Korn - See You on the Other Side

• Thread starter Drache713
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
I downloaded the CD to give it a listen. I usually do that and if I really like 4 or more songs I order the CD on Amazon. I've purchased countless CD's checking them out this way and I feel it's a fair method to make sure the CD is worth buying. With this latest Korn CD I have to agree... it certainly isn't like any other Korn material. It IS completely something new. Sadly, I think most of it sucks. However I absolutely fucking love the tracks "Throw Me Away" and "Open Up". They are two amazing tracks. I have to also admit while I initially hated "Twisted Transitor" it has certainly grown on me and I listen to it too now. So that's only three tracks which to me isn't worth buying the CD. I'll be giving the other tracks a few more listens to see if I've changed my opinions but so far I think this is by far their weakest CD. It's just too much and too sudden of a change. When you're used to a band being a certain style it's hard to accept such a dramatic change especially when it's far off from the original style. Luckily I have a very large palette of musical interest all the way from super heavy material to super light ambient emotional stuff as well as electronic music so I like the style of some of the songs though it still feels really odd coming from Korn.

Rev.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Like I said, I'm not a Korn fan, but there are a few Korn songs that I love, such as: Blind, Ball Tongue, Got The Life, Freak On A Leash, etc. But I haven't liked ANYTHING I've heard off the new CD. Sounds pretty crappy to me. And most people I know who normally like Korn have been telling me that the new album sucks. So, I have to believe 'em... I didn't like anything I heard off "Untouchables" either. It was starting to sound really old. And now, they completely changed their style, but not in a good way.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Naren said:
Like I said, I'm not a Korn fan, but there are a few Korn songs that I love, such as: Blind, Ball Tongue, Got The Life, Freak On A Leash, etc. But I haven't liked ANYTHING I've heard off the new CD. Sounds pretty crappy to me. And most people I know who normally like Korn have been telling me that the new album sucks. So, I have to believe 'em... I didn't like anything I heard off "Untouchables" either. It was starting to sound really old. And now, they completely changed their style, but not in a good way.
:agreed: I feel the same way. Im a fan of their first 2 albums and always have been ever since they came out, Follow The Leader is a good album too and there are some songs of Issues that are cool but other than that I just slowly lost interest. I've seen Korn twice, once in '97 and the other time was in '99 since then, I never even cared to go see them again. Not that they don't put on a great show because they put on a hell of a show but it's mostly because their material since Issues hasn't really appealed to me that much.

ecalcagnino

\mm/
Contributor
Reaction score
Just got it today... damn, I REALLY like it. I like the NIN underpinnings, I think it really adds a dimension to an already good band. The production is finally there, too.

In general, whoever thought it was a good idea in the first place to distort bass guitars should be forced to give Kevin Federline a rimjob.

:barf:

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
ecalcagnino said:
In general, whoever thought it was a good idea in the first place to distort bass guitars should be forced to give Kevin Federline a rimjob.

So far, the nastiest, most vomit-inducing mental picture of the year. Thanks Eric!

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
ecalcagnino said:
Just got it today... damn, I REALLY like it. I like the NIN underpinnings, I think it really adds a dimension to an already good band. The production is finally there, too.

You can't honestly tell me you hate all distorted bass. There's not a single song you like that has distorted bass? Even Cliff Burton's stuff?

CyBerAliEn

Reaction score
All in all.... I like the album. It's definately different. At first it was a bit of a shock and I wasn't really liking too many of the tracks, but after a couple of listens it definately grew on me. I enjoy listening to all the songs on the album, except for the very last one (Tearjerker).... it's unique, but not really something enjoyable to listen to (nothing but vocals for the majority of it... so no drums/bass/guitars/etc to follow or enjoy :( until the very very end of it). Songs that seem to really stand out to me that I keep going back to are Politics, Hypocrites, For No One, Open Up, and Souvenir of Sadness. But the rest of the tracks I also enjoy equally, lol... I even would rank this pretty highly of my favorite Korn albums...
1-Follow The Leader
2-Issues
3-See You On The Other Side
4-Korn
5-Take A Look In The Mirror
6-Untouchables
7-Life Is Peachy

But unfortunately I think they could of made the album better. There's a number of B-Sides that are out and available that I would say are better than some of the songs that were chosen for the album. Songs like Eaten Up Inside, Last Legal Drug, Appears, Inside Out, & It's Me Again are all GREAT songs (a la Liar, and other more 'classic' Korn), but unfortunately they weren't put on the album :( (though a few are on the bonus CD of the album; and I found the others online somewhere).

ecalcagnino

\mm/
Contributor
Reaction score
eleven59 said:
You can't honestly tell me you hate all distorted bass. There's not a single song you like that has distorted bass? Even Cliff Burton's stuff?

Ok, this is all pretty strong on opinion but I intend no insult and make no apologies...

There is not one instance that I can think of where I said to myself, "Hey, that's some nice distorted bass!" or, " You know what this song needs is some distorted bass!".

The only exception is 70s punk because their gear was about $15. Badly ODd amps added to the feel. I am not saying I like it because in general I mostly don't. BUT, the difference is that was the gear not a $400 midi-controlled distortion to add effect and take away all dynamic properties of the instrument to make it "heavy", which it doesn't accomplish anyway.

Seriously, Cliff to me is one of the most over-hyped players. It's like Kirk, too, and many others. The metal community glommed onto whatever possible in an effort to legitimize a band or itself as a genre. Complete narcissism. I almost think that all Cliff had were whiteout dots on his fretboard to show him where all the 1-3-5s were in Em.

Again, all my insignificant opinion and frankly, not a very well thought out one, I haven't slept in 3 days. I am just calling a spade a spade. Cliff blows despite his distortion. Add that and it's poop soup.

:flame: on.

Sentient

Metal Dog
Contributor
Reaction score
ecalcagnino said:
Seriously, Cliff to me is one of the most over-hyped players. It's like Kirk, too, and many others. The metal community glommed onto whatever possible in an effort to legitimize a band or itself as a genre. Complete narcissism. I almost think that all Cliff had were whiteout dots on his fretboard to show him where all the 1-3-5s were in Em.

Again, all my insignificant opinion and frankly, not a very well thought out one, I haven't slept in 3 days. I am just calling a spade a spade. Cliff blows despite his distortion. Add that and it's poop soup.
Ouch. That was indeed, pretty rough. No flame intended here, my friend, as we'll just agree to disagree. But in all sincerity, I hope you can work a nap in pretty soon. I know you've got a lot going on currently, but... (glancing back at "whiteout dots" & "poop soup") ...dude, just try to get some sleep soon.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
ecalcagnino said:
Seriously, Cliff to me is one of the most over-hyped players. Cliff blows despite his distortion.

Must. Walk. Away. From. Keyboard. :wallbash:

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
noodles said:
Must. Walk. Away. From. Keyboard. :wallbash:

I know what you mean, dude... I'm trying to force myself away from the keyboard at this moment too... :noplease:

TheReal7

Mr. Melody
Contributor
Reaction score
ecalcagnino said:
There is not one instance that I can think of where I said to myself, "Hey, that's some nice distorted bass!" or, " You know what this song needs is some distorted bass!".

Funny you say this. Chances are almost EVERY metal, rock, death metal doom, etc etc album out there uses overdrive and distortion on the bass in some way or form. Hell, I did my whole album with clean bass and it was just not cutting it. Bought a RBI bass driver and added some OD to the bass and HOLY SHIT. That is what was missing in the bass sound. Do you like Tool? I haven't heard a clean bass riff on any Tool song yet. If fact, there is usually OD on everything from the drums to the vocals. Just not in and massively overkill way.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
I love clean, punchy bass. Fieldy's bass sound is to me about perfect. I love that fat, crisp, R&B slap bass sound. Bass distortion... eh. I can't ever really find a good use for it. I don't hate it, but when I a/b it to a clean, punchy bass sound, the clean wins every time, and I go, eh.. maybe next time I'll find something distorted bass will work on. ;)

ecalcagnino

\mm/
Contributor
Reaction score
I guess I should differentiate between distorted bass and ODd bass. A little goes a long way and when I speak of distorted bass I mean like Cliff had and some nasty nu-metal stuff. Tool falls in the tastefully done category and I wouldn't call that bad.

I KNEW I crossed a line with that Cliff statement. :fawk: Putting Cliff on this can-do-no-wrong pedestal is like adding Cobain to G3. How's that one? :shred:

Just messing with you guys. C'mon. :ugh:

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, since one of my favourite songs ever is "Hysteria" by Muse, I think I can safely say I really love distorted bass :lol:

Jason

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Shawn said:
:agreed: I feel the same way. Im a fan of their first 2 albums and always have been ever since they came out, Follow The Leader is a good album too and there are some songs of Issues that are cool but other than that I just slowly lost interest. I've seen Korn twice, once in '97 and the other time was in '99 since then, I never even cared to go see them again. Not that they don't put on a great show because they put on a hell of a show but it's mostly because their material since Issues hasn't really appealed to me that much.

+1 cept i only saw them once lol :lol:...or was it twice?? :scratch:

Roland777

Reaction score
Ryou4Eighty6 said:
I used to play bass in a band before i did 7 string and distortion to bass is great, as long as it doesnt use the same freq that the guitar uses.. then its a waste, who:noplease: ever hates distroted bass can eat moneky doo!!!!

Bass-tone on Meshuggah's Chaosphere is the most bad-ass bass I've ever heard.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Cliff was good, but he wasnt the greatest. I think my favorite dead metal musician is Roger Patterson from Atheist. now THAT guy was a fucking INSANE bassist. and there was no distortion to be found. Same w/ Steve DiGiorgio of Testament. And Eric Langlois of Cryptopsy. Also a brutal player with a clean sound.

I Do think distortion sounds cool sometimes.. Like the thrash band Sodom, they're only a 3 piece. During guitar solos the bassist uses the Overdrive to make it sounds more full, and kinda mimic a rythm guitar.

')