Korn/Head News

• Thread starter eleven59
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Kane said:
Of course it's a matter of opinion. I thought that's what one is supposed to do during a conversation: give one's opinion... no?

Actually, while you're technically correct, the implied meaning of my comment to you was :fawk:

I'm just generally too polite to come out and say it like that :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kane

Dark Scribe
Reaction score
Ahh yes, fuck me because I don't like Korn. I'm sorry I don't let MTV tell me what "metal" should sound like.

NegaTiveXero

.... Your Face!
Contributor
Reaction score
Honestly though, if there is a thread about a band you don't like why would you enter it just to say they suck? Everyone needs to chill out (if you are all pissed about this). Korn is as much of a band as Hate Eternal, they all deserved their credit. Also, last time I checked Korn is the reason we CAN play 7-Strings still. Without them, no RG7620 and so forth. All we would be able to find are discontinued Universes.

NegaTiveXero

.... Your Face!
Contributor
Reaction score
Anyway, they said they weren't ready for a new guitarist yet (it's only been like 4 months since Head officially left). Jon said it's ONLY for the European dates.

"so yes we hired rob patterson to play guitar for the european dates but he will not be on stage we dont want to use samples or tape cause that would suck we are not ready to have a new guy on stage with us this is for the first europe run only we have some new exciting ideas on how we are gonna play live in the future and i am sure it will blow your mind" Jon from BSC.

Digital Black

Reaction score
What amazes me, is that a 4 page discussion erupts on something as worthless as Korn.

Only goes to show, people gravitate towards conflict. :(

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
I can't see any reason to get mad about anything posted on a message board :scratch: I don't mind if people love or hate Korn, or any band for that matter. It's all good :lol:

If there's someone out there seriously angry, please

1) Speak up! And...

2) Seek some help :wavey:

Kane

Dark Scribe
Reaction score
NegaTiveXero said:
Honestly though, if there is a thread about a band you don't like why would you enter it just to say they suck? Everyone needs to chill out (if you are all pissed about this). Korn is as much of a band as Hate Eternal, they all deserved their credit. Also, last time I checked Korn is the reason we CAN play 7-Strings still. Without them, no RG7620 and so forth. All we would be able to find are discontinued Universes.

Lol, wtf are you talking about? Korn didn't invent the 7 string. Hell, Korn is the reason I DIDN'T play 7-strings for so many years. I don't play an Ibanez 7 string, so Korn's use of them means little to me. :wavey:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
They didn't invent them, but IMO it's no coincidence that Ibanez had discontinued the UV line, and only reintroduced them after Korn popularized seven string guitars.

Playing or not playing an instrument, be it buying a Jem because Vai plays them or not buying a 7 because Korn uses them, is a bit daft, IMO.

Now, let's try to stay away from gratuitously bashing ANY band no matter how richly they deserve it, ok? There's always Harmony Central if you really feel the need to do that.

-D

Kane

Dark Scribe
Reaction score
I didn't start out by bashing Korn =)

I agree that Ibanez probably reintroduced the 7's because of Korn, though as I said, I don't play one. I play Carvin and Shecter, and BC Rich when I can afford one.

And when all I know of 7 strings is that Korn plays them, that's reason enough not to play one, considering I've never been one for being like everyone else.

I got into 7's when I had to audition for a death metal band, and they used 7's. It took me less than a minute to convert once i got it home, slapped on the flatwounds and proceeded to crank it.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Eh, Korn's entire existance was an entire non-point for me - I'd seen some pictures of them and their sevens, true, and thought the guitars looked badass, but honestly I just liked the idea of a "middle" string. :lol:

Metal with flatwounds? How's it sound? I'd think it'd dampen your attack too much...

Kane

Dark Scribe
Reaction score
I think they sound good. I started using them for the feel though. At the time I was trying to change my style, coming off of a long period where I didn't hear anything new for years and then got introduced to the newer DM scene. Back then I thought the DM guys were playing inhumanly fast, and I liked the way the flatwounds let me slide up and down the fretboard with almost no resistance. These days I'm just used to them and trying to play on regular strings is like driving on a railroad track after driving on a slick race track.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
NegaTiveXero said:
KoRnhas accomplished alot as far as breaking through with their signiture sound that was a new sound back then. Im sure Ross Robinson had alot to do with that.

Their first album is awesome still to this day, I can pop it in and listen to it. Life Is Peachy however, has always been a more enjoyable listen.
Follow The Leader is one I dont listen to at all anymore and the same for Issues which I probably only listened to a few times.
All their radio played songs from that point on, I dig it - but not enough as I have in the past with their previous albums.

Morbid Angel on the other hand,......lol.

Kane

Dark Scribe
Reaction score
Okay, so Death Metal is too much for you, it is for most people. At least Morbid Angel got where they are based soley on their musical merits. The same cannot be said for Korn. When their first album came out, my friends and I would play it constantly. It was a kickass album. Unfortunately, after the first album they declined. Life is Peachy is not a great album. I haven't listened to it since 96-97, but doesn't it include rap-rock? With Follow the Leader, Korn degenerated further into mainstream MTV mediocrity.

Whatever a person chooses to listen to is fine. Everyone is free to like whatever they want. The only thing I take exception to is that mediocre mainstream bands are constantly touted for their groundbreaking style, or for being the best musicians, sonmg-writers and whatever else have you, while more extreme, more underground musicians get no credit, simply because they are too extreme for the mainstream. However, the bands that are doing it for the music, rather than fame and fortune, are the innovators, true artists, while the others are just entertainers.

NegaTiveXero

.... Your Face!
Contributor
Reaction score
Kane said:
Okay, so Death Metal is too much for you, it is for most people. At least Morbid Angel got where they are based soley on their musical merits. The same cannot be said for Korn. When their first album came out, my friends and I would play it constantly. It was a kickass album. Unfortunately, after the first album they declined. Life is Peachy is not a great album. I haven't listened to it since 96-97, but doesn't it include rap-rock? With Follow the Leader, Korn degenerated further into mainstream MTV mediocrity.

Whatever a person chooses to listen to is fine. Everyone is free to like whatever they want. The only thing I take exception to is that mediocre mainstream bands are constantly touted for their groundbreaking style, or for being the best musicians, sonmg-writers and whatever else have you, while more extreme, more underground musicians get no credit, simply because they are too extreme for the mainstream. However, the bands that are doing it for the music, rather than fame and fortune, are the innovators, true artists, while the others are just entertainers.

It just seems like you're a little close-minded. Everyone gets somewhere because of their talents, whether you want to see it or not Korn has talent. Songwriting doesn't have to be extremely complex to be talented, they have great rhythm. They're also a band you can relate to, great lyrics. Every band aspires to to music to be rich, whether they say it or not, they need to make a living you know.

Don't be afraid to like music that isn't underground.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Kane said:
:agreed: I got into Morbid Angel back in 1991 after hearing Blessed Are The Sick then Altars Of Madness. When Covenant came out, they were definately becoming one of my favorite bands. The videos "Rapture" and "God Of Emptiness" were great to see and I was very fortunate to catch them with Machine Head, Crowbar 11 years ago.

Morbid stole the show. Trey is an amzing guitar player to see live. He's crazy on stage. This was back in July of '94. I was only 18 years old and I was blown away by his performance. He had a Hamer V custom Kahler bridge and a UV7PWH. It was just before they recruited Eric Rutan.

Domination by far is their best album in my opinion. :metal:

Back to KoRn: Life Is Peachy sounds good to me as far as their sound. In my opinion , it has more groove than their debut.

NegaTiveXero

.... Your Face!
Contributor
Reaction score
Shawn said:
Back to KoRn: Life Is Peachy sounds good to me as far as their sound. In my opinion , it has more groove than their debut.

I like all of the Korn albums. But yeah, LIP does have more of a groove to the guitars.

Kane

Dark Scribe
Reaction score
NegaTiveXero said:
It just seems like you're a little close-minded. Everyone gets somewhere because of their talents, whether you want to see it or not Korn has talent. Songwriting doesn't have to be extremely complex to be talented, they have great rhythm. They're also a band you can relate to, great lyrics. Every band aspires to to music to be rich, whether they say it or not, they need to make a living you know.

Don't be afraid to like music that isn't underground.

I may seem close-minded, but I assure you that's not the case. I was commenting on a pervasive mindset that I've encountered repeatedly throughout the years. I am actually quite varied in my musical tastes. I love classical and celtic instrumentals and vocals. I like classic rock, several forms of metal, a little country. I grew up on Christian contemporary gospel, heh. I like some modern "R&B" as well as oldschool blues. I dig the Bagpipes. I enjoy American folk music. What I listen to is greatly varied, Death Metal is just my passion. Like I've said, I was totally into Korn's first album, so I know they are talented. That's why it burns my ass all the more that they've wasted that talent.

Shawn, right on. I thought you were laughing at Morbid. I think Domination is my favorite as well, I love Rutan's leads. I got to see Morbid play at the Whiskey A-go-go back in '92 with Immolation, Exhorder and Goreaphobia(I think). It was an awesome show, even though Trey was at home with montezuma's revenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
')