Korn 8 string

• Thread starter Mr. S
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cyberi4n

Reaction score
People want different things out of music. Some want music to appreciate, to insipre and to influence. People like us listen to music because we're musicians, beacuse we appreciate people who push musical boundaries, who challenge the rules. Korn are a band who have done that in the past, and collectively sound good for it! There are a million signed bands out there who sound much worse than Korn, and there are also a million unsigned garage bands that sound a whole lot better, Korn got the break, and good luck to them! I like what they do, and I think that writting memorable songs that sound different to eachother but still the same takes talent!

There are also people out there who want music to hum to in the car, music to listen to a few times then forget! These are the ones that like the Paris's and the sabrina's of this world, and there's a helluva lot of them out there as well!

Writing a good pop song with a catchy melody takes talent, it aint easy! I bet the guys from Korn couldn't write a pop classic - and neither could the guys from Metallica!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

2powern

Maiden England
Reaction score
Cyberi4n said:
Writing a good pop song with a catchy melody takes talent, it aint easy! I bet the guys from Korn couldn't write a pop classic - and neither could the guys from Metallica!

Define "pop".

If it's a catchy peace of music, then 100,000,000 record sales disagree.

Mr. S

tacos?
Reaction score
i fear this thread may have wondered slightly off its original topic, not that i didnt see it coming :lol:

Korbain

Stay negative!
Reaction score
Mr. S said:
i fear this thread may have wondered slightly off its original topic, not that i didnt see it coming :lol:

lol yes i think we saw that coming after the first few replies, it stayed ontopic longer than i expected though. the korn bitching is easing down slightly...for now

Aaron

Reaction score
If it wasnt for korn you wouldnt have your precious 7s that have or desire they made the 7 string popular, i mean if they didnt do what they did then this forum probably would not exist. So what they didn't shred, but they created somthing pure and original.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Aaron said:
If it wasnt for korn you wouldnt have your precious 7s that have or desire they made the 7 string popular, i mean if they didnt do what they did then this forum probably would not exist. So what they didn't shred, but they created somthing pure and original.

Yeah, we cant blame steve vai or george van eps for it, can we ?

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Metal Ken said:
Yeah, we cant blame steve vai or george van eps for it, can we ?
I never bought that argument completely. Vai, Van Eps, Bucky Pizzarelli, and all the guys like them (especially Vai) that were 7-string pioneers, well, we owe the world to, undoubtedly, for their influence in 7-string guitars.

But, were it not for Korn, 7's would be 10x the niche instrument that they are even now, I think. Like them or not, they really are largely responsible for bringing the 7-string guitar into a whole new realm of visibility. Thank you, Korn. :bowdown:

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
The Dark Wolf said:
But, were it not for Korn, 7's would be 10x the niche instrument that they are even now, I think. Like them or not, they really are largely responsible for bringing the 7-string guitar into a whole new realm of visibility. Thank you, Korn. :bowdown:

I think you mean 10x "less" the niche instrument that they are now.

Completely agree. I'm not a Korn fan. I really like their first album and like songs off most of their albums up to about 2001 or so and don't really dig much anything after that, but I think Korn is the biggest popularizer of the 7-string. They helped bring more 7-string models into production, as well as more affordable ones.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Naren said:
I think you mean 10x "less" the niche instrument that they are now.
Hmm. That's an interesting perspective. It could be said that way, but if one is meaning 'niche instrument' as a limiting qualifier, then multiplying it would have almost the effect of multiplying a negative number. Meaning an increase in term value, but not necessarlity in quanity. Just the opposite.

So, that was my thinking. I meant it just the way I said it, but I can see the other way probably being a bit more appropriate.

Thanks for the support. :agreed:

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
The Dark Wolf said:
Hmm. That's an interesting perspective. It could be said that way, but if one is meaning 'niche instrument' as a limiting qualifier, then multiplying it would have almost the effect of multiplying a negative number. Meaning an increase in term value, but not necessarlity in quanity. Just the opposite.

So, that was my thinking. I meant it just the way I said it, but I can see the other way probably being a bit more appropriate.

Thanks for the support. :agreed:

Ah, I see what you meant now. Yeah, I guess you could say either, depending on how you looked at it. I was reading what you wrote as "It's a big niche instrument now, but it'd be a 10x bigger niche instrument if Korn hadn't done what they did." which is why I thought you meant to put "less" in there. Mm, now I see what you meant by that, though.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Naren said:
Ah, I see what you meant now. Yeah, I guess you could say either, depending on how you looked at it. I was reading what you wrote as "It's a big niche instrument now, but it's be a 10x biggest niche instrument if Korn hadn't done what they did." which is why I thought you meant to put "less" in there. Mm, now I see what you meant by that, though.
Yeah, my brain is wierd like that, sometimes.

But clarity is always to be striven for, so your way is a bit better, I think. It just didn't even occur to me to write it that way.

Korbain

Stay negative!
Reaction score
i think the best way to sum it all up, as people have said, love or hate korn, you can't take away they popularised the 7 string. We take no credit from vai's efforts or anything, but korn were huge back in the time and everyone was like they used a 7 i want one! not that they're a small band, they're musics changed, but they;'re ontop of the world. i'm jelous lol

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Korn on top of the world? Eh... I'm one of their biggest fans, but I wouldn't say that... at least anymore. Sure, they're rich, but what are they doing musically? Are they influencing people and trends like they did 10 years ago? *snort* Not on your life.

Really, they're 1 step away from being has-beens, at least at this point. Who knows, people wrote off Sabbath and Iron Maiden before, too. Maybe that lull is a necessary part of a career. Who can say what will become of Korn. Hell, even Yngwie is sorta popular again!

Korbain

Stay negative!
Reaction score
Despite what people would, i believe they'll step up. I agree with you, i mean on top of the world as in, they're known and if a band tours with them they'd be like "woah we're touring with korn, thats a band that'll get us recogntion because they're...Korn" lol if that makes sense. Musicially, no they're not what they were say, in the the 90's. But its because of that, i think they will step up. they ain't stupid, and they'll know they gotta do something big and different with the next album. They're willing to try different things, but they gotta drop changing their "sound" and try something brand new and different. :agreed:

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
The Dark Wolf said:
I never bought that argument completely. Vai, Van Eps, Bucky Pizzarelli, and all the guys like them (especially Vai) that were 7-string pioneers, well, we owe the world to, undoubtedly, for their influence in 7-string guitars.

Valid point -- However, correct me if i'm wrong, but didnt korn start using 7's because of Vai? I think i remember hearing that somewhere, like on 7th Heaven or something.. then again, maybe i'm mishearing or something. I doubt the 'niche' factor would have played into me wanting to get one, except maybe it'd be a bit harder, but we'd still have the old UV7's, and thats all that really matters ;p

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Metal Ken said:
Valid point -- However, correct me if i'm wrong, but didnt korn start using 7's because of Vai? I think i remember hearing that somewhere, like on 7th Heaven or something.. then again, maybe i'm mishearing or something. I doubt the 'niche' factor would have played into me wanting to get one, except maybe it'd be a bit harder, but we'd still have the old UV7's, and thats all that really matters ;p
:noway: All that really matters?! Hey, where would I be without my 2027?! :lol:

Nope, no mistake. You're totally correct, Ken. They got the 7's because of Vai. Without Vai, no 7's, really. But without Korn, probably a very limited variety of 7's.

BTW, Diary of A Madman is a fuckin' badass tune. For whatever the fuck reason, I hadn't listened to it in YEARS, and then I heard it the other day at a friend's house, and I can't stop listening to it. I am even learning it as we speak. I think I shall cover it. That has nothing to do with Korn, Vai, or 7's, but I thought I'd mention it. :lol:

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
:lol:

After Ozzy's wife had Iron Maiden pelted with eggs, i sold all my ozzy records except Blizzard, Diary and Tribute. Then i swore to never buy another ozzy record again.

(I deemed sabbath 'keepable' because sharon wasn't a part of the picture then, thus ozzy only did what cocaine, marijuana and LSD told him to).

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Metal Ken said:
(I deemed sabbath 'keepable' because sharon wasn't a part of the picture then, thus ozzy only did what cocaine, marijuana and LSD told him to).
:rofl:

3 great albums. But I'd have to add Bark and Ultimate Sin, just for the fact that I've always been a Jake E. lee fan.

b3n

...Is unacceptable.
Contributor
Reaction score
Aaron said:

Is there anyone on this board who's decision to try 7 strings was based on hearing Korn play them?

')