Korn 8 string

• Thread starter Mr. S
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
NegaTiveXero said:
That looks like a Fear Factory song. (Not bashing FF, it literally does).

I just cant get this out of my head so i have to write it. That is the "Yall want a single?"-tab. So it doesnt matter if it looks like FF, it is korn.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Pauly

Not so local lefty
Reaction score
Mastodon said:
I thought the tab was funny, but it can be applied to too many metal bands.
This is the tab for the main riff of "The River Dragon has come"
Main Riffs end x2
(---------------------------------)----------------------------------)
(---------------------------------)-----------------------------3----)
(-5-3-2-3-x-3-2-3-2-3-5-2-x-2-3-2-)-5-3-2-3-x-3-2-3-2-3-5-2-x-2-1----)
(-3-1-0-1-x-1-0-1-0-1-3-0-x-0-1-0-)-3-1-0-1-x-1-0-1-0-1-3-0-x-0------)
Verse1
Pm x x x x x x x x x volume swell x4
(--------------------------------------------------------------------------)
(--------------4-------------------------------------4----------5----------)
(--2---2---2---2-----------------------2-2--2--2-2-2-2----------3----------)
(--2---2---2---2-----------------------2-2--2--2-2-2-2----------3----------)
(--0---0---0---0-----------------------0-0--0--0-0-0-0---------------------)
Crunchy riffs just plain aren't complicated looking.
It's the simplicity of a crunchy metal riff that makes it so great though.

They have more, Narcosynthesis verse riff for example. Hell, even Meshuggah have moments like this (with added polyrhythm madness though).

In fact, I think EVERY metal band has moments like this, some more than others though.

jtm45

Reaction score
Mr. S said:
i found a few korn customs on their fan site.. they have a 'gear' section on this site and i thought 'awesome, exactally what i was after' well theres only 3 bloody pictures in munkys bit and unsuprisingly theres no head stuff on there anymore :wallbash: , here's the best of what i found...
this one looks pretty cool with the binding arround the body too, pity about the red strings :lol:
munk2.jpg

and this one... i dont like, looks tacky...
munkguitar.jpg

i love this strat style one... its pretty hot
munk3.jpg

Nice work Mr.S:yesway: +1 Rep for bothering!
Yeah,i don't like those red strings either.Nice guitar though!
I like the inlay on the Dragon one but the body graphic is a bit much.
That Strat typa' one is sweet!

Maybe we should start a 'Munky+Heads various Ibanez 7's Pics' Thread.:agreed:

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
That strat-style 7 IS pretty nice. Makes me think of one of Dave Weiner's customs :agreed:

Although I still prefer my 7s pickguard-less.

Kotex

Trippin' balls
Reaction score
Ah shit. Delete this please mods. I posted this in the wrong place. :/

drshock

Street-good guy
Reaction score
Korn ws the reason i was so fixed on buying a seven string, my first guitar is a rg7321, i learned on them at age 16 so how can anyone say that korn has done anything bad for sevens? Now they're music now may suck but back in the 90's when they were on demand, they brought the heat with the low end which brought 7's back and if im not mistaken they are the only band the ever win a grammy that uses a seven sting guitar, so how can that be wrong for them to use them?

Mastodon

Songs about My Cats
Reaction score
pauly-bobs said:
They have more, Narcosynthesis verse riff for example. Hell, even Meshuggah have moments like this (with added polyrhythm madness though).
In fact, I think EVERY metal band has moments like this, some more than others though.

Yeah that's what I was trying to say.:yesway:

Nats

Reaction score
i wonder how much they'd cost if they were mass produced. i'd probaby get one depending on price

Cancer

Gazzmask
Reaction score
Korn is cool....

But I sorta don't want them involved with the 8 string, you remember what happened the last time.

Ibanez should just make the damn thing, let some newcomers blaze some ground, like Korn tried to do with the 7.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
psyphre said:
Ibanez should just make the damn thing, let some newcomers blaze some ground, like Korn tried to do with the 7.

:spock:

Cause, um, Vai was never associated with the seven... :nuts:

Pauly

Not so local lefty
Reaction score
Like them or not, if it wasn't for Korn, you'd probably have a lot less 7-strings to choose from, especially the more affordable ones. IMO obviously.

Cyberi4n

Reaction score
I make no secret of the fact that I love Korn. After 17 years of playing I recently bought my first 7 - and that has all been down to Korn. I remember buying passion and warfare when it was first out and never really "getting" the whole Vai thing - to me shredding sounds technically impressive but souless. I definately come from the "less is more" school.

What I WOULD like to say though is that for me its the RIFF that is more important than the solo! The average person in the street remembers and hums riffs, not solos. And Korn have plenty of imaginative riffs.

My philosophy in music is to know when NOT to play, retraint and leave the audience wanting more! I know this directly clashes with the shredding school of thought that resides on this forum - hats off to you btw I wish I was technically as proficient as that - however for me music has to have soul and I dont find any in endless guitar solos and mindblowing speed excersises. One perfect note rather than 15 for the sake of it etc!

And for those that moan about how crap Korn are? Well lets face it - they helped re-popularise the 7-string that many had thought was a passing fad after Vai went back to the 6-string, and they seem to be a dam sight more successful in the music industry than most of the posters on this forum.

jtm45

Reaction score
Totally agreed dude!
It's all about the Riffage:agreed:

You ususally find that these people who are classed as 'virtuoso shredders' (yawn)can 'shred' their asses off but they can't write a decent tune or come up with a decent 'riff' to save their lives.
All they do is sell technique DVD's:lol:

There are exceptions of course (Vai,Satch etc.)but on the whole that's the truth,in my mind at least.

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
jtm45 said:
You ususally find that these people who are classed as 'virtuoso shredders' (yawn)can 'shred' their asses off but they can't write a decent tune or come up with a decent 'riff' to save their lives.

Yeah, but neither can Korn :scratch:

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you to some extent, but to me Korn is equally boring as those mindless virtuoso shredders; they're just the other extreme. On one hand you have extremely simple music, on the other you have overly-complex music. It's a balance of the two that makes perfection :cool:

But anyway, back on topic now...

Allen Garrow

Famous Beaver Hunter
Reaction score
Cyberi4n said:
I make no secret of the fact that I love Korn. After 17 years of playing I recently bought my first 7 - and that has all been down to Korn. I remember buying passion and warfare when it was first out and never really "getting" the whole Vai thing - to me shredding sounds technically impressive but souless. I definately come from the "less is more" school.

What I WOULD like to say though is that for me its the RIFF that is more important than the solo! The average person in the street remembers and hums riffs, not solos. And Korn have plenty of imaginative riffs.

My philosophy in music is to know when NOT to play, retraint and leave the audience wanting more! I know this directly clashes with the shredding school of thought that resides on this forum - hats off to you btw I wish I was technically as proficient as that - however for me music has to have soul and I dont find any in endless guitar solos and mindblowing speed excersises. One perfect note rather than 15 for the sake of it etc!

And for those that moan about how crap Korn are? Well lets face it - they helped re-popularise the 7-string that many had thought was a passing fad after Vai went back to the 6-string, and they seem to be a dam sight more successful in the music industry than most of the posters on this forum.

Nicely spoken dude. Your right. I never looked at it that way. I have a new appreciation for Korn. I don't buy any of there music, nor will I any time soon. However the point you were making on how melody's and hooks are what people remember is dead on. Shredding is fun, but not everyone that shreds is able to just put down a great song that non shredders can appreciate. Not to mention that simply by the way you got your point across, you weren't being a defensive ass slinging shit. Kudos to you for walking the higher road. By doing that you held my attention long enough to understand your point.

~A

jtm45

Reaction score
Nik said:
Yeah, but neither can Korn :scratch:

But that's obviously coming from someone who doesn't like Korn dude.

I'm not a huge fan of everything they've done but to say that they can't write a good tune would just be in-correct and........i'd best just stop there on that one.:noplease:
Why the fuck would they have gotten as far as they have if they'd never written a good tune?

There's lots of bands/musicians that i don't particularly like or would never choose to listen to but i can still appreciate their ability as musicians or song-writers.

Mastodon

Songs about My Cats
Reaction score
Y'all bitch and moan too damn much.

I like both Vai and Korn. Sure I can find negatives in both of their music, but to me the positives FAR outshine the negatives for both of these artists.

nyck

blah!
Reaction score
Mastodon said:
Y'all bitch and moan too damn much.

I like both Vai and Korn. Sure I can find negatives in both of their music, but to me the positives FAR outshine the negatives for both of these artists.
Nicely said.

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
jtm45 said:
But that's obviously coming from someone who doesn't like Korn dude.

I'm not a huge fan of everything they've done but to say that they can't write a good tune would just be in-correct and........i'd best just stop there on that one.:noplease:
Why the fuck would they have gotten as far as they have if they'd never written a good tune?

Yes, it's true that I'm not a Korn fan, but I did agree with you to some extent and I just pointed that out. Your post is justified man, we all have our opinions ;)

My only gripe with your post is the sentence "Why the fuck would they have gotten as far as they have if they'd never written a good tune?"

The Black Eyed Peas have gotten pretty far. Have they ever written a good tune? Hell no. What I'm trying to say dude is yeah, you're right, we're all entitled to our opinions, but popularity does not equal talent.

')