Korn - See You on the Other Side

• Thread starter Drache713
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drache713

Contributor
Reaction score
Picked this album up yesterday, and after a day of listening I think it's time for a review.

First off, this does NOT sound like old Korn, so if that's the only Korn you like don't pick this up.

That said, IMHO...holy shit! It's pretty different, I feel that they did actually reinvent themselves since Head left. It has a very industrial/electronic vibe to it (now I think about it, has a sort of slower darker Orgy vibe), and yet it has a lot of slower groove based heavy riffs, with some death metal style vocals (including his spaz-tastic style vocals as on Follow the Leader), but a lot of "pop" based vocals too. I hear a lot of Untouchables on here, with a little Take a Look in the Mirror, Follow the Leader, and Issues. I almost forgot - the bagpipes are back! :hbang:

This album definently is Munky's time to shine, it's very experimental and has him using many different strange tones. Very creative.

So if you're a fan of old Korn, pass on this. But if you're a fan of their newer albums, DEFINENTLY pick this one up. Highlight tracks for me are Twisted Transistor, Hypocrites, 10 or a 2-Way, Coming Undone, Getting Off, and especially Liar! :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NegaTiveXero

.... Your Face!
Contributor
Reaction score
Definitely, this CD is amazing. I love listening to it, I can't stop. Korn really outdid themselves this time.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
They had Korn guest-DJ'ing on a local radio station during my drive home last night (107.3, WAAF out of Boston), and I gotta say, 1.) they sound like WAY bigger dorks than I imagined, and 2.) Coming Undone was actually pretty cool.

avery

2027: now with trem!
Reaction score
I picked up the CD on Tuesday when it came out and wanted to love it... but I just don't. There are good moments on there, 'Liar' is really good.. and one of the other ones near the end of the album, can't remember the name. I just wasn't feeling 80% of it though.

AND the CD copy proctection pisses me off. I can't listen to the freakin' thing in iTunes, on my iPod, or on my Music Keg in my car. Which basically means I can't listen to it anywhere. Why, oh why do record companies insist on treating paying customers like criminals?

Shorty

Guitar Buying Frenzy!
Contributor
Reaction score
I bought it and sold it on. I really wanted to like this CD, I REALLY did. I have been a fan since the first Korn album came out. I just can't. It sounds weak to my ears. Guitars are down in the mix, John Davis vocals sound recycled and drab. The electronic sounds are not done with any bite and sound forced. David Silvera sounds like he has been replaced by a bontempi $10 drum machine.

A dissapointing collection of recycled Korn riffs with "product" stamped all over it. They sound complacent and bored.

nyck

blah!
Reaction score
I was hoping for more of a groove metal without the electronic sounds...

I was definetly surprised when i heard the other songs on the album. They're a completly new band now. I can't say I like it, but it's good for a listen every once in a while.

avery

Reaction score
Ancestor said:
Sony is going to stop using anti-copy software. A court ruled that it was considered spyware:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051121/tc_nm/sony_texas_dc

Sony's going to stop using that particular software for copy proctection.. Turns out installing hacker technology (the rootkit) on customers computers pisses them off a little. Who knew??

Don't bet on them giving up on copy protection entirely though. It's not going to happen. They're convinced that their customers are all crooks and are going to steal from them.

I for one will never again buy another copy protected CD. I wouldn't have bought the Korn one in the first place, if I had known it was copy protected.. didn't look close enough at it in the store. The labels are just hanging themselves with this crap.

jski7

Reaction score
WTF ?! 10 posts in and no flames yet ? On a Korn topic too ? My , we HAVE become civilzed :lol: . Anyways , as one of the bigger Korn heads here , I have to say that this album is cool , but not really what I'd hoped for . I like it alot , but I expected a little more "heavy" as opposed to "industrial" . Munky's new sounds and tones are damn cool though .... :yesway: . One thing I will say is that Korn could make some new fans based solely on this album . It's diferent enough from their others to appeal to a newer crowd .

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
jski7 said:
WTF ?! 10 posts in and no flames yet ? On a Korn topic too ? My , we HAVE become civilzed :lol:

Although I don't really like much of the new Korn stuff, I have to completely agree with that statement. Isn't that encouraging that the thread isn't flooded with flames? (an oxymoron? paradox?)

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
jski7 said:
WTF ?! 10 posts in and no flames yet ? On a Korn topic too ? My , we HAVE become civilzed :lol: .
We all just know we dont have to restate all our opinions since everyknow who comes here regularly knows everyone elses view on them :lol:

Roland777

Reaction score
Shorty said:
I bought it and sold it on. I really wanted to like this CD, I REALLY did. I have been a fan since the first Korn album came out. I just can't. It sounds weak to my ears.

Sounds like what I thought of "take a look in the mirror".

Digital Black

Reaction score
I have it now as well. Not as good as the real old stuff. Actually, not real impressive at all. Fun to isten in the car-that's about it..

Nats

Reaction score
i like it. i think some of the songs would sound heavy(ier) if they didn't have the industrial vibe.

BTW, it plays just fine in my itunes and ipod

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm a big, big Korn fan. But I have to say, I'll pass on this album. I think 'Issues' was thre band's peak.

Bored and complacent. That sounds about right, I think.

King_nothing621

Reaction score
The first few times I listened to the album i didn't really enjoy it but now I love the hell out of it.

avery

Reaction score
Nats said:
BTW, it plays just fine in my itunes and ipod

Really? I've tried it on two of my computers, and iTunes doesn't even see the disc, let alone import it.

ajdehoogh

blarg
Contributor
Reaction score
Got the CD, put on my Ipod. My verdict: I LIKE IT! :metal: It has that 'wierdness' (in lack of a better word) that I like in KoRn but different from their other cds. I can't wait till I see them live. I wasn't to impressed with the SNL performance. They are much better live. The sound just hits ya!

')