Korns 94-98 Sound

• Thread starter kf7strng
  • Start date
  • Tags
    korn
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sunung1188

Reaction score
To add, googling some of their processing gear and vsts might be a good place to further expand your already golden knowledge and passion!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kf7strng

Reaction score
The distortion I used on my Korn 94 patch was the Proco Rat sim on the RP255. The tone, at least to my ear, and the positioning of my amp just does it for me. Its so bad ass that i USED TO (stress USED TO) have the 160 watt sub i have on my guitar home theater cranked when i was jamming... well... Not so much anymore. In fact, the sub is off. haha

And it seems like i play better now too (probably because i can hear the notes now, instead of it sounding like two midgets crappin in a bucket. AND learning how to correctly use an amp.and that Blaze pickup.... christ is that thing amazing.

I'll post a few pics of my rig. THAT part shouldnt be hard.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
I seem to recall that both guitarists used Ibanez UV 7 string guitars at the time that the self-titled album was recorded. Of course these were tuned to A. One used a Mesa Triple Rectifier with Mesa Recto cabs while the other used an H&K head and a Peavey cab with Sheffield speakers.

They were/are also big into random effects pedals.

FILTHnFEAR

Dread it, run from it....
Reaction score
I was gonna say in their self titled era Head used a Hughes & Kettner. A Triamp MkI, IIRC. Being a total Korn fanboy was why I bought my H&K Tube100 back around '96. Still got it, still love it.

My Ibby 1527 + Blazes + H&K = old school Korn all day.

kf7strng

Reaction score
On Richard Kaplans Studio Rat podcast he actually said for a lot of the 1st album he used a small 30 watt amp at full blast to capture the overdub. Which is interesting. I think Richard was a LOT of their record tone for Korn 1 and LIP. And record tone is the easiest to mimic. Mimicking live sound is a total shitshow because of the acoustics of each venue.

The biggest lesson i had to learn was this: Your amp HATES being turned down low. At my parents I always had it turned down low.. with a shit house full of gain. (that was 4.5 years ago) And then I moved into my own place in 2010. And.. LAST MONTH (sad I know) I finally said.. I have been trying for so many years ti get this tone. Lets get a Blaze Neck pickup and go from there. So i got one.

And then when adjusting the RP255 to that pickup, I thought.. "Hey.. lets crank my amp from a 3... up to about 6 or 7, and back off the gain a bit..(from like 99 to 77). BAM! And the sad part is I have heard their guitar techs say this time and time again that korn (even though they use triple recs) "back off the gain and crank the volume".

And I have my amp down low, under a shelf, which is surrounded by brick wall. I'm at work now, I'll get a pic tonight if i can. And another lesson I learned is that it doesnt matter what it sounds like when it comes out of the amp(unless you are miking it). It matters what it sounds like when it gets to your ear.

@filthandfear: I always wanted a prestige level guitar. I liked munkys 1077 style "paw print" guitar. Heads mirror finish, and silverburst are pretty sweet too.

kf7strng

Reaction score
Sorry to revive a long dead thread, but in case anyone is wondering.. I bought a mesa triple rec with a marshall 4x12 slant. That's 95% of the sound. Stick a tube screamer in front of that and it's 99% without an is box or knowing what vsts they use to nail their tone.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Just the ones I made and uploaded, I tweeted the video to Head & Munky a while ago but no have idea if they got into JamUp.

You tweeted it to them then those pud whackers blocked it on copyright grounds... Thanks Brian; thanks James! :nuts:

')