Korns 94-98 Sound

• Thread starter kf7strng
  • Start date
  • Tags
    korn
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kf7strng

Reaction score
I have been looking all over for someone who has an Idea of how to get "korn tone" without Mesas. I could never find a good lead. So I started experimenting on my own.

My Setup:

-2013 Basswood RG7420 with Blaze Neck Pickup in the bridge
-Crate GLX65 (play with the EQ to suit your playing environment. I felt it was easier to adjust this EQ rather than the one on the RP255):
For starters:
-(Playing through the clean channel):
-Bass :9 or 10
- Mids:0 (Scoops better than the pedal)
-Treb:6
-Vol: NOON (6)
-Both Solo/Rhythm and solo/clean buttons set to Rhythm
- To play the opening riff for "clown" I use the overdrive channel as well as the RP255 to give me that raunchy overdriven tone of the infamous "Bigger Muff" by Richard Kaplan. (turn that f#$%in Rhythm channel OFF when you arent using it.. its loud as BALLS even with the gate set @ 54!!
-Rhythm channel:Gain :6 Lows: (i forget 12?? I'm at work right now. I may edit later) Mids :5 Highs:6.

-Digitech RP255
-NO compressor
- Amp type :'83 Marshall JCM 800
-Gain @77
-Volume: Up to you. Mines at 57
-EQ: Bass:12 Mids:1 Treb:2 (this blends with the amp EQ)
-Distortion: I forget right off the top of my head. Its either the TS808 or the TS9.
-Noise Gate: Threshold:54 Attack:0 Release :40-43
-NO Delay
-NO Chorus
-Preset volume at 55/57

Like i said.. its no Mesa, but its as close as I have ever got so far without spending like $1300 on a head..

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nag

chugs and screams
Reaction score
a sound clip ? maybe ?

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
Is there an actual KoRn sound pack for it now then? I haven't looked at the in app purchases or sound shares in a while.

Just the ones I made and uploaded, I tweeted the video to Head & Munky a while ago but no have idea if they got into JamUp.

ToS

7-string abuser
Reaction score
I have been looking all over for someone who has an Idea of how to get "korn tone" without Mesas.

Well, first of all, Korn´s tone has dramatically evolved in the quoted time frame (94-98): their debut album has seen UV7s played through Marshall amps & Big Muff distortion on some parts, LIP heavily relied on UV7s and raw Mesa distortion, while FtL introduced (custom) RG7s and a more balanced Mesa tone...

Which tone do you want to go for?

kf7strng

Reaction score
Which tone do you want to go for?

I like the tone on the self-titled album the best, although its also awesome on LIP and FTL as well. I think I have it "close enough" for my liking. (I dont play out/professionally) so my ear is the only one that needs to be happy. Like I said.. I only have an RP255, and a Crate 65 watt (solid-state) amp.

I wish I had the money for a Mesa triple rec. THAT was apparently 99% of heads tone back then (or was it a JCM900??) I dont remember. Either way I still have to upload a sample for you guys. Hopefully I can get that done this weekend.

As far as Jamup, I've never heard of it. I just checked it out though. I am part of the evil android world, and i dont see a version available for us yet.

ToS

7-string abuser
Reaction score
ok, for their self-titled album you can go with the Marshall simulation of the RP (worked for me on an older RP version). Just cut the mids and crank the gain all the way up. For their late 90s stuff try the Mesa simulation (mids slightly cut, bass up and a litte bit of treble). If you´re using cabinet simulation try a few different settings.

And btw. it´s impossible to duplicate that exact album tone even with a Rectifier (albeit it comes close).

kf7strng

Reaction score
ok, for their self-titled album you can go with the Marshall simulation of the RP (worked for me on an older RP version). Just cut the mids and crank the gain all the way up. For their late 90s stuff try the Mesa simulation (mids slightly cut, bass up and a litte bit of treble). If you´re using cabinet simulation try a few different settings.

And btw. it´s impossible to duplicate that exact album tone even with a Rectifier (albeit it comes close).

Thats pretty much what I use on the RP255. Marshall JCM800, Vintage V30 cab model (gain at 77 I think) Volume 57 Bass @ 12, Mids @ -1, highs @ 2. And I believe the Distortion i use is one of the tube screamer models. I'm not sure what I have that set at. I have tried using the Big Muff but it sounds way to sludgy with my setup.

Also on the RP 255, I have the Amp/Mixer button set to "Mixer" instead of amp. I like the way it sounds, even though I'm not running into a mixer.

I also have another patch I use that has virtually the same settings, except I use the '01 Recto model, withe the v30 cab sim, and on this patch instead of pedal volume I use the whammy.

Also It seemed like right off the bat replacing the stock IBZ "Axis 7" pickup with the Dimarzio DP700 Neck in the bridge made a LOT of difference. This pickup has scooped mids anyway. And thats what they used from 94-96 at least. (Although Munky still uses blazes, his apex signatures have blaze bridge pickups in the bridge vs the neck pickup in 94)

kf7strng

Reaction score
By the way, Zombie13... those patches are SICK. Kinda makes me wish I owned an Ipad... a little.... haha

Reaction score
Zombie that was a great tone comparison video, damn, probably one of the best I have seen.

It sounds really close.

kf7strng

Reaction score
Well guys, I tried recording a tone sample. My laptop has a terrible sound card. It sounds god awful when its recorded and there is a delay from when I play to when the soundcard plays it back.

I'll keep trying it, but in the mean time... go get Jamup if you have an iOS device I guess. Seems to work GREAT for zombie.

Chi

Niverlare
Reaction score
I'd still love to know a way how to emulate that Life is Peachy muddy-goodness. I'm kinda' over that "gotta' have that tone"-period, but every now and then I get foam from my mouth and I just wanna' sound like that.

ToS

7-string abuser
Reaction score
I'd still love to know a way how to emulate that Life is Peachy muddy-goodness.

UV7 (early 90s model) -> Mesa Rectifier -> Marshall cabinets....

pretty easy to nail that tone when you have these toys :D

Chi

Niverlare
Reaction score
Yeeeah I figured. That's why I wrote emulate, since I don't own these toys. ;) I do own an Apex with PAF's though, that helps a little.

sunung1188

Reaction score
I've always got the impression that Korn does most of the sound in the 'after process mixing'

')