Korn 8 string

• Thread starter Mr. S
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I never heard any reliable rumours that the 8 was going to Vai - I saw some pictures posted up on an Italian, I believe, website calling it a "Vai 8", but it matches the basic design and finish (minus the inclusion of a trem) of the blue 8 prototype that was at NAMM, which was introduced with no band associations.

Honestly, I'd be surprised if it was even going directly to the guys in Korn - I mean, it's puctured with Jonathan Davis, not Munky, and Korn doesn't tune down to F# or anything. Do we know for sure it wasn't just sent to them to check out, have a few pictures taken, and then back to the factory for a once-over by another endorser?

And if so, where can I sign up to become and endorser and give that thing a try? :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yeah, that Jonathan Davis is pictured with it. I had no idea that 8-string would end up in Munky's hands. Good for him. I hope he plays it. :yesway:

Mr. S

tacos?
Reaction score
Drew said:
Korn doesn't tune down to F# or anything. Do we know for sure it wasn't just sent to them to check out, have a few pictures taken, and then back to the factory for a once-over by another endorser?
wouldnt it be like a low E for korn since they tune to A standard? god, thats a good way to clear the bowels of an audience :lol:
i got the picture off jemsite from the rob patterson thread, in it he kinda hinted about people playing 8's after some people started bitching about sevens and then for some reason eights
rob p said:
p.s. there is a few people playing 8 string guitars... ;)
indicating that he knew munky might be getting one, and then not long after someone said that he had spoken to munky at a sound check saying he had just got an eight... so it's entirely likely that it is staying with korn, wether or not they'll use it or not is another thing, but i wouldnt be supprised if its theirs for keeps, considering the volume of customs korn get, 14 string's and 14/7 double necks to mention a few...

jtm45

Reaction score
Hey Mr.S !
Do you know anywhere that has nice pictures of all of the Ibanez LACS guitars that they've built for Munky and Head over the years ?

It seems to be very difficult to find anything but the smallest pics of them using them live.
I've got a copy of 'Total Guitar' here with a couple of nice pics of the Camo K7 (that's a kick-ass looking guitar!)of Munky's and his 'Cancer/Stars' inlay one with the leathery looking paint.
Head has a nice looking 7 in that mag too with something like 'uncle B' inlaid on the 12th fret and it either looks to be chromed or a very shiny black finish.

That thru-neck 7 string they had was gorgeous too,with the natural mahogany or koa body wings and thin ebony strips and stuff.There's a tiny picture in one of the Ibanez catalogues of Head playing it live.

If anyone knows where there's any good pics of their guitars online that would be cool:yesway:

Mr. S

tacos?
Reaction score
i can never find any decent pics of the korn customs, i bet they have a bitchin' collection, i would love to find a picture of munky's or head's collections... yeah that camo one is sweet, i know the one you're talking about, i think head has a crome one, also i havent seen the neckthru model, ill have to look for it..

someone needs to go interveiw munky and get pictures taken of all his guitar :lol: or mabye we can hire rob patterson to be our spy :lol:

heavy7-665

Reaction score
Im a korn fan mainly because they did something that others wouldn't an i personly saw munky's new solo during the live set it was amazing tapping,sweeping,divebombs ect.i hope he gets ibanez to make the eight string........................but they should ditch the trem

Mastodon

Songs about My Cats
Reaction score
Yeah I'm surprised they didn't try going with a fix bridge for the prototype, but what do I know.

Head was pictured on the inside cover of guitar world last year with a kickass double neck 14/7 with the untouchables cover for a paint job.

Head-DoubleNeckUntouchables.jpg

Personally, I'm still crossing my fingers for one of these:

P100012.jpg

Man I wish they would make that V a production model.

Hellbound

€£¥€£¥€£¥€£•
Reaction score
that 8 string is hot. I want one. Sorry about bashing korn I just like their older stuff so much better. I'd be curious to see how they sound with the 8 string introduced.

Reaction score
I just wanna add this:
D|---BBBB---L---------A-------N---N---K---K-------------------
A|---B---B--L--------A-A------NN--N---K-K--------------------
F|---BBBB---L-------A---A-----N-N-N---KK---------------------
C|---B---B--L------AAAAAA----N--NN---K-K-------------------------
G|---BBBB---LLLLl--A------A---N----N---K---K----------------------------
D|-2--2--2--22h3---2--2--2-22h3---2--2--2-22h3---2--2--2-22h3--|
A|-0--0--0—00h1---0--0--0-00h1---0--0--0-00h1---0--0--0-00h1--|

No but really, I dont have much against korn, I used to listen to them once (a little), but I got tired of it. And I know that tab is a bit unfair because they play on the upper strings to, but I just couldnt help it. But nice guitar!
I dont know who said it really but, If they wanna play an 8 let them! its their hands and their desicions.

NegaTiveXero

.... Your Face!
Contributor
Reaction score
Now that's just blatant bullshit (the tab).

That looks like a Fear Factory song. (Not bashing FF, it literally does).

Korn make very good use of the upper strings, albeit not solos, but they do.

Mastodon

Songs about My Cats
Reaction score
I thought the tab was funny, but it can be applied to too many metal bands.

This is the tab for the main riff of "The River Dragon has come"

Main Riffs end x2
(---------------------------------)----------------------------------)
(---------------------------------)-----------------------------3----)
(-5-3-2-3-x-3-2-3-2-3-5-2-x-2-3-2-)-5-3-2-3-x-3-2-3-2-3-5-2-x-2-1----)
(-3-1-0-1-x-1-0-1-0-1-3-0-x-0-1-0-)-3-1-0-1-x-1-0-1-0-1-3-0-x-0------)

Verse1
Pm x x x x x x x x x volume swell x4
(--------------------------------------------------------------------------)
(--------------4-------------------------------------4----------5----------)
(--2---2---2---2-----------------------2-2--2--2-2-2-2----------3----------)
(--2---2---2---2-----------------------2-2--2--2-2-2-2----------3----------)
(--0---0---0---0-----------------------0-0--0--0-0-0-0---------------------)

Crunchy riffs just plain aren't complicated looking.

It's the simplicity of a crunchy metal riff that makes it so great though.

jtm45

Reaction score
Mastodon said:
Personally, I'm still crossing my fingers for one of these:
P100012.jpg

Man I wish they would make that V a production model.

What the FUCK!!!???!
I never saw that Ibanez 7 string v before!!!!

Man,i saw pics of that proto 8 in that cabinet so how did i miss that V?!
Is it a fixed neck or what?
Edit:I overcounted the tuners in my excitement,doh!
It's a 6 :(

Cheers Kotex for that other pic of the 7/14:yesway:

7slinger

wake up dead
Contributor
Reaction score
Seedawakener said:
D|---BBBB---L---------A-------N---N---K---K-------------------
A|---B---B--L--------A-A------NN--N---K-K--------------------
F|---BBBB---L-------A---A-----N-N-N---KK---------------------
C|---B---B--L------AAAAAA----N--NN---K-K-------------------------
G|---BBBB---LLLLl--A------A---N----N---K---K----------------------------
D|-2--2--2--22h3---2--2--2-22h3---2--2--2-22h3---2--2--2-22h3--|
A|-0--0--0—00h1---0--0--0-00h1---0--0--0-00h1---0--0--0-00h1--|
:funny:

jtm45

Reaction score
I really don't care what people's tab looks like as long as the fuckin' sound it makes is good,and a lot of what Korn have done in the past has been splendid.
Bashing people more musically productive and successful than yourself does nothing for your credibility.:fawk:

I'm no huge Korn fan but they deserve respect for what they have done for the 7.

Mr. S

tacos?
Reaction score
i found a few korn customs on their fan site.. they have a 'gear' section on this site and i thought 'awesome, exactally what i was after' well theres only 3 bloody pictures in munkys bit and unsuprisingly theres no head stuff on there anymore :wallbash: , here's the best of what i found...
this one looks pretty cool with the binding arround the body too, pity about the red strings :lol:
munk2.jpg

and this one... i dont like, looks tacky...
munkguitar.jpg

i love this strat style one... its pretty hot
munk3.jpg

Reaction score
NegaTiveXero said:
Now that's just blatant bullshit (the tab).
That looks like a Fear Factory song. (Not bashing FF, it literally does).
Korn make very good use of the upper strings, albeit not solos, but they do.

No I know, that is not a fair tab. They do lots of things on the higher strings. I once saw them live and I know they do all weird things with effects and stuff there. Korn are not a bad band, I dont think they are that good either, but I would rather, as many other people here, see that eightstring in a real shredders hands. though its not our desicion to make, cause korn play on whatever they like.
typo

Allen Garrow

Famous Beaver Hunter
Reaction score
Karl Hungus said:
Christ, Korn are the last band I want to see with an 8 String. I know there are some fans around these parts, but that band pretty much single-handedly gave 7 Strings a bad name, so I hope to god they don't do the same with 8s. :(

+1

I'm hoping Jon was just checking it out at the Namm show somewhere after hours, and that it went no where with anyone in the band.

~A

')