look in the Mirror" the other day and it's one of the worst albums ever. The guitar playing is as simple as it gets just chug on the first 4 or 5 frets on the top string only I can't stand it. Lately I've been listening to much better music such as Nevermore. Loomis and Smyth are freaks and that's all I'll say.:hbang: Korn switching to 8 strings I just don't see the point they could get away with a 1 string guitar and have all the strings or "string" they would ever need.

Zane

7newb
Reaction score
wow cool guitar,
I dont care what anyone says on this forum but i like nu metal more than metal , i think quit a few solos are long and boring. its not that they cant play solos it doesnt fit into the music. they may have given the sevenstring a simple rep but they spread the usage. they were also diffrent had a style that was their own and original i dont see many bands like that anymore. i dont believe that they disserve a metal title and i have read interviews and they state that they dont either. rock is rock sometimes two power chords get a point across better than a blazing solo. if it sounds cool its good, you dont need speed and music theory and all that shit to be a good guitarist.
if you think your so dam good go out and make more of an impact, the way some of you talk you should easily achieve the status.
i know im giving myself a bad rep but i dont care last time i looked it said sevenstring.org not metal.org
:fawk:
and if anyone learned their shit you would need more than one string
and fuck you ajdath

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
Zane said:
and fuck you ajdath

You would need more than one string if you wanted to play anything interesting, you know, with chords and stuff.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Zane said:
wow cool guitar,
I dont care what anyone says on this forum but i like nu metal more than metal , i think quit a few solos are long and boring. its not that they cant play solos it doesnt fit into the music. they may have given the sevenstring a simple rep but they spread the usage. they were also diffrent had a style that was their own and original i dont see many bands like that anymore. i dont believe that they disserve a metal title and i have read interviews and they state that they dont either. rock is rock sometimes two power chords get a point across better than a blazing solo. if it sounds cool its good, you dont need speed and music theory and all that shit to be a good guitarist.
if you think your so dam good go out and make more of an impact, the way some of you talk you should easily achieve the status.
i know im giving myself a bad rep but i dont care last time i looked it said sevenstring.org not metal.org
:fawk:
and fuck you ajdath

You had a great post until you got to the last line.. lol... Keep it nice.

Mastodon

Songs about My Cats
Reaction score
That finish is gorgeous. I doubt they would just use it to chug on. They could just drop they wanted to do that.

Think about it, Dino uses an 8 and he uses it for more than chugging.

Meshuggah uses 8's, they do more than chugging.

Don't think there are any other major US bands that have 8's, but you see where I'm going.

MetalMike

IKILLUWITHMYBALDHEAD
Contributor
Reaction score
Was it ever verified that the 8 went to Vai? I'm assuming he had nothing to do with it and his name was somehow wrongfully attached. The EMGS and TRS make it hard to believe any remote possiblility he had anything to do with it. I'm going to search for the original thread before someone flames me for not using the search function properly ;).

nyck

blah!
Reaction score
metalmike23 said:
Was it ever verified that the 8 went to Vai? I'm assuming he had nothing to do with it and his name was somehow wrongfully attached. The EMGS and TRS make it hard to believe any remote possiblility he had anything to do with it. I'm going to search for the original thread before someone flames me for not using the search function properly ;).
I dunno if I'm right, but my guess is that the guitar went to Vai for inspection or something. Maybe Ibanez asked him if he was interested in trying it out, and he said sure send it on over. Then he didn't like it and so Ibanez asked Munky and he's got it now. I dunno, I'm just speaking beaver talk(lmao inside joke)

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
metalmike23 said:

I think you're right; somebody dropped the wrong name somewhere along the line, and it spread as a rumour. Although what nyck says is plausible--they made this sort of generalized 8-string, just to pass around to various artists, like Vai or Korn so they can try to see if they like 8-strings.

I would imagine that if Vai liked it, they'd make him another to his specks, although I have no clue what kind of pick-ups he'd want in it.

Again, while Korn may not be that great, they are a band with the capacity to generate interest around the concept of an 8-string and thus make a production run plausible. Cross your fingers :hbang:

NegaTiveXero

.... Your Face!
Contributor
Reaction score
People need to chill with the Korn bashing, like Zane said they do what they do to get their point across. Munky even said, if it ever called for a solo to get the point across then it would be there.

And don't even say munky sucks at guitar, he's quite proficient. In their tour earlier this year, Munk did a keyboard and guitar thing. He did a solo thing over the keyboard playing a mellow tune. I really liked it.

I mean, to each his or her own, but bashing goes nowhere.

If Korn started to use an 8, or even generated interest, Ibanez will release one (well, most likely). Something tells me though, since Korn likes to be innovative, it wouldn't be a farfetched idea for them (even though others ARE using them, it's still an innovation for a mainstream band to use one).

shadowgenesis

Yarrrrrr
Reaction score
yeah. the korn bashing is... tiresome. wows

actually one of the things i like about Korn so much is that they do a lot of little melodic lines and "leads" that are really fuckin strange and use effects in a really cool, different way. Follow the Leader is riddled with little sounds and shit that is a different approach to playing guitar.

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I think this is a guitar to be passed about. Neither Vai or Korn use EMG's. Korn could make interesting use of an 8 if they went back to their older style of writing, but would increase public exposure and make a production model more likely regardless.

I'm not so hot on their newer stuff, but I really like older Korn. Ok they don't blaze up the fretboard, but they make very good use of the 7 string in a different style, more textural than technical. Try playing stuff like Blind easily on one 6 string.

Too many people get caught up in technicallity and miss the whole point of music: to produce something that sounds good. Who cares if it's simple or complex, just as long as it's a good song. Take Puritania by Dimmu Borgir. They can play some very involved stuff, but that song features just 2 very simple powerchord riffs. It's mainly driven by the drums and a bit of synth. Still an amazing song.

Make music, not technical exercises.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
NegaTiveXero said:
People need to chill with the Korn bashing,

I'm the biggest Korn fan probably on here, except for maybe Korbain. And I could care less if people bash on Korn. Bash away!

1. It's just their opinion
2. They (Korn) haven't really done shit worth mentioning lately anyway

I'm sorry. I disagree. Look, Ken doesn't like Korn at all, while I love them. Does that mean he thinks I'm a dumbass? Not at all! Do I think he's stupid for not liking them? Hardly. Dude's my friend, and I respect his opinion. Toshiro cracks on Korn nearly every chance he gets, but he respects that I like them, and I think he's one of the best guys on here. I usually just laugh at his jokes.

Now, thoughts...

If it weren't for Korn, I'm pretty sure we wouldn't see a 7 string market anywhere NEAR what it is today. Korn does not drive the 7 market anymore, but they, along with Vai, played a significant role early on (in recent years, that is).

I would play in Korn at the drop of a hat! But I doubt I'd last, 'cause I'd be kicking Munky and Jon' asses to play something more complex than what they do now. :lol:

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not much of a fan, but say what you will about Korn, they popularized the 7. I also give them credit for originality.

Papa Shank

Be-otch
Reaction score
metalfiend666 said:
I think this is a guitar to be passed about. Neither Vai or Korn use EMG's. Korn could make interesting use of an 8 if they went back to their older style of writing, but would increase public exposure and make a production model more likely regardless.
Exactly.

Korbain

Stay negative!
Reaction score
christ, korn using an 8 string! god forbid they use another guitar other than a 7 string. why bitch about something so stupid, they got the 8 string for a reason, its in no1 elses hands but theirs, so they're doing something right. everyone likes they're own music, but its a real shit to come here and see a bunch of nobs throwing a topic way off because they wanna have a bitch about korn. They play music with passion, what more do you want? sure they get a fuckload of cash, but we all gotta make money somehow, i'd love to make a shitload of cash from doing music. And i'm gonna laugh at the dumb ass that posted he stopped playing 7 string because of korn, what a joke you are. Whats going down is, munky is doing a solo project, guitar and instruments only, no singing. So the 8 string is likely being used for that. So its more than likely not just for promo, but also because munky's doing an instrumental album. I know i just wasted alot of my time writing that for nothing, cause i'll come here again and see people bitching about something as petty as "korn are shit they're successful"

jtm45

Reaction score
metalfiend666 said:
I think this is a guitar to be passed about. Neither Vai or Korn use EMG's.

That's exactly what i was gonna' say James:yesway:

I don't reckon it's been given to Munky as such,as much as it's 'doing the rounds'.
It probably did spend some time with Vai originally.

Remember recently Vai and Munky (and a few other Ibanez endorsee's)did an interview and said that they'd all recently tried an Ibanez 8 and found it uncomfortable to play.
Probably this very axe!

I like the look of it but i just don't see me ever being to make full use of an 8 or ever really wanting one.
The only reason i can think of for that TRS-based trem is to keep the costs down for a production model.
All of the recent Ibanez 8's seem to have that same trem too.
Surely it wouldn't have cost much more to have based the trem on a Lo-Pro?

Here's the pics of it again for anyone who's interested;
Wierd!?! I just noticed it has no Serial Number ,LACS or Fugiyen!?
Could indidcate that it is indeed a pre-production prototype....or not?
rg8-01.jpg

rg8-02.jpg

rg8-03.jpg

rg8-26.jpg

rg8-27.jpg

rg8-33.jpg

')