Krank has improved their amps.

• Thread starter LordOVchaoS
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
This year they updated both the Krankenstein and Rev1 with new transformers and 6550 (KT88) tubes.

I must say I'm curious. I liked the Rev1 to begin with but I REALLY want to try out one of the new ones!

I also heard today from a very reliable source that the new Krankenstein is KILLER! This came from a guy that knows tone, is very experienced, owns SEVERAL great amps, and was a previous Krank hater. He now owns it and it's his new favorite amp.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

WarriorOfMetal

The Dragonrider
Contributor
Reaction score
I also heard today from a very reliable source that the new Krankenstein is KILLER! This came from a guy that knows tone, is very experienced, owns SEVERAL great amps, and was a previous Krank hater. He now owns it and it's his new favorite amp.

to see if it's the same person i think it might be, is it an HCAF member who also currently owns a Splawn Nitro, Bugera 6260, and just bought a Savage 120? if so, that guy's tastes are a little bit questionable....he COMPLETELY scoops out the mids on his amps and at least used to use a Powerball EQd that way, through a Vader 4x12 and iSP Vector guitar subwoofer :lol:

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
to see if it's the same person i think it might be, is it an HCAF member who also currently owns a Splawn Nitro, Bugera 6260, and just bought a Savage 120? if so, that guy's tastes are a little bit questionable....he COMPLETELY scoops out the mids on his amps and at least used to use a Powerball EQd that way, through a Vader 4x12 and iSP Vector guitar subwoofer :lol:

:lol: that's the guy. magh8. He boosts them all with a Bloody Murder rack so it's ok :lol: I've spoken with the guy on the phone and he does know his stuff! I didn't know about all the scooping. Anybody who has two Vader 4x12's is cool in my book :hbang:

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
I would make the crack that Krank's couldn't have sucked any more than they did, but I digress. :D

If they can make a killer 6550/kt-88 powered amp it would be cool by me.

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
they would be better if the prices weren't retarded

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I would make the crack that Krank's couldn't have sucked any more than they did, but I digress. :D

If they can make a killer 6550/kt-88 powered amp it would be cool by me.

:fawk:

I always liked them. The Rev1 is a killer amp when paired with a good cab and a guy that knows how to dial in an amp. The Krank cabs = not good cabs. 50% of people try the amps out with matching cabs in music stores and I can see why they don't like them. Then 40% or so have never tried them but hate them because t3h intarweb said it's the cool thing to do. 10% or so have actually tried them through a good cab and didn't like them. Krank cabs SUCK! The amps kick ass.

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
they would be better if the prices weren't retarded

I never thought their prices were that bad. They're between Peaveys and Mesas in price which I think is right where they should be. They use good parts and their build quality is very impressive. What's to complain about? $1600 isn't shit for a good tube amp.

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Question - in all the videos I see of "This Godless Endeavor" either being recorded or in videos, both Loomis and Smyth are using Krank amps. At least they're the only ones plugged into and powered on. Did they get that sick tone on the record with Kranks?

I plan on picking up a head sometime in the next few months and I really can't dig on the Mesa sound. Krank and Peavey were on my shortlists.

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
I liked the Krank Rev, but never cared for the Krankenstien.

Still not my thing, but it sounded good. I like my amps more raw, which is why I :wub: my 5150 II

WarriorOfMetal

The Dragonrider
Contributor
Reaction score
:lol: that's the guy. magh8. He boosts them all with a Bloody Murder rack so it's ok :lol: I've spoken with the guy on the phone and he does know his stuff! I didn't know about all the scooping. Anybody who has two Vader 4x12's is cool in my book :hbang:

yeah, he and his co-guitarist in his band both scoop their mids completely :lol:

amazingly, you can still kinda hear what they're doing live :yesway:

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
well if they BOTH scoop it then that helps eachothers audibility for sure :lol:

im yet to hear a crank sound good in person. ive heard a few clips that sounded decent, but who knows with webclips you know?

if the upgrades included improving them, then they could very well be worth looking into

for the first time in history :lol:

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I saw destroy the runner a while ago, they use kranks and sounded good, the distortion is just a little dry

SeanC

loves metal
Reaction score
I never understood what all the hate for Krank is about. I tried out the Rev at NAMM a couple years ago and I thought it was pretty sweet. I also saw God Forbid live and they were using Krankensteins and they sounded really awesome, probably even one of the best live guitar tones I've ever heard. Krank wouldn't be my first choice in amp when it comes to what I would want but these upgraded ones sound mighty intriguing.

WarriorOfMetal

The Dragonrider
Contributor
Reaction score
I never understood what all the hate for Krank is about. I tried out the Rev at NAMM a couple years ago and I thought it was pretty sweet. I also saw God Forbid live and they were using Krankensteins and they sounded really awesome, probably even one of the best live guitar tones I've ever heard. Krank wouldn't be my first choice in amp when it comes to what I would want but these upgraded ones sound mighty intriguing.

you must have missed out on the way they came on the scene....their original website outright bashed other manufacturers (by name), and was just generally unprofessional. then they went around throwing around endorsement deals to everyone and posting fake shill reviews on HC, had employees on the HC boards as shills, and all this for amps that are too easy to make sound bad, too hard to make sound good, and cost way too much for what they are.

neon_black88

Reaction score
Question - in all the videos I see of "This Godless Endeavor" either being recorded or in videos, both Loomis and Smyth are using Krank amps. At least they're the only ones plugged into and powered on. Did they get that sick tone on the record with Kranks?

I plan on picking up a head sometime in the next few months and I really can't dig on the Mesa sound. Krank and Peavey were on my shortlists.

They used a mix of Mesa and Krank for all the rhythm tones.

SeanC

loves metal
Reaction score
you must have missed out on the way they came on the scene....their original website outright bashed other manufacturers (by name), and was just generally unprofessional. then they went around throwing around endorsement deals to everyone and posting fake shill reviews on HC, had employees on the HC boards as shills, and all this for amps that are too easy to make sound bad, too hard to make sound good, and cost way too much for what they are.

I guess I never really heard of all that. If its true then I guess that mostly justifies the senseless bashing, and I do agree they seem a little on the expensive for what they are, I mean hell, for the price they're asking you could almost buy a powerball and I don't think theres any contest there. It certainly wouldn't hurt their cause to drop their prices a few hundred bucks.

AARRGGHHH

Fretboard Wizzard
Reaction score
im yet to hear a crank sound good in person. ive heard a few clips that sounded decent, but who knows with webclips you know?

Yeah, that my experience with them. I've not had a chance to play through one of them because nowhere stocks them round here, and to be honest they don't really seem like my kinda amp, and I'm totally happy with my current setup.

But yeah, I saw a band not long ago with one guitarist who was using a Krank of some sort (I'm presuming it was what ever Dimebag used because he was using a Dime sig guitar :shrug:) and his live tone sounded ok when boosted for leads, but the rhythm tone sounded pretty thin and fizzy from the crowd, but I'm pretty sure that was just the way he had it dialed in. He was running it through one of the other bands cabs, it was an Engl slant cab of some sort.

Bound

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
Contributor
Reaction score
They'd better have their shit together, especially after building that astronomical amount of gear for Mordhaus.

')